HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So much for all my lectures about over-priced Microsoft hardware - they never completely failed me as the HP has done. I just wish they had stuck with Wacom EMR from the Gen 1 Surface Pro...

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Dude, (I never call anyone that so beware my comment), with all the sympathy and love you know are yours - what were you thinkin? I mean, you had a defective active digitizer, no doubt. 2 different pens had bad skipping. Now, you could certainly do worse (though spend a lot less) than going back to MS hdwe but, I mean, even HP is allowed to ship a bad display sometimes. If that machine was as good as you (and legions of others) have said (and it uses similar, if not identical active digitizing tech as MS uses) would not the many highly positive attributes you said it has combined with comparatively low price/performance justify trying at least one replacement unit? I get that you're pissed and need to kick that rat, just don't kick yourself in the process. :-D Or what, $2,500 for a SB2 w/no TB port?

3. dstrauss

Jeff - see my new signature - I have found nirvana with the lowly Galaxy Book 12 (only 4gb/128gb) thanks to my converted Cross felt pen.

Years ago I gutted a Cross gold felt pen (matching my Cross pen and pencil set) a replaced the felt cartridge with a Galaxy Note 3 S-Pen. Tonight I pulled the old S-Pen, inserted my spare Galaxy Note 7 S-Pen, and my god, it is the best writing experience I have ever had on any device. can't describe it - smooth perfect ink (print or cursive), closest feel ever to pen on paper - just an unbelievable experience. I realize that I am sounding like a nut case, but this is best writing experience ever.

I highly recommend others try this - only downside is no access to the S-Pen side button for erasing.

So - it is Wacom EMR or bust. NO MORE N-TRIG! If Acer Switch 7 doesn't look real, and REAL SOON, I'm moving up to the 8gb/256gb GB12 until a worthy successor Wacom EMR device emerges.

DRTigerlilly and lovelaptops like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Are we witnessing the birth of a Kickstarter project here?

5. dstrauss

I'm afraid Cross would never allow it - but it would be grand.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Staedtler went along, maybe Parker or some other pen maker. How about a Mont Blanc holder?

dstrauss and lovelaptops like this.
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Mont Blanc puts their brand on anything, they mark up the price and use fancy terms ("precious resin" for plastic, "ceramic" for glaze, and so on) but they sell plain old plastic pens, plain old plastic EMR pens, and even junk capacitive Adonit pens with the Mont Blanc brand on them.

I think only Wacom ever made ergonomic pens like the Bamboo Ink and the Art Pen. It's so silly, here's a $50 or $100 pen and the maker doesn't even bother to make it comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Dale, I'm gushing with pride of you, buddy.
    So, if only you could have known this oh, say, 2 computer purchases ago, 2 system setups ago, 2 quizzical clients ago...Once again we seem to have the triumph of perspiration over inspiration - or was it the other way around?? (i..e. just how sweaty were the moments of the "X" pen solution [let's not bring trademark issues into the mix!] discovery vs. stylus jamming?)

My head is starting to hurt. Meantime, as my peoples' people would say: Mazel tov!

9. dstrauss

Good for your peeps Jeff!

Believe it or not, I have wrestled with "MORE POWER" vs "ITTY BITTY LIVING SPACE" since I bought my first laptop. Here is one of the best computer articles written - EVER - by Jim Seymour - The Quest for the Least Computer. I owned that T1200 and traded down to the T1000 (with a very expensive 768kb, yes KB, ram drive that made it run like a demon) because it was the smallest, lightest, and most portable device at the time. (PS - my "little" T1000 weighed about as much as THREE of the GB12's).

So now that I have emerged from the confessional (my peeps :vbbiggrin:) admitting Wacom EMR means more to me that any other specs, I'm ready to follow your commentary on @Bronsky 's tragic loss of 3 minutes per day waiting on the Surface 3 to open files or websites. Even with only 4gb ram/128gb ssd, the i5 in the GB 12 is no slouch, and the 8gb/256gb model would give me more Chrome tab space and headroom for Outlook, OneNote, and Word.

So now its just a question of upgrade the GB 12, wait on the Acer Switch 7, or hope for a successor to the GB 12 with modern internals and TB3. But one thing is for certain, I'm not going back to N-Trig of ANY flavor.:hi::newpalm::thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I am curious, what model Cross pen?

I remember they used to sell a Wacom pen wonder what soured that relationship.

oh and photos please?