HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Set up the Spectre x360 13" - nice little computer, but the pen experience is AWFUL - the "new" rechargeable tilt pen has an eraser (YES) and programmable button

BUT THE NIB AND INKING IS AS BAD AS THE HP 500!

The nib is as hard as a rock, and just like the Apple Pencil slides on the glass and makes that gawd-awful tapping sound when printing onscreen.

Why or why can't these OEM's get their $#it straight!

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Would not a replacement nib - or pen - fix this?

3. dstrauss

HP has NO replacement nibs for this new been - not the original design or anything else - no plan for alternatives.

The MS Pen feels better on the glass, but the ink skips a lot - decisions decisions. You don't know how much I want to just QUIT and stick with this. "Stick" is an unfair word - it is a great laptop (I like it a lot better than the MS Laptop or MacBook Pro 13) just the writing experience sucks (but then again, everything sucks except for Wacom EMR tablets).

COME ON SAMSUNG, bring us an S-Pen moleskin replacement.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Agreed in principle that "everything sux but EMR" but, though I haven't tried 2017 vintage MS Ntrig pen/screen (is that what HP's active display is spec'd at?) I have found that, in general, certain nib/screen combos work clearly better than others - for both feel and inking fluidity. So, wondering about:

1) Trying the non-tilt HP Pen (do you really care about tilt, or even 4096 levels of pressure, Leonardo da Strauss?) Alternatively, I recall that Lisa Gade of Mobile Tech Review found the pen she tested on the 8th gen x360 13 was not so good, not even as good as the previous year's pen, though she tested it for tilt and found it non-responsive and I later learned that you need to get a different HP pen to support tilt, not just the driver. Bottom line: I would suggest you reach out to Lisa, who I consider the Grande Dame of all things active styli among other subjects. Based on her general thumbs-up of the x360 13 late Fall 2017, you might also try a replacement of the tilt pen you got; could just be defective or, more'n likely, you need to use a different pen altogether.

2) Simultaneously, if the MS pen (which vintage?) sux on the x360, what about other MS Ntrig pens, virtually any vintage, so long as both inking and feel are right for note taking? Or a Wacom Bamboo Ink?

Overall, if I were in your shoes (and I will be, which is why I want you to be a productive guinea pig!!), I would order every Ntrig-compatible pen that get reasonably positive reviews and have a pen-a-thon. I feel high confidence that one or more will be fine, if not great (ie, it's not EMR). Be dispassionate and worry not about brand or tech vintage, just go for: inking quality, comfort of nib-on-surface feel, comfort of pen in hand (though I learned with some Spen sticks that if the inking and nib/screen feel is great, I can live with less than ideal pen/hand feel.) Interchangeable nibs would also be a factor in tie-breaking.

I do agree with you that it is ludicrous that these OEMs can't get their acts together with respect to pens. For want of a decent $25- $75 accessory, a $1,500 piece of marvelous kit is made, er, un-marvelous! Keep on plugging my friend; we (by which I mean, "I") need you to once again chart the course, be the pioneer, spend your $, handle all the RMA/returns :D:D:D. Your minions await your pronouncements and send wishes for a speedy recovery.:hi::newpalm:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  5. MikeyV11

MikeyV11 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Guys this is my first post and I'm hoping you guys will accept me into the family with open arms lol. I've been following this thread for a while and have been hoping for clarity between the 13" Spectre 360 late 2017, Lenovo 920, and the Microsoft Surface Pro.

Finally I decided to go with the Spectre after about a month of longgggg nights debating and long days at best buy just feeling and pseudo testing the machines.

I'm Ecstatic with the purchase so far and pretty sure I went with the right machine. I got the best but speced out 13" woth 16gb Ram, 512gb sad, and 4k display. From the beginning I've thought this was the best looking aestheticly out of the 3 from the beginning but was concerned about the battery life with the 4k display, the heat issue that ive read about on this model when under heavy load, not being able to detach the screen, and the long term longevity of the hinge design on the 360.

I can report that the hinge is great!!! Battery life has been superb so far and I'm not really wishing I could detach the screen so far. As for heat distribution I've been pleasantly surprised as I've basically found it to be a total Non issue.

My only issue is I'm an old school Mac converter ( converting from 2010 MacBook pro) and I'm hearing that for optimum performance onn this machine that it's best to do a clean install of Windows 10 and to do a "fall creators update"

I'm a complete novice and was Hoping you guys could provide me with a walk through of sorts on how to best do these two things and any other updates or installs that will optimize my new beautiful machine?

Thanks in advance guys and I look forward to keeping active on this forum with you guys as we enjoy our spectres!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Welcome aboard MikeyV11 to this merry band of pirates.

Frankly, I think the need to do a clean install of Windows 10 is oversold, especially on a new machine. As the crud accrues over the years, a clean install can be a big help, but not out of the box. YMMV.

@lovelaptops - from watching Lisa's videos, I think I am going to go straight to the Bamboo for comparison. The sad fact is the new pen is rechargeable (GREAT) and has and eraser end (GREATER). It's just that the nib is so damn hard it slides across the screen, and makes tapping noises, just like the Apple Pencil.

Regardless, I want to stick a fork in the ground and be done with it. Believe it or not, I am tired of setting and resetting computers. The Acer Switch 7 may still pull me in, IF it goes on sale before my return window on the x360 13" and IF it can run without melting into a slag pile. Otherwise, I stick with the x360 and wait for the Surface Courier.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@MikeyV11 Unless you notice something out of the ordinary, I'd advise against clean installs, etc. They're more trouble than they're worth.

Remove any third party virus software (McAfee, Norton, etc.) and turn on Windows Defender if it isn't on already. Run Windows Update religiously, update your Windows Store apps too. This will keep updates from happening unexpectedly in the background when you need the performance.

Make sure to run your HP hardware updates and graphics driver updates too.

Disable unwanted applets that appear in your system tray after you install new software. These can really bog down your system as they're constantly phoning home to check for updates.

Fine tune your power performance mode. More aggressive while plugged in, more conservative while on battery.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. dstrauss

@MikeyV11 One last thought - the x360 REALLY needs to go 16:10 in the next version and quite wasting all that bottom screen space...make it happen HP...

PS - I love the fingerprint reader on this thing - much better than the Windows Hello camera...

PPS - follow @surfaceproartist 's recommendations - they are spot on - especially kicking McAfee to the curb. If you don't open unknown attachments, Windows Defender will do a very good job.

9. dstrauss

[​IMG]

Curse you HP - beautiful hardware (as a laptop) but the x360 13 blows as a note taking device. Both OneNote and Drawboard PDF (my two go to's) experienced ink skipping and even inking failure, during a critical meeting. Besides the "fail" it was pretty embarrassing professionally during an important meeting. Had to drag out the newly mothballed GB 12 to finish the meeting (thank goodness I had not decommissioned it for sale yet).

I guess I have to face the painful reality that note taking is as important, if not more so, than document creating; and almost ANY device can create the content, but few take notes well, much less perfectly.

PS for @lovelaptops - the Bamboo is better feel on glass than the HP, but still experience skipping and writing problems - now this could just be my unit, but frankly I'm fed up with HP at the moment...

ColoKaren, Kumabjorn and lovelaptops like this.
  10. dstrauss

Tried one more time...

I guess you really know you are screwed when you can't wait to unplug, disassemble and box up your shiny new computer and dock with 8th gen 4 core i7, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, Thunderbolt 3 (hp x360) and plug in your 7th gen i5, 4gb ram, 128gb ssd with two plain USB-C ports (GB 12) to get some notes taken and work done...

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice (or four times) shame on me...the x360 FAILED taking notes in front of clients AGAIN...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    ColoKaren likes this.