HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Willshire

Willshire Pen Pal - Newbie

Tried to search, but wasn't successful. Has anyone found a replacement tip for the HP Tilt Pen? I spent an hour being tossed around on HPs support lines trying to figure out if they sold one or if they knew of one that would fit, and they had no answers beyond "we don't sell that."

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry for being AWOL on this thread Jeff:
    1. Seems a lot of the heat issue for the 15" is the MX150 (25 of the 40W)
    2. I'll look into processor throttling if the 13" gives me grief, but I think I may not stress it near as bad as the 15"
    3. Going 4K to the max - battery life is important to me, but not near as much as eye strain and screen quality - I'm a pixel snob - enough said

3. franky402

franky402 Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone have any issues with apps not staying uninstalled or certain settings not sticking through a reboot.

I just got my 15" yesterday and going through the setup i have tried uninstalling all the retarded games that come preinstalled. I right click them in the start menu and select uninstall, it asks to confirm and then it will disappear. Minecraft, disney, candy saga, and like 3 others.

They do not show up in remove programs and thats the only way i can see to uninstall them is through the start menu.

I have also tried to remove the hp support assistant bubble by the status bar.

Now heres the problem, everything looks great until i reboot. upon reboot everything is back in the menu and the support bubble is down by the status bar again. the only thing i havent tried is booting into safe mode to remove but that should not be a requirement to get rid of that crap.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Im so close to wiping out that copy of windows and starting fresh from a clean microsoft image. The only thing that worries me about that is when i did the same thing with my old hp dv7t quad core the laptop did not run as smooth as the factory image, even though i installed all hp drivers.

Also the laptop does seem somewhat sluggish to me, my desktop i built last year has 16gb ram, 256 ssd, and an 15-6600k and seems to run circles around it, i know the spectre uses a U processor which wont be as fast as the desktop counterpart. I figured 2 generations later and a quad core should at least be somewhat comparable. Im also not expecting it to run heavy tasks at the same speed but simple things like opening file explorer, or chrome should be just as fast imho. Opening simple apps that should not struggle seem to take a second or two to load and ive already had chrome not responding a few times as well. the desktop is blistering fast, i feel like apps open before im even done double clicking, not so much with the new spectre.

Oh well maybe my expectations are a little too high but i will keep playing with it, and probably reimage the thing to a debloated factory m$ image and try to rip out cortana and all the tracking crap.

Sorry for the rant but 1600$ later i feel like it should be a little snappier and let me permanently uninstall junk that shouldnt be there in the first place!!

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Agree across the board - that should scare you.

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

There's such a thing as overdoing it - 5 screamers would have sufficed!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Surprisingly, those aren't apps yet. They become apps when you open them, they remain on Microsoft's server side and install when you open it, they are connected to XBox so you get a little commercial for that platform first. So what you ar doing is removing a shortcut. I think that is how MS responded to criticism of bloatware.

8. franky402

franky402 Pen Pal - Newbie

The problem was they kept coming back no matter what.

I was able to finally fix both issues!

For anyone reading in the future I used winaero tweaker to disable window's telematics and Auto install of apps, and blocked app store ads and whatnot.

The hp assistance bubble I fixed by opening the assistant app and checking the settings page. In there was a checkbox to have the icon in your taskbar, shut that off and now that's gone as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. Sravan

Sravan Pen Pal - Newbie

In spectre x360 13inch is anyone facing current leaking issue while charging, and heat issue reaching nearly 100 C while playing basic games!!! Please reply

10. lovelaptops

I just came upon an article in Tech Crunch revealing that the Synaptics trackpad drivers in virtually all HP laptops (including all Spectre x360 models) has a keylogger that is deactivated by default but certainly a risk in a hack attack. The article contains a link to an HP driver update that lists all the affected models with links to software fixes that allegedly completely eliminates the capability. Sorry I was too lazy to search all over to see if there is already a thread about this but I thought it was worth bringing it to everyone's attention given how popular these devices have become with us-types. I'm not aware of any other major device company that still uses Synaptics trackpads, and the article only mentions this "feature" being found in HP models - virtually all of them!

Actually, as I wrote this post I recalled that there is a fix for late model trackpads with Synaptics or Elan drivers to convert them to the Microsoft Precision driver. I have mixed feelings about the Precision driver, but as long as I've raised the subject, here's a good how-to article on converting your trackpad to Precision.

Edit: Actually, I did some more searching and found no reference to any of this in the Forum so I posted a new thread

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018