HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Counselor Strauss, Happy New Year to you! Curious, how are you faring with your Spectre x360?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's a love, hate, love, hate relationship - but mostly complicated by note taking. In general, it is a great laptop with an incredible screen, but it suffers from repeated fan noise at no specific times (and I don't stream videos or play games with it). Keyboard is GREAT; gobs of memory and storage; incredible price for the quality. However, it is not a note taking gem (just too big and unwieldy)...and there's the rub. HP tech support says the fan noise and overheating are "not unknown" on the 15" model, so I have an open return label for two more days.

The "love" part, besides the items noted above, is side by side document editing on this beast. When I have two Word documents on the screen it is near perfect for editing.

Where the hell is that Courier I need so desperately?

OOPS - Happy New Year to you too Jeff!

3. lovelaptops

It's funny, but I had a very similar experience with a 15.6" machine I tried, a Lenovo Yoga 720, largely because it was on sale so cheap and I wanted to try out the hardware (screen size, 8th gen, 16GB, 1TB PCIE/NVME SSD, AES active digitizer) thinking I'd more than likely upgrade to the HP if I otherwise fell in love. I had the same reaction to a 15" machine, screen too big for note taking, whole machine too big and heavy after years of using 12.3 - 13.3" sub-3 lb devices. That's part of the reason I fell in love with the Spectre 13 (not x360), thinking I'd continue to use my SP3 for note taking (or one of the two other active digitizer devices I still own!) and use the Spectre for everything else. Spoiler alert: got busy and side tracked and returned the Yoga but haven't gotten to acquire the Spectre, though I still plan to.

Bottom line is it comes down to physics. 15.6" laptops are fine as DTRs but not so great for note-taking or general purpose mobile devices and once it's on the "DT" it may as well be anything, driving a larger monitor with a better desktop keyboard. If it's used in any mobile fashion, and for taking notes on a regular basis, it needs to be more pad-like to be comfortable and functional. Of course, I would probably be smarter to get an x360 13 than the Spectre 13 since it can also do note taking, but it comes down to the fact that I've been living a 3-4 device existence for so long now that I'm spoiled by having just the right size/weight/feature device for the task at hand and several devices that can be multi-purpose when traveling. To have a crazy thin/light super-fast laptop for most of my needs that happens to be a jewel of craftsmanship (might even go for the 4K screen so it's perfection, if impractical. I tried a Pixelbook for a couple of weeks and, while Chromeos is too limiting, I realized near-perfect craftsmanship and seamless speed just puts a smile on my face, no matter what I'm doing (the Pixelbook is the finest piece of kit I've ever handled - except the new Spectre!

As for the overheating, I'm hoping that won't be as much of a problem with an 8th gen i5 that I plan to get on my Spectre but I don't see why you should have fans coming on with the x360 15, even with the i7. That machine is way big enough to keep cool enough doing productivity work and the 8th gen cpus run at lower clocks than 7th gen. Somewhere recently I ranted about HP just not having the quality act together, not knowing whether it's poor design or poor mfg or both, but your x360 should perform flawlessly and I would not trust it long term. Personal opinion: if you decide the "love" is compelling enough to overcome the size-haate, try one more sample to see if you can get a perfect specimen and give it 4 weeks to prove its mettle. Otherwise, what? I guess beside the Acer Switch 7, there should be a new crop of machines coming out at CES.

Then there's always the Courier...:D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  4. dstrauss

Acer has announced the Switch 7 Black Edition will go on sale"this month" for $1699 - still sporting the same specs as the August announcement, including confirming the USB-C port is Thunderbolt 3. The thought of a siloed Wacom EMR digitizer is so enticing, but I have real concerns about the ability of a liquid cooled system to be sufficient given my experience with the x360 15" heating/fan issue.

Still, tablet form factor, Thunderbolt 3, and the biggest unicorn prize of all - a siloed Wacom EMR stylus. It is a siren call to note takers and business users alike...

5. dstrauss

Monday morning quarterback here: the Acer Switch 7 Black Edition just keeps seeming to be vaporware, despite the "will go on sale this month" mantra. I spent too much time comparing (at BB) the Surface Book 2 13 vs Spectre x360 13 this weekend, and I really have to wonder if the 360 hinge on the smaller device wouldn't get me the same experience until we can see MS' WOA intent? I just remember not wanting to rip the screen off for meetings, and with one cable connect to the dock, why not just leave the x360 in tablet mode on the desk...

So - keep waiting for Godot (AS7), go to SB2-13, or just grab the x360-13 and be done with it...wait, I'm never just "done with it" am I...:confused:o_O:(:rolleyes:

6. lovelaptops

@dstrauss: I do marvel often at your amazing ability to cut thru the crapola and distill down to the essential points (and pointlessness) of all that is wrong - and right - in the crazy world of tech devices. Also, it amazes me how much I think like you but - unlike you - always seem to make the wrong choices in the device marketplace while - and here's the part that mystifies me most - ending up just about as happy/unhappy with current stable of options and, just like you, this close to making the next optimal choice, lol! For you, I do worry about the x360 13 as it will only be hotter/have fans on more often than with the 15 (you know, same hdwe (minus dgpu), same op. temps, [much] smaller chassis - and, likely, cooling hdwe - over which to dissipate heat the better (or in this case, worse) to keep fans off. Proving my point that we circuitously end up at/near same point but I seem to choke and make the worse choice: take my concerns for you and the x360 and heat and HP qc issues and, drumroll..... buy the much more snug, less versatile Spectre (sans x360) because it's so darn sexy!

To sum it up: we're screwed! There is no safe choice, no best bet. Windows machines are bad products except, in the 13" size, Thinkpad X Yoga or HP Elitebook x360, (I just can't trust Dell) but they aren't yet made w/8th gen cpus nor high res panels and for 16GB/512GB you'll pay over $2,200.

Rotsa ruck. Can't wait to see your next move!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Jeff - you poor soul - my wife just keeps rolling her eyes and muttering "DALE, not ANOTHER computer, REALLY?" as I fumble along this trail of despair and tragedy. I wish I could "settle" and be like most folks treating computers like just another toaster on the kitchen cabinet...

The x360 15 Kaby Lake R (with MX150) goes back today...and

When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
    But the CES announcement of the x360 KBL-G
    With a little old processor so lively and quick,
    I knew in a moment it must be nicked...
    (Ooops - apologies to Clement Clark Moore for my version of "The Night After Christmas")

Seriously, it looks like a monster of a system; love the keyboard with numeric key pad; tons of upgrades (all for about $100 more per model - $1699 gets you 16gb/512gb/ - same as the Switch 7 with vastly superior firepower)...BUT

Every time I go through this exercise I end up wanting to go back to a smaller/lighter footprint, to the point that if the 12" MacBook had a Thunderbolt 3 port and real keyboard, I'd probably risk the insanity of switching to MacOS (no, not really - can't deal with its crippled file system - YES - it is crippled compared to File Explorer in Windows).

I have no idea what my next move should be (other than either assisted living or a padded cell)...

And now as I listen to my current x360 15" wind up the fans (for the last time) with the low power 15W KBL-R and 25W MX150, what is going to happen to thermals with the 65W KBL-G under the hood of basically the same configuration...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. lovelaptops

LMAO :p:D:vbeek:

Dale - I would rule out the padded cell approach; I know that if I was deprived of the opportunity to buy, replace, repeat, owning at least 3 devices at all times I would find a way to hurt myself, padded walls be damned!

As for assisted living, an image popped into my mind that my assisted living community would have a feature - at a reasonable monthly fee - to rent top-of-line devices of all kinds: phones, tablets, laptops, chromebooks, couriers, etc. Most device OS's and cloud services make switching a relative breeze and, conveniently located near the spa, restaurant and shooting range, my facility of choice will have a technology "orgy" center (TOC - give me time and I'll coin a better acronym), where you can test, try and rent - *never buy!* the devices of your choice. When one crapped out, was superseded by an upgraded model or I tired of a color choice, I would simply stop by the TOC, look over all the new stuff that has been added since my last visit - say, a week ago - and trade-in as I wished simply by telling the Customer "Magician" (because "Genius" is pretentious and "Geek" is passe) to just "put it on my account; I have the unlimited membership!" and head over to the spa to relax and try my new toy or, perhaps, head to the shooting range to fill a disappointing Microsoft or HP product with lead.

Yeah, I think I'm really onto something here, don't you? (You have to, because you're the only other person I know who's as obsessed with device perfection as I am!) And I have another idea that would entice the likes of our bud @Bronsky to the community: To balance out each member/resident (recall, it's an assisted living community!) like Jeff and Dale, we'd need about 5 Bronskys to buy our discarded devices at huge discounts and keep them for 5 years, to deal with the inventory cost/management problem our proclivities would create.

I think I may be closer to this assisted living thing than you are; being retired, I have more time on my hands to research, buy, trade devices and, worse, to concoct such ridiculous concepts! I clearly need to get out and do more pro bono work! Cheers.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Jeff - are you describing assisted living, a half-way house for computer addicts, or

HEAVEN ON EARTH!

Time to seek sympathy:

Until I pull the trigger on the "next" device, the x360 15" and its dock are heading back to HP today, which leaves me with my son's Galaxy Book 12 4gb/128gb tablet - watch the fur and feather fly now while I struggle with the other side of the Genie's problem in Aladdin...

Itty bitty living space!

lovelaptops likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

1) As for the HOE (far better than my "TOC" acronym), be seein ya when our time comes. I think it's a winner - with many non-tech refinements to be added!

2) Do you at least also have the Genie's "vast powers" [paraphrasing] to go with the tiny living space?! (You have just cited a Jeff Bellin classic, nearly nudges My Cousin Vinny among movies I will watch anytime, even after I've just seen them! Robin Williams so aced it.)

3) I have more than sympathy to offer you. I have an offer you can't refuse! I can supply you a mofestly used (for my daughter's 1L yr) Toshiba Z20t, m5/8GB/256GB, detachable tablet, 12.5" matte FHD Wacom EMR, ports galore, dual battery power, horrific audio to use while you figure out your next move. Shame on you not having a spare! Since I have, like, 5 - including 2 Z20ts (don't ask!), it would be my pleasure to provide a loaner. PM me to discuss. Don't worry; there's a small catch for my benefit, though helping a future halfway housemate in need is more than sufficient reason.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk