HP Spectre x360 - 8th Gen Intel (Late 2017)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dstrauss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Although the externals have not changed, the internals are the new 8th Gen Kaby Lake for ultrabooks. That means an i7-8550U quad core CPU and companion Nvidia MX150 GPU. For good reviews (as always) check out Lisa Gade's YouTube Channel:

HP Spectre x360 15 - Late 2017

And a great explanation of the large upgrade the 8th Gen Kaby Lake makes:

Also, check out my personal observations in the Surface Book 2 thread about the value proposition of the HP over the recently announced Surface Book 2 (and it would apply equally to the MacBook Pro 15). Here was my conclusion (hint - the SB2, comparably outfitted, costs $1578 MORE than the HP):

OK folks, you tell me - how much value do you see in $1578 (NO ONE would buy this without a pen)? Clearly the GTX 1060 will run circles (well, may be more like a Corvette against a Prius), so if you are a true gamer, that alone may sway you, until I hook up an external full power GPU to my Thunderbolt port and smoke your @$$.

Personally, I really prefer the 3:2 ratio of the Surface screen, and Clipboard mode is far handier than flipping over the big screen of the HP and having to carry around HP beast (NOTE - they weigh the same in laptop mode - 4.4# each). If you are "Starbucking" the Surface Book is only a notch below the even more ridiculously priced MacBook Pro 15 for street cred (the HP will come across as just another HP, Dell, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, where you'll be sitting on the Animal House reject couch). But then again, with $1578 I can get a Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy Book 10.6.

I detailed the comparable features over there, but it astounds me how much MS has morphed into Apple - yes, it is a beautiful design with lots of power chops, but it is not 2X better than the comparable HP. I ordered mine on October 4, and it will be delivered today (October 19). The wait was for a custom configuration including Windows 10 Pro, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB PCIe NVM ssd.

By the way, the 13.3" model looks to be a killer as well. No MX150, USB-A, or HDMI port, but TWO Thunderbolt 3, one USB-C 3.1, an improved (with tilt) N-Trig pen and even more gorgeously thin. I'm trying the 15.6" first, as it was available sooner and I think I will really appreciate side-by-side document editing on the wider screen, but the 13.3 is not out of the running yet (besides, 1TB not yet available in little brother).

More to come!

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I just wish HP would fully go back to EMR....but the other techs are cheaper, allow the devices to be thinner and the average consumer doesn't appreciate the butteriness:p

3. dstrauss

Agreed! Interesting that the brutish ZBook 2 has a beautiful looking full Wacom EMR pen...but that ship has sailed with limited exceptions, and the average user cannot tell the difference (or doesn't care).

That's why I tipped a hat towards the Galaxy Book 10.5 for all the money I saved over Surface Book 2 - but my real hope is for a Galaxy Tab 3-like WOA tablet from Samsung WITH A SILOED SPEN!

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The pen is lustworthy...I might consider picking up one too as much as I love the Toshiba Pen

seriously though....even in the Engadget video, with the doodles, the pen on screen interaction just looks buttery!

*fangirl off!*

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Up and running - even have the Dell TB16 Thunderbolt dock working with my two Acer WQHD monitors (daisy chained - using the separate DP ports did not work), Laserjet 4250, Ethernet - only thing I can't seem to get to work are the Logitech USB speakers - more on that later.

Time to start the shakedown cruise!

Maytag repairman here - never forget that Device Manager is your friend - found one of those nasty yellow triangles in the "ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" listing - updated the driver, and now the speakers and Logitech mouse are working properly.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  6. dstrauss

Overnight experience: didn't get to use it (personal matters to attend to) but several good results:
    • NO HOT BAG
    • At some point it went into hibernation, but 100% battery when I restarted this morning, AND
    • As for restart - started laptop, after I got to the desktop I plugged in the Dell TB16 dock and everything came up just as I left it last night
    Now, if I could just get rid of that pesky startup warning (HP recommends using an HP power supply). Not really concerned - the TB16 is the 240W model so we have power to spare, just don't want the annoying warning.

7. dstrauss

First Day Display Observations:

The X360 15 has an excellent display - perhaps not as technically perfect as the XPS 15, but great nonetheless. However, two things are already eating at me and HP needs to consider a form factor change:

The top (forehead) and and bottom bezel (chin) are outrageously large. There is 1.25" of wasted space there that could make this nearly a 3:2 screen with 1/4" bezels in all directions - GO FOR IT! Get rid of Windows Hello facial recognition; add a fingerprint reader, and give the user a ginormous video experience. This is a productivity powerhouse, so quit worrying about "black bars" when showing 16:9 - videos - REALLY CATER to your business user who needs more rows in a spreadsheet and a larger full page experience in Word.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  8. dstrauss

First Day Operating Report:

WOW, Creators Update 1709 sure screwed with my video (flashing and scrolling colored bars) but it did come back to normal on the final restart. Videos (like YouTube) seem a little snappier and less likely to see the spinning waiting logo, but otherwise not much different than my SP4 i7. The fan seems to run a lot, and I thought I was past updates/driver downloads, so I'll let that go for another couple of days to see if it continues.

One thing of note - it is a thin/light 15" laptop, but coming from the SP4 I feel like I'm wearing lead weights to carry it around. That may dissipate in time. Above all else, the screen is great; the keyboard is great; and the Dell TB16 dock is working well (remember, I have the 240W model). And on the totally useless meter - the Ash/Copper combination is the best looking laptop I've ever owned.

Azzart likes this.
  9. dstrauss

First Day Disk Performance Disappointment:

The general disk performance is good, but it seemed to take a long time transferring files from a USB 3 drive. So I ran CrystalDiskMArk and this is what I got:

CDM-Spectre-x360.PNG

Which seemed "low" compared to what I had been seeing about the Spectre x360 line. Then, digging deeper and looking at various review sites, the review units ALWAYS came with one of the Samsung drives, which typically had CDM's like these at LegitReviews:

[​IMG]

That's when I went to my old pal Device Manager, and lo and behold I have a Toshiba THNSN51T02DUK. I also remember that the refurb x360 (7th gen) that I tried had a Toshiba as well. I'm beginning to smell something rotten in Denmark...

@MobileTechReview - Lisa - was your review unit a Samsung or Toshiba?

10. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a Samsung PM961 and is a retail Best Buy unit.

dstrauss likes this.