HP Spectre x360 15" (early 2018) - 8th gen H-series class quad + AMD Vega Graphics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, Jan 8, 2018.

1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

The first people over at NBR forums already recived their devices (at page 5).
    First reports about performance, cooling or battery runtime sound very similar to the XPS 15 2-in-1.

I wanted to order mine this monday but it was already sold out here and new stock is estimated to arrive in 2-3 weeks o_O

2. 731Woodworks

731Woodworks Pen Pal - Newbie

I received mine yesterday. I filmed an unboxing and will post it on my YouTube hopefully later today or tomorrow. All I can say is WOW IT IS AWESOME!

stormi likes this.
  3. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

Been seeing some comments on the specter x360 Reddit about it not charging from USB c, and allot of heat throttle

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

4. Alex Cealicu

Alex Cealicu Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally received it. Don't have much time now but will do a more detailed review later.

A quick list of what I can tell so far.
    - Subjectively it's the best looking machine I had. Also the build quality seems really good. Metal all over.
    - Really good 4k touch screen.
    - Screen is firm enough to hold position really well, but still easy to change angle with one hand without holding the base with the other. Has *some* elasticity (will flip a bit if you, for example, rock the table it sits on) but nothing out of ordinary.
    - Feels like a brick (weight). On the negative side, no way this can de used as a tablet in a practical sense. Yes, one *could* use it, I presume, but why would one want that? It's a heavy mofo. On the positive side it feels very solid and extremly stable. It feels like it was glued to the table - and I suspect the weight has an impact here.
    - Fingerprint scanner was really good and fast but weirdly located. Untill you learn the positions you might miss a couple of times.
    -Volume button again weirdly located and because it is on the side of the base (and not on top or the side of the screen) I had peoblems (mostly in my head though). Point is that I was not pressing the button hard enough since I was expecting the whole unit to move. But, as I said, the thing is HEAVY and feels MASSIVE because of the metal cover and this means you can press those damn audio buttons all you like. It simply will not move from the position.
    - I loved the keyboard. Again this is subjective but for me it felt really good to type on it. Granted, I have yet to do a nice 3-4 hr session.
    - Fast. Runs like a stallion. So far with sustained loads. Loaded Intel xtreme to monitor tdp/power/thermal throttling and stuff. Played Surviving Mars, FHD, Full details, several ai mods loaded - no throttling, no noticeable slowing down. Game ran like a charm for 3 hours.
    - Although I must say the fans went straight to work and they kept on working. Of course, quite loud, but only under heavy and suatained load. And I'd rather have them working overtime than thermal throttling.
    - NO coil noises
    - Sound ok so far, good volume, not yet tested on purpose.
    - Camera is good. It works :))
    - Tilt pen in the box, charges from USB (USB C charger).
    - USB to USB-C cable, USB socket to USB-C cable included in the box
    - Nice cover, leather or faux leather (thick enough to actually give some sort of protection)
    - Surprisingly, not a lot of bloatware/unwantedware. The usual HP stuff plus an instantly removed trial AV (which of course leaves some trace to "warn" you of the risks but didn't had the time to kill it for good. Tonight though)

That's it for now, will give you more on it later in the week

stormi and dstrauss like this.
  5. Alex Cealicu

Well, I was a teen then. Everyone was like "Hell yeah, a new AMD. I wonder how much we can overclock it before it fries". Back then laptops were seen as a cute MS-Word accesory

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I would be interested to hear about the sound quality of the speakers. I could imagine that a larger device might have enough space in the casing for slightly better speakers with a rounder sound and fuller volume. A lot of us use these sorts of devices for all purposes- work, media, music, etc.

7. Alex Cealicu

Hi Steve,

unfortunately last evening I did not have the time to do much testing - but I can tell you this: it has some B&O tuning software.

While I do find it quite simplistic, so far I think it does an excelent job. I mean the difference between having the tuning off (sounds flat, pretty much what you'd expect from an ordinary laptop) and having it on (really full sound , crisp enough and surprisingly - not much of a distortion when amping up bass / treble) is quite noticeable.

I do feel the need to underline the fact that sound in a laptop is not something that I purposefully "look" at when choosing one (for me decent is enough) and while I consider myself as having a "good ear" (aka high fidelity audio sensors) due to my musical education - how something sounds is very subjective.

The gist of it is that I am pleased (and somewhat surprised by the fidelity and volume) of the speaker systems. Nevertheless my expectations were... let's say "decent".

Hope it helps, even a little bit.

8. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the same but when I previously had a Fujitsu T902 the speakers were actually that bad and low volume that I had to replace them.

To the HP Spectre Vega owners:

1. Can the side buttons of the pen be customized in software?

2. Can you please measure the size and weight of the included charger and if you happen to have some USB-C chargers test the compatibility?

3. Knowing the compatibility with an TB3 eGPU setup would also be awesome :D

9. Alex Cealicu

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Good catch. Pretty impressive!