HP Spectre x360 15" (early 2018) - 8th gen H-series class quad + AMD Vega Graphics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, Jan 8, 2018.

1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

And the HP Spectre x360 15 always includes the 4k display and a pen while Dell starts with FHD and charges another $ 100 for the pen (like MS).

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

oops -forgot the pens, but the Dell price I listed was the 4k

3. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I get many vicarious thrills hearing about how all you power users are going to be using what might have passed for a supercomputer a couple of decades ago - on your lap, even if it does cost $3,000 in today's $ - truly a steal, we are so spoiled! On the other hand, given that I do nothing more hardware-taxing these days occasional photo editing, very basic video editing and One Note and never game, I am tickled pink that I just bought a brandy new 8GB/256GB SSD (supplemented by 200GB half-height SD card) Surface Book (not 2!) with a, tah-dah: 2015 Skylake dual core i5 (lol!), modified 940 M d-gpu w/1 (full!) GB VRAM, for, wait for it......$869 (+ refurb dock for $89). For the time being, I will be delighted to have the same magnificent display, keyboard/trackpad, clipboard, engineering and - I like to hope - continued MS updating for a year or two more as my hero, @dstrauss and I'll look forward to buying one of the models you all are using today, used, refurbed or closed out in 18 mos. for around $1,200 - and it will still then be massive overkill for what I need - unless 3D Excel spreadsheets get mighty fancy!

Enjoy and keep reporting so us folks in the cheap seats can share in the joy!

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

For desktops maybe, the (bad) thermal management in laptops is what earned them the step child reputation

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

6. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

the Bad Rep is from their offerings. AMD has no answer to Intel in the Mobile CPU lines, and hasn't for at least a decade; and they tend to have their CPUs in the cheap budget lines of laptops. Not even aware if they have a tablet with AMD CPU. Until very recently with Vega, they could not even compete with Nvidia Mid range graphics, and they still can't even touch Nvidia's mobile flagships GTX 1070 and 1080 or the max Q counterparts.

The Vega M is the first Mid range offering that has good energy and thermal management for slim Laptops/Tablet 2 in 1s.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

There were tablets with AMD CPU's from HP in the early 2000's they had issues with thermal management.

ATI used to make pretty good graphics chips before they became AMD.

Edit There is also a Ryzen based Envy x360. with pen

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    cmd likes this.
  8. 731Woodworks

731Woodworks Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered my HP Spectre 15 with the AMD Vega Graphics card! I’m pumped! Been using a Mac for the last 10 years. Coming back to Windows with this HP.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Welcome home

10. 731Woodworks

731Woodworks Pen Pal - Newbie

Ha! Thanks.