HP Spectre x360 15" (early 2018) - 8th gen H-series class quad + AMD Vega Graphics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, Jan 8, 2018.

1. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

Makes the keyboard off center for the typing keys

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

2. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

3. milkytoast

a lot of the refurbished specter x360 with the mx150 going for as cheap as $950 on amazon. Do they have pen capability? I can buy a pen for $50 and save $300. I might have to pick that up then since I am cheap, but I really want to see how much this vega beast throttles and how inclusive the charging USB C is.

4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

5. milkytoast

Looking at , rather try it with a refubished unit than an expensive new one.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Time for my standard pitch re: used/refurbished gear: The only way to buy! Unless it's brand new tech and you really gotta have it - NOW - (keep in mind, used and refurbed product starts showing up within 3 mos of a new model coming out, certainly by 6 months. I prefer refurbed for the following reasons:

1) A live human has gone over the device and discovered what's wrong and fixed it. That's far better QA than any new unit coming off an automated assembly line.
    2) They will always have at least a 90-day wtty, though note who is backing it up. If it is the mfr, then note the terms; if they're reasonable, at least you're covered for "DOA" or Dead Soon After Arrival (DSAA - I made it up!). Best of all is when mfr gives full orig. wtty, as many do when you buy from their own "outlet" stores online.
    3) Prices are often lower than same model used - solely due to [mis]perception about buying refurbs; by rights they should be more expensive than "used."

But beware: sometimes it just says "seller refurbished." That can be anyone who allegedly went through the machine using whatever "expertise" the seller has and replaced/repaired anything they found wrong. The best refurbs are ones done by the OEM. Next best is a mfr-authorized refurbisher; look for ratings/reviews of these companies. Some get excellent reviews, some terrible.

When used is as good/better:

Seller has very high (preferably 100%) ratings from large number (at least 20, better if 100s or 1,000s) of buyers *and* has unconditional 14-30 day return policy. Often these will be "open box" units, returned to the likes of Best Buy or Amazon and nothing wrong with them, but can't call them "new" even if you couldn't tell difference. The best of these will still have most of the original wtty left. Note: most OEM wttys are transferrable, but not all, so check that out. Sometimes especially on Swappa.com, the seller is just a tech junkie like you and I and expect to take at least a 25% haircut (on Swappa you can negotiate) on re-sale because it's bast the return for refund window of the vendor and they just decided to go another way (or, like many of us, they "always" decide to go another way, so this is just a repetitive process! One more good thing about buying used is, if you can get good references of the seller (you shouldn't buy if you can't) you can likely trust that they have checked the machine out and that it is free of some of the mfg "quirks" that many models have - eg, some come off the line with uneven gaps at seams, noisy trackpads, speakers that resonate above low volume, coil whine, etc. Refurbishers won't pick up on that stuff but a gear afficionado will and, again, provided you have a basis to trust, you may pick up a "gem" among that model. This applies to consumer models more than business class because the latter tend to have tighter mfg tolerances.

Finally, in the past 2 years, HP in particular, but other OEMs too, have taken to doing "refreshes" as soon as 3-4 months after model is first released or after most recent previous refreshes. Sometimes the improvement is huge - such as going from 7th gen to 8th gen Intel cpus - sometimes smaller - went to charging for pen where before it was thrown in - or vice versa - sometimes the newer model is a little worse - see recent YouTube reviews to check out.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

OR - just wait for Strauss to buy it and return it in the 14-30 day window to help build refurb stock at the OEM...

8. milkytoast

I think I'm going with the refurbished MX150 version, I don't know if the new one will be as upgradable, with the ram slots. It is amazon so I can try it out and if I don't like it I'll return it.

I trust nvidia's drivers more than Radeon, plus if I get an eGPU it will be a nvidia, maybe I can offload some physix onto the MX? who knows.

and thank you lovelaptops

9. Alex Cealicu

Alex Cealicu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

new to the forum - found this when doing homework on one of my two new "babies". Ordered it, waiting for them to begin shipping. I got the one with the frankenstein chip, of course :D, 1 TB SSD + 16 GB RAM. Since I've had more than 6 years "pause" in keeping up with the industry.

When I was a kid I earned my money by doin "consultancy", configuring both hardware and software to get people the right machine for the job... many times ended up the bane of local computer stores - seriously, i've been thrown out a couple of times because I hated when people would try to convince nonnerds to buy the most expensive stuff so I gave the potential buyes some tips on what they should actually get - but Cyrix M2 times are waaaay over :))) )

So... i wanted to know more on this freakish AMD + Intel laptop before I order it. Last time I did my homework was when I got my Toshiba Qosmio (which btw turned to be a really good investment - along the cooling pad).

Alas, I just couldn't resist. On paper it should be great. I ordered it.... But, and it may just be buyer's remorse, my concern remains thermal throttling (I still hate MS for cramming an I7 in their older Surface Pro models without a good thermal solution... thankful for those 10$ USB fans :))) ).

So If you guys are interested I will give you some feedback after a week or so of use. Use case: Coding/compiling stuff + streaming (hopefully 4k) + fkin edge browsing (usually using chrome but just for the sake of providing feedback to MS about edge) + light photoshop + (planned) extensive gaming, mostly CPU intensive stuff but will try some GPU hungry games too. Unfortunately I won't be doing (most likely) any kind of pro benchmarks.

I hope my wife won't file for a divorce in the next month :)))

P.S. Thank you OP, this was the most comprehensive source of info for this machine. I do hope I will be able to contribute as much as I can in return.

stormi likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Alex Cealicu - I'm confused - you ordered one with the AMD dGPU? Where?