HP Spectre x360 15" (early 2018) - 8th gen H-series class quad + AMD Vega Graphics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, Jan 8, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'll let you know as soon as I get a look at the HP's internals. I know someone who goes by "Stormi" on forums who is my best source of such info. I'll relay the info as soon as he posts it. :p:p:p:p

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Where's the
    [​IMG]

3. Willshire

Willshire Pen Pal - Newbie

So they're moving away from USB-C and back to a barrel plug on this model, huh? Can't say I'm a fan of that.

The late 2017 Spectre 15" is already loud under load. Can't imagine how this'll be almost doubling the power. Hopefully they innovated a better cooling solution. Second Thunderbolt port (hopefully a full 4 lanes of PCIe instead of 2 like the current) and tilt pen are the biggest sellers for me, maybe the speaker placement, but if I can't charge via Power Delivery it makes all my PD travel chargers useless.

4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

HP decided to add it because USB-C allows a maximum of 100 W charging and they wanted you be able to charge it even under high load - this is exactly the problem the Surface Book 2 15" has and may also be a problem for the Dell XPS 15 2-in1.
    So HP delivers it with a classic 150 W charger - however it looks like you still will be able to charge it over the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports :)

Also I was able to get the official datasheet for the Kaby Lake G variant, HP made a mistake in the url: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/images/HP_...245_2545039_tcm245_2544922_tcm245-2545039.pdf

5. Willshire

Willshire Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope you're right about that. I understand the limitations of USB C in regards to power, but the Nvidia variant is quite far under that 100w. Even full load the Intel/Vega chip should still have 20-30% headroom. Fast enough for me because if I'm plugged in using it at full load I'm probably stationary for a bit.

Options are good though, if we get both barrel and PD over USB C that's good enough for me. Wonder if the HP nanny assistant will cut off lower power chargers and what that limit will be. Current Nvidia model can't use a charger lower than 60w. Even when pulling less than 30w.

Funny enough, that spec sheet shows a 90w adapter, rather than the 150w. Wonder if that's a misprint or if that's what they're still packing with the Mx150.

6. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

My guess is that it we are likely to see 60w or higher for charging. but I am interested in seeing the throttling that will occur on this thing.

7. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

I really worry about the Intel/Vega being the red headed step child when it comes to driver support.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If the performance metrics are anything close to what reviewers and tech folks are saying, I think it is nVidia that has more to worry about - this thing may have some birthing pains (ala Skylake) but looks to be a winner.

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Numpad makes me really sad, hate it. Also, probably soldered WLAN. )'= Seems very nice otherwise.

10. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm how can you dislike a numpad?

dstrauss likes this.