HP Spectre x360 15" (early 2018) - 8th gen H-series class quad + AMD Vega Graphics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, Jan 8, 2018.

1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 10:52 AM
    lovelaptops likes this.
  2. Gosudesign

Gosudesign Pen Pal - Newbie

Yikes the 4K Spectre panel doesnt really compare well to Dell's

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@stormi: you take the triple crown for the most awesome post of - I think - the decade on TPCR! You not only jumped on the most exciting news early, but by creating this thread with all the references included on the OP and now this awesome comparison chart, you deserve highest accolades! Thank you very much.

If only Lisa and Dale, below, hadn't brought up the elephant in the room - the hot one!

Seems the early verdict is already in on Dell's variant with the G/Vega combo and it's a resounding "this-machine-needs-its-own-air-conditioner!" Note, though, that Dell had the brilliant idea to make it's chassis thinner when going from 25W TDP to 65 while HP had the bold smarts to make it's chassis thicker. Only because Stormi laid it all out so conveniently, I can report that the HP's chassis is almost 25% thicker than Dell's. Pity the one thing HP didn't improve was the display (tho' don't you have to pinch yourself to find fault with a gorgeous, 325 nit, 1300 contrast, 86% sRGB active touch screen? I mean, just 3 years ago such specs would be presumed to be a joke!) Still, given, as Mr. Strauss points out, the rate at which HP upgrades products these days it's pretty safe to say that their screen upgrade will be out by late Spring - if not before.

Is it just me, or has Moore's law, and that of Moore's cousin, Moe, applied to overall design excellence, has gone on steroids in just the past year or two? I guess that's what happens when you pronounce PCs un-dead, eh? I mean, HP's pricing on this tour-de-force is just astoundingly low. As Lisa points out, though, Lenovo and Dell are hot on their heels, and I think Asus is a dark horse to win a few "Lappys" (yep, I've coined the name of a new breed of awards :confused:); there were two of their products in our family last year and they have been nothing short of spectacular performers, and lightening fast for their price/tech class with 16GB high speed RAM and off-brand 512GB PCie/Nvme SSDs as fast as a 961, both for under a grand. They've both been screamers and never seem to even sputter on a corrupt file or net garbage. I am loving all of this (note my handle) but I'm officially paralyzed by all the choices. I literally can't even decide what class of device I want, much less which model and what configuration. There's just so much great stuff and the cheap stuff is superb and the high end consumer stuff is magnificent. Icky feeling creeping up: most of the consumer stuff will burn themselves up or out and the prolific, speedy product cycles and low prices are more likely than not to conceal some obscene cost cutting in the internals and the parts that move (eg, hinges, keyboard keys and track pads) and the parts that need to survive heat, force and dust. We may need to crawl back to the boring, 1 or 2 gen behind, meh-display business class models - and pay up for them after the thrill has worn off and Dale Strauss and I have purchase/returned ourselves entirely out of the consumer tech distribution universe!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    stormi and dstrauss like this.
  4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Hm... I do miss having a numpad.

I suppose the real question here is whether I'm ready to leave Wacom EMR. This looks really good for the price.

I'm so pleased. 2018 is turning out to be really good for tablet pcs. :)

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

Nice post @Selofain. Why couldn't I have found a way to say that in so few words!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Despite the heat issue, that keyboard and a 2TB drive option does whet the palate, doesn't it...

@lovelaptops - Almost too many options anymore, yet all of them are "just over the horizon." I know that no one would believe me when I say I'm tired of "testing" computers. My daughter, the Mac maven who has always been trying to switch me to MacOS, declared the 13" x360 was the closest thing she'd ever consider to the 13" MacBook Pro she will eventually upgrade to (her MBP 15 is five years old and she is looking for something lighter and more portable) - don't get me wrong, she's not going to leave the walled garden, but it did catch her eye, which is high praise.

I think later this morning I'm going to pull the trigger on one and hold off on anything else until I see if the Surface Courier is the real deal or not. It is not the perfect solution, but can't argue with features/size/price combination.

PS - the little GB runs fans constantly anymore, and is maxed out on RAM in task manager - I know, Win10 does seem to use all the RAM you can give it, but this one stays pegged, so my gut tells me this is going to be my backup computer only.

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

EDIT: @dstrauss: I somehow missed the comment you made on top of this post indicating how nice the 360/15's 2TB SSD and Num keyboard deluxo (note to self: get someone to report on actual typing on the new keyboard before, say, committing $1,800 to a new one). Anyhow, my comments below relate to not your inclination to order the x360/13 but to your - minutes later - musing about how nice that loaded 360/15 would be. That assisted living community is looking better all the time!

Yes, it sure does! And I guess all the temp ctrl measures I cited somewhere I blabbered yesterday would apply equally to the monster new X360 15. I mean, I want it so much I can taste it - but I know that after a short period of being blown away by that masterpiece, I would realize: I still need a new 12-13" form factor device for note-taking and mobile usage. Thought: maybe that's been considered somewhere in the market targeting for the new cruise ship laptops (to think, I say that about a 4.7 lb 15.6" device when one of my favorite "laptops" in history was an 18.5" 8lb HP DV8 (first ever Core i Quad CPU, my first FHD laptop display!) ; namely, that the target buyer would likely be a high end, power/elegance craver who uses active displays and many will be in the market for something like HP's x360 x2, among others. And sure, thoughts automatically go to: put the $ into the big flagship machine and go budget-friendly on the note-taker. But I know myself well enough that I might well end up spending 75% of my usage time on the small-boy - this was my thinking when I trialed the Yoga 720 15.6" whale and my conclusion was: I don't like budget versions of anything I'm going to be touching and looking at a lot!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    dstrauss likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Jeff - maybe we can get a BOGO discount at the assisted living facility...:D:D:p

9. lovelaptops

I'm thinking massive fiber feed and mesh wifi throughout the community. Maximum bandwidth/minimum brain cancer :D:D:p

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

10. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

About the thermal concerns - Dell is able to cool the same chips in a nearly 20% thinner device or ~1/4 less overall volume (though we don't know how good...), so I hope HP did their homework and made good use of the Spectre's increased height and possible mainboard-size reduction through the use of Kaby Lake-G for a decent cooling job. Was anyone able to find shots of the new Spectre's internals? I found them for the Dell. I also really hope that the RAM is still socketed like on previous Spectre x360 15".