HP Spectre x360 15" (early 2018) - 8th gen H-series class quad + AMD Vega Graphics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by stormi, Jan 8, 2018.

1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I no longer have the AMD Vega Spectre x360 in house. However, I did test with the Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 (identical hardware platform as the HP), as mentioned in my Core X review, and I got a warning on the Dell that it would charge slowly (and it did charge). The Dell uses a 130 watt charger while the HP Spectre x360 Vega came with a 150 watt charger (I believe just to charge faster, not because it requires any more watts than the Dell).

2. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I know. It was just the fear that HP limited the Power Delivery capabilities because it is - other than the Dell - delivered with a classic barrel charger and my Thunderbolt dock also had issues charging the HP.
    But there is a new BIOS update (F.21) which I just installed and it coincidentally solved the charging issue :) And since the 87 W Apple USB-C charger is also working I'm quiet sure that other TB3 docks can now charge the Spectre with up to 100 W.

MobileTechReview likes this.
  3. Itosken

Itosken Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey @stormi, I just bought the Spectre x360 and am waiting on its arrival. Before it arrives, I just wanted to know whether you prefer the Bamboo Ink stylus or the default one?
    On top of that, is it normal to leave the laptop on to update an entire night during the first configuration duration?

4. stormi

In germany the HP Spectre Vega edition is sold without the pen in the box for some reason. Thats why I bought the Bamboo Ink, so I can't compare them. I got it instead of the HP pen because it was cheaper, has interchangeable nibs and I like the idea of interoperability between N-Trig & Wacom AES.
    No, that's not necessary for a new notebook.

5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fellow ZC'er, how are you liking the HP?

6. stormi

So it's been a while now :p

The performance, the display and the general design/build-quality are still excellent. And since more and more issues are getting worked out I'm getting used to it.

The second-freezing display is gone since a few months now, other USB-C charging issues seem to be fixed with the latest BIOS update (F.23), I improved the audio by installing Equalizer APO which disabled the B&O crap, Intel is frequently releasing new RX Vega drivers (HP didn't update theirs a single time since release...) and I was able to unlock full power in tablet-mode by following a tip from an HP support forum post (link) - installing an older version of the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Client Driver is the trick o_O. Also when I replaced the SSD I removed a black plastic sheet covering the whole bottom venting area... and I have the feeling that the Spectre now cools down much faster after load.

The trackpad is a bit annoying because it has some play and each touch makes a tapping noise. However operation is much superior compared to the Z Canvas trackpad. Also the #pad is a welcome addition.
    I recently noticed is a small spot of some kind of dirt behind the LCD which I haven't noticed before. Maybe I have to send it to HP for a replacement...
    Pen experience is OK - not more, not less - with the limitations and issues introduced to pen usage by the Windows update even with the registry fix applied.
    One thing I will always hate is the awkward 'yoga' conversion. It's just a bad design and I will miss the classic convertible forever :( I hope the Vaio Flip / HP Folio convertible style will be adapted more in the future.

Starlight5 and dellaster like this.