HP Spectre X360 15 (2017)- N Trig Pen, 4k 15'' Screen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kneehowguys, Feb 7, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Jeff - I thought the Spectre x360 would do that for me too - but having doubts. Had pretty good luck with an XPS in 2013, but track pad literally lifted up out of the frame and adios. If it weren't for the TERRIBLE keyboard and MacOS, I swear I'd go MacBook Pro 15.

Marty - not really looking at this as a tablet - that is awaiting another solution. It would have been used to edit notes, but mostly as a laptop-desktop replacement.

Marty likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

TP Yoga 14" or Dell Precision. Grrrrh!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

NEWS UPDATE:

The upgraded HP Spectre x360 15" with the 8th gen quad core processor and MX150 dGPU has a $100 off sale going on right now (8GEN100). The coupon is flakey, so if it doesn't work, open a chat window and they will set up sales team to call back and get order right. Anyway, you can get the Win10Home, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD for $1649 plus tax, or Win10Pro version for $1719 plus tax. Shipping is free and they are quoting 10/3 ship date, but the wink-wink was a week to build and ship.

Lisa's @MobileTechReview video of the pre-8th Gen model:

<Cancelled - see below #49: Since this is a new machine, not a refurb, I figured I would try again -> HP has a 30 day return window if defects arise. That is a LOT of computer for a pittance. Can you imagine what the Surface Book 2 with 16GB/1TB and 8th Gen Intel/Nvidia MX150 is going to cost you? It's $3299 for last year's configuration right now...a lot just to rip the cover off...

So how did HP get first dibs on the 8th generation quad core i7 and Nvidia MX150?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Wait, what? You bought this?
    Weren't you looking for great mobility and wacom emr pen?!? o_O

5. dstrauss

Yes, and I still am - but assuming an "expected" rollout of December for the Acer Switch 7 will likely mean January-February availability, and by then I can pass the HP downstream to an associate as the Acer claims its rightful spot - and I get to unload the SP4 while there's still some warranty left which ups the ante on eBay.

How's that Galaxy Note 8 purchase coming?

Azzart likes this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Dale,
    As usual you have spotted a potential winner - previous caveats aside, but they were before your news update. Still, one word of caution: HP is notorious for making beta testers of the buyers of their newly released hdwe products. Sure, this is an update, and I understand your timing on the SP4 sale, but what is plan B if it craps out in the first 30? Also, have you been able to ascertain how the masses have been feeling about their Jan 2017 versions of this, months out? It is so very seductive and yes, a relative steal, but it's an HP consumer product...

7. dstrauss

Plan B is to not sell the SP4 immediately - warranty is good until Feb 2018 on it so plenty of time to sell. Long term users of early Sx360 seem satisfied as well. As for being a beta tester, I’m a Surface Pro and Surface Book vet - been beta testing for Microsoft for years now so not much difference.

Consumer product is a valid concern, but seems to be well constructed - not your usual HP Best Buy kit.

8. Azzart

Ordered from Amazon in the end, should be here today IF Amazon Logistics delivers in time for once.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Apologies to all, especially @lovelaptops and @Azzart -

Yes, the x360 sale is a real bargain, but thanks to a quick intervention and good thoughts from Azzart and Jeff, I have decided to avert a mistake and cancel the order.

First - bad planning to say if it didn't work out I'd pass it downstream - poor judgment and business practice.

Second - I have railed unmercifully about EMR superiority and why I love it. That has not changed.

Third - just a LITTLE patience is likely to reveal a whole new smorgasbord of 2-in-1 devices that may get me close to that holy grail of one device for all purposes. I kind of doubt it though, knowing me...(for you old folks out there, I'm like Jimmy Stewart in How the West Was Won, when explaining why he would could never settle down - "I'd always be going to see that varmit Eve..." You had to see the movie to understand.).

So thanks again guys for the thoughts, warnings, and good advice. However, if anyone is looking for a great deal on a desktop replacement laptop, the upgraded x360 is a real bargain.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  10. Azzart

@dstrauss you forgot to mention one great 'pro' though: the design is friggin' beautiful with that black and golden finish. :D

(By the way, this post is written on a certain Samsung phone :rolleyes: )

dstrauss likes this.