HP Spectre X360 15 (2017)- N Trig Pen, 4k 15'' Screen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kneehowguys, Feb 7, 2017.

1. tray

tray Pen Pal - Newbie

has anyone tried the Wacom ink with this machine ..want to get this or the yoga 720 but love the hp screen I think the Wacom ink should give better initial activation force

2. elkbath

elkbath Pen Pal - Newbie

My 2017 Spectre x360 15 just came in yesterday and so far everything feels as good as it can get. Performance is top notch, the screen is absolutely beautiful, and the entire user experience is just a pleasure. It's my first time really getting to use a convertible and it's definitely nice to be able to switch between the different modes. Believe it or not, I don't find the 15" form factor too large to use even as a tablet o_O

I'm just hoping to find somewhere that I can purchase a stylus that works well with this, because I bought mine refurbished from Amazon and it didn't come with the included stylus. If anyone finds something, please let me know!

- Elkbath

3. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm currently using the Bamboo Ink with the HP Spectre x360 13. Since mine is refurbished, I don't have the HP Active Pen that usually comes in the box. But, I did compare this against my Surface 3 pen (which is supposedly about the same as the HP's pen) and the IAF is definitely lower.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I just picked up a refurb Spectre x360 15 and am pretty amazed at the feature to value proposition of this device. I got it for $1350 (the 1TB model), but even at full price ($1800 for 1TB) it is a steal. BETTER STILL, the full price model has just been upgraded with the new Kaby Lake 2 quad-core processor and the MX150 GPU, FOR THE SAME $1800 PRICE.

The Thunderbolt 3 port is a full four channels [Marty - immediately below, has some pretty solid proof it may only be two channels - HP lying to me is one thing, but they also told Daniel Robino the same thing over at WindowsCentral] (take that Dell XPS 15) AND it works out of the box with the Dell 16T Thunderbolt Dock (take that AGAIN Dell). The only issue with the Dell Dock is that it wouldn't recognize both of my DP monitors (they are only WQHD) from the full and mini DP ports - I had to daisy chain the two together from the mini DP port to get both monitors working. Still, I have my dual displays, Ethernet, USB speakers, mouse, and HP Laserjet 4000T all up and running just like they were on my SP4 dock. BTW - it IS charging the laptop, despite an initial warning on the screen that says HP recommends using an HP charger for this device.

PS - can confirm you can use the SP4 pen with it, without any pairing, and the eraser does work. Haven't really tested out inking yet (still getting office setup going) but don't think I'll be using that too much, except maybe editing/revising existing notes. Passing the note taking chores to my iPP until Microsoft decides to get off the pot and deliver a WOA tablet the size of an iPP.

UPDATE - immediately I get a PM - WHY DID YOU DO THIS?

For me, it is the best analog to a MacBook Pro 15 without having to go to Mac OS. I wanted the screen real estate when working from home. I don't like to mess with hooking up monitors to the SP4 at home, and I have been doing so much Word editing of multiple documents these days, the HP 15.6" 4k display is a joy to work with documents side by side.

I have a partner who is all in on the Dell XPS 15, which is a fine machine, but spec wise I gave up the quad core and higher dGPU power for the flip screen, pen, and full throughput TB3 port.

As for economic considerations, I got TWO of these refurbs (for me and my wife) for the same price as one MB Pro 15 refurb, and about $600 more than one Dell XPS 15 refurb. If I were to do it again, I'd go with the new one because of the processor and dGPU for the $1800 win.

PS - I know it's personal preference, but the HP keyboard is much better than the Dell XPS 15, and ASTRONOMICALLY better than the MacBook Pro 15.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There actually some people on Reddit who investigated this claim and it seems that it's only x2 after all:

[​IMG]

Any U-series processor that claims full TB3 bandwidth should be treated with some healthy doubt, as there are only 10-12 PCIe lanes to distribute for I/O. The XPS15 uses a H-series processor with 16 lanes and Dell still ran into routing difficulties, so even having more lanes is no guarantee.

6. dstrauss

Well, that sucks, especially given they (HP) told me it was 4 channel and more surprisingly, they told Daniel Robino at WindowsCentral the same thing. I've added a note about your findings to my original post.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

WOW. Haven't posted here for 6 mos (tending to personal, rather than electronics, health issues.) Thank you for the like today of my February post; brought me back from the dungeon! Hope you are well, my friend.

I never thought Id see the day Dale purchased an HP c-o-n-s-u-m-e-r device. Even more bizarre: I have been this close (however close "this" is!) to buying the same model. (I returned my 13" x360 quickly due to horrid batt life with the 4k screen.) My alternative choice is a brandy new X1 Carbon Yoga. Gonna wait it out to see if the Spectre x360 15 lasts 2 weeks with Dale , my hero! Where did you get your HP refurb?

Cheers!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

8. dstrauss

Hey old buddy - sorry I missed the start of your message - hope you are doing better!

- got the refurb from a HP Certified retailer on eBay - BUT - hold off any purchase yet. After my joyous post, the camera (Windows Hello) and WiFi card both crapped out during some updates, and it is scrambled FUBAR. The good savings may not be worth this; probably should have just bought new in first place.

Going out of town this afternoon so will try to update the forum on Monday - I'm afraid your first thought may have just bit me in the @$$ - consumer level hardware - should have known better - I tried a "repair" on the Office install and the thing disappeared - and yesI was careful to be sure to ask only for a repair.

[​IMG]

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Been there, done that, more times than I can count. Hp is maming the sexiest hdwe in the bus by far and it scores 10s in all the benchmarks and reviews. Then comes day 2, or week 2 - if it makes it past that, you're probably safe, as long as you don't stress it or bang it. Somebody needs to live with these for a couple of months, work them, maybe manhandle them a bit. Then publish a review. I have to say that over many years I've done better w/refurbs than new. Always fivured that was because the testing testing is done by humans, not robots. But of course, the component insertion is also done by humans, and that's riskier than by robots. I so want to own and use the x360 more than any darn business class ugly duckling with weaker specs, but don't know how to trust. Then there's the problem of support; they all pretty much suck, but Dell is the only consumer brand that offers bus. class onsite support. But then, I've never owned a Dell that wasn't a disaster, even with the support. The company is customer-hostile! The two computers Ive never had trouble with over the past 10 years: 1)Surface Pros, 2) Thinkpad Yogas. Wah!

Still, I'm 66 and I'm semi retired and semi-ailing and I just want a 15" computer weighing less than 5 lb with an active digitizer, blinding 4k screen with 1500+ contrast, 100% SRGB coverage, killer fast NVME/PCIE SSD, 8 hrs battery life and a decent keyboard so I don't have to be in my office docked to other hardware (where I may as well use a desktop I can fix myself!) to have machine bliss.

HP and Dell consumer models do that for around $1,500. Then they break!

Peace, out!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been doing some thinking about your surprise purchase and I realized, specifically for your case of side-by-side editing, the 16:9 aspect aspect actually ends up being a plus.

But I have ask, do you find the 16:9 15.6" awkward to convert and use in slate mode, especially in portrait? I always thought you liked smaller tablets for inking such (like your old TPT2 ;)) so this purchase quite a shocker.