HP Spectre X360 15 (2017)- N Trig Pen, 4k 15'' Screen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kneehowguys, Feb 7, 2017.

1. wynand32

wynand32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just thought I'd jump here and add that the 15" makes for a great 4K Netflix machine using Microsoft's Edge browser. Put it in presentation mode (which I'd rename movie mode), plug in some headphones (headphones get really, really loud), and enjoy.

2. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much for the great reply, really helped me decide to go ahead with the 15" 2017 model. I've been testing it and loving the performance, in straight web browsing I've gotten around 9+ hours at 60% brightness/no cortana/processor max set to 70%. Just love the performance on this device, definetely feels alot "smoother" than the 2016 model and the new non pentile screen is wonderful

3. eelpout

eelpout Pen Pal - Newbie

Picked up the 13.3" 512GB/16GB version since Best Buy was having a sale. Here's a quick run of Crystal Disk Mark.

I'm pretty sure it has the same PCIe drive as the 15" version (mine has a 512GB Samsung MZVLW512HMJP)

[​IMG]

I'm coming from the previous version with Skylake. Wish it had one more USB-A port and I miss two other things: the SD Card slot (I'm a photographer) and surprisingly, the hard key for right click (have to go back to shift-F10 ;)).

Other than that, love the reduced footprint and weight. I think the battery life will be just a tick better, I had been getting close to 6.5 hours in battery saver mode on the previous one already.

Mine came with a leather pouch for transport, wish it had room for the power brick too. But, unlike the Skylake model, this brick is small enough that I don't feel like I'll have to run out and get an aftermarket one for travel.

Attached Files:

kvoram likes this.
  4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I feel your pain. It is bad enough when a laptop has only a half-depth SD Card slot where the card sticks out when inserted. Now more and more laptops only offer micro-SD slots on relatively big devices. Something as ubiquitous as a regular full-size and full-depth SD-Card slot should be mandatory on any >=13" device.

When I think about that my smartphone from 10 years ago had a full-size SD Card slot but now we sometimes can't get that on a relatively big laptop...:mad:

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

This, 100%. Waiting for a trackpoint Lenovo Thinkpad in this form factor and screen size. Gen 13 Wacom AES too please?

I dig my Thinkpad 14 all in all. It's a good laptop- just would prefer a bigger screen, better pen, more battery life, brighter screen, better audio. But I would take just the first 3 if need be.

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

How are you turning off Cortana? I have a Thinkpad 13, and I max out at 6/6.5 hours. Ugh. Could care less about Cortana too. Haven't found a way to turn it off yet.

Looking for basic ways to improve battery life and still get done what I normally do- word processing, email, surfing, some digital 2d drawing. CPU power has never been a need of mine. Just want a bigger screen with good pen tech

7. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wonder if they could put in the Nvidia into the 13 inch. Would be nice.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Take a look at this quote from Paul Thurrott's review of the HP Spectre x360 15:

The man clearly hasn't ever visited this site or read a post by me or @thatcomicsguy! :D

9. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got the hp 360x spectre. I'm wanting to love it. I came from a Fujitsu T904 with wacom emr. I don' t know if there's a way I can adjust my settings. I draw(in photoshop) and it doesn't always draw when I start. it takes a lot of pressure to show up and at the end there's a triangle probably from the pressure. There's major lag and with a basic brush stroke. I'm thinking of taking it back, but I just don't know. Is this normal for n-trig pens? I mean do I have to go to the wacom pro pen, or is that the same with sensitivity.