HP Spectre X360 15 (2017)- N Trig Pen, 4k 15'' Screen

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kneehowguys, Feb 7, 2017.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't see a separate thread for it and it looks significantly different than past X360's

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1604151&quantity=1&source=aw&aid=7168&jumpid=af_6mrc7uxaeb&awc=7168_1486513159_4c404a03387efb635c765704c0d864e5&aoid=35252&pbid=85386&siteid=VigLink Inc

Starts at about 1280$, Kaby Lake

• Windows 10 Home 64
    • Intel® Core™ i7-7500U (2.7 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX (2GB GDDR5 dedicated)
    • 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
    • 15.6" diagonal UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160)
    • 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
    - N trig pen

15 inch 4k screen with N trig pen? Isn't that alone enough to garner some fanfare?

Some review sites claim 10 hours battery life though with a 15 inch 4k screen, I somewhat doubt it.

Doesn't seem to be an option to get a lower resolution

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    kvoram likes this.
  2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here is one actual review:
    http://www.pcmag.com/review/351559/hp-spectre-x360-15-2017

I think it's an interesting device. I don't care much about the bling-bling color scheme, but it's tolerable.

A matte screen would have been better though.

Port selection is quite good, with full-size SD-Card slot, full-Size HDMI, 1 USB-A and 2x USB-C with one of them being a Thunderbolt 3 port.

Hopefully the Thunderbolt 3 ports is fully featured, as some Dell devices use only PCIe x2 on their TB3 port, so nowadays we have to be aware that some manufacturers are limiting the TB3 bandwidth.

And hopefully HP doesn't continue with their silly non-spec-compliant restriction of third-party USB-C chargers.

Another concern for me would be the slightly non-traditional keyboard-layout:

[​IMG]

But overall, it is a nice package!

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-laptop---15t-touch-x6w04av-1

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If anyone gets their hands on this, could you do a diagonal line test on the digitizer?

It will interesting to see if this is a re-hash of the Vaio Flip 15 digitizer, or if MS created a new metal-mesh digitizer at 15". If MS is revamping N-Trig across all screen sizes this could hint at larger tablets becoming more common in the future. :thumbsup:

4. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know about the n-trig but does n-trig have pen-tablet deviation like in wacom where each pen has different behaviour when paired with different tablet?

15" with stylus is becoming a trend. 15" Yoga 720 is rumored to have stylus as well and seems has better GPU than this and offers FHD resolution but I don't know about TB3 on that, have to wait for MWC. Lenovo's web cache confirmed that this has TB.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HP is back to N-trig now? I thought they were all comfy with Wacom AES after their brief foray with Synaptics.....they really need to come up with a more distinctive name for their pens, cause now the HP Active Pen can essentially mean any of the 3, Wacom, Ntrig, Synaptics.

6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still waiting for the thinkpad yoga 15 to come back home.

To stylus world.

TrackPoint or bust. It's the reason now I think I'd prefer a TP yoga x1 over any of the 15 inch stylus convertibles.

I remember a tablet pc review forum user saying that he thought 14 was the perfect size because 15 would be too big for his lap

Too bad yoga 720 won't have a trackpoint most likely.

7. cutterline

That'd be a very long wait as it seems a very niche market as putting 'thinkpad' name increases the price a lot. Maybe if this one has good sales, they'd consider releasing a thinkpad yoga version.

Tex Yoda mech keyboard seems a good solution for those who like trackpoint though.

8. eelpout

eelpout Pen Pal - Newbie

The 13.3" variant of this is already at BestBuy.

9. cutterline

Quite comprehensive review is over here

Honestly, this is a good one if you like drawing in a big screen and moves a lot.
    From power consumption comparison with yoga 910, that 940MX seems to be on all the time. I wonder if it is needed to drive the 4K screen smoothly?

10. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While that review shows that 2017 Spectre X360 15 is a well-rounded device, I find it annoying that it exhibits some completely unneccessary and easily avoidable bugs and engineering flaws:

• Very weak hinge ("In fact, even the action of picking up the x360 can cause the display to swing backwards beyond a 180 degree angle. Tapping on the screen also introduces noticeable wobbles, so the laptop might not be the best choice for train rides and such.")
    • Incoherent keyboard quality ("noisy space bar")
    • Sub-par Synaptics Touchpad ("right-clicks are finicky")
    • Erratic fan behaviour ("they do sometimes turns on for no apparent reason with the noise level then jumping to 36 dB")

No, the Intel iGPU is perfectly fine to drive a 4K display smoothly and the review seems to state that it switches between iGPU and dGPU. It's probably a rather inefficient big 4K display that is the cuplrit for the power draw.