HP Spectre X2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by MikeOx, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Regert

Regert Pen Pal - Newbie

A short review after a couple of weeks of use.
    I got a HP Spectre X2 Pro.
    Positive:
    + Very good screen. Might be one of the best laptop screens I've experienced so far. However it's not without drawbacks. (see negative).
    + Very good construction rigidity. No creaks mostly. The clasp works good, and the screen/tablet part fits the connectors well. The button is easy to operate. (See Negative for more details)
    + Quite good keyboard. Quite good backlight. Typing is quick (subjective) and not loud, which is a definitive plus.
    + So far quite good battery time. I have not measured how long I get but with 3G/4G working (see below for details) and the screen upped due to bright environment I get at least 5 hours work done.
    + Very ligth and sufficiently small power adapter. Always a positive thing, since they do take up space and need to be brought along. Also it doesn't seem to be so small that it overheats easily.
    + Quite OK speakers considering their size. Of course - as expected in the high and treble area. Works good for youtube and such.
    + Seems like good Wifi performance.
    + Really good screen size. Easy to show people stuff in a work environment. Not as blingy as a Ipad, and can use standard security features as well as light enought as tablet.

Mixed:
    - Trackpad: Well it's fairly good, has a glossy feeling. However it's not always very exact. BUT it needs to be configured properly in the drivers and Synaptics program (update recommended) before it works better. After that, quite good for zooming, pinching and scrolling. Have not compared to a Apple Macbook, but still think it's quite good.
    - Cooling: Works really well, but usually when the CPU runs at full speed for quite some time the screen part gets warm. I don't know if it within the thermal envelope, but it worries a bit. So if you plan do to extensive work and will load the CPU, I'd recommend a small usb or solar powered fan on the side just to keep it cool. It would be nice to have a temperature indication somewhere and also to know how the cooling works. Of course - no fan - no noise. That is wonderful.
    - The black edges around the screen. They are good and easy to hold, but they also attract lot of fingerprints, and could be scratched by rings and such.
    - The outer material. It's really good. And I like it. But the screen part at least would need to have a sleeve/hardshell accessory of some kind to not be slippery.

Negative:
    - Construction rigidity: My unit seems to creak a bit strange on the left side of the screen.
    - The color sheen is such that on edges it will wear off quickly.
    - No FN button switch. For programming and some other use that is a must.
    - Hard to turn the clasp into folded mode is the screen is detached. Very useful for putting the keyboard part away and using the computer as tablet for extended periods.
    - NO USB on the screen part (WHY? at least a mini-USB should have been there).
    - NO SD-card reader on the keyboard part.
    - NO Displayport on the keyboard per. Either that or dual HDMI ports. Since the GPU part of the CPU can handle dual screens. On a business oriented (Pro) model I'd say that is a requirement.
    - As a laptop quite heavy considering the alternatives.
    - No "mousestick" for those who are used to that. The touchpad screen allieviates it a bit however.

- Now the main part. So far the Huawei mobile chip is either crap or can't get a good control panel. When it works with a sim-card it works great. But far to often (90% of the time) the service connects but get's limited connectivity. HP in Sweden has been kind and provided alot of support, not closed or solved yet so we'll see. However as it is now it can depend on one of theese things or a combination:
    - Not really good drivers?
    - Bad implementing of standard for mobile broadband (Trying 2 ISP's). One ISP here uses a internal adress dial-up before assigning the computer a dynamic ISP. (It's seems like both "Black Magic" + some hack"). It took a while to explain to their support that I don't use a iPad/Sufpad or a cellphone, but actually a real laptop. Laptops with integrated connectivity circuits are still not very common compared to USB-dongle modems.
    - Some sort of COM-port problem.
    - No separate control panel for the 3G/4G chip. Like HP connectivity manager or similar. On the other hand Windows 8.1 has it all built in, but it seems that the ISP's haven't caught up to it yet.
    I Wonder if I could maybe get for a fee HP change the 3G/4G chip to a Ericsson one. They are usually really reliable. Or a Sierra/Motorola.

Now the RAM issue I posted above.
    Mostly 4 GB ram is enough. My guess it that this model has a m-PCI-E connector for the SSD, and the newer have M.2 - which should be alot better in this case. That also helpes for cache and everything else.
    However for some work with very large (opened or unpacked) material like PDFs, images (PNG's over 1 GB size) and such it takes a while to open, because well, those things occupy alot of space. And there the 4 GB limit is very obvious. So if you can and will use either heavy multitasking or large files on the more extreme side - get the 8 GB version. It should make this laptop fly. The CPU seems to be rather enought - I must admit I am impressed.

So all in all I must say that it's a fairly good laptop, if it HP would work out some of the quirks it's actually perhaps even great.

Since the ram is soldered, and it's always a question about economy, thermal dissipation etc I'd propose HP to install 6 or 8 GB RAM as minimum with the possibility of upgrading to 8 or 10 GB respectively.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014