HP Spectre X2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by MikeOx, Oct 17, 2013.

1. HuckleBoo

HuckleBoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Four different models?´They all share the same hardware plattform.

2. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

3. davidwes

Turned out I have the 13-h211nr model. Downloaded latest Bluetooth driver and it worked. Bluetooth is back.

4. davidwes

I let HP assistant update the intel wireless lan driver now I'm getting the "limited, no connection, full connection" cycle.

Couple days ago I set the power setting for wireless to "maximum performance" and in wireless lan configuration deselected "let computer put this device to sleep".

When I got tired of the connection dropping I switched to my atom based asus me tablet and it's wifi worked fine.

Not sure what I need to do to get robust wifi on the spectre again. I've seen a tip that says "delete wireless lan driver, press "search for new hardware" and whatever gets installed is good, but I'm a little wary of deleting the driver. Would appreciate any tips/advice from forum members.

Thanks,
    David

5. davidwes

Got this resolved. Purchased a usb to ethernet adapter at Fry's to be safe that I'd still be able to connect to the net if I hosed my WIFI driver installation.

Then all I did was "revert to previous driver" and WIFI resumed to function normally without connection drops.

6. JimK

JimK Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the HP Spectre 13t-h200 CTO x2 PC about 2 weeks ago. It's been discontinued already. I guess they've had a lot of trouble or not much sales. In any event my worst problems did have to do with updating. I went to Intels' site for some and found them better. I had trouble w/ Bluetooth also and even bought a new mouse trying to solve the problem... go into device manager \ Bluetooth Intel.... power settings and turn off allow sleep. Who in the world designs a computer to put Bluetooth to sleep??? at the very least to not ask if you want that. Otherwise it's been good so far for my needs. In the morning I just check emails, FB do some crossword puzzles, news etc. I later pop off to tablet mode for some afternoon games (all low key...chess etc) and recheck FB and emails. It definitely would be too heavy to stand around holding it in a work environment but I'm retired. I hit a 4th of July sale and got a total of $550 off list.

7. HuckleBoo

HuckleBoo Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks nice at the first blink, but after working sometime with HP devices like the Spectre x2, you will become unsatisfied with that crap. It's not worth the money, because they don't provide useful tools (apps), the SDCard is connected to the USB interface, there is no kensington lock, they are not able to offer you nice and useful cases (the folio stand case is a joke) and last but not least, you will stop using at and at the end, sell it.

It will not become the companion device for roadwarriors, not for business men or your kids.

I'm a lucky guy, because I moved forward and bought a SF3. They announced 612 will be the same crap, because they just added a Wacom digitizer, but there will be only a Core i5-Y CPU available for customers.

8. Regert

Regert Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!
    This will be one of my first post here.

I currently have a old HP 2710p that I have not been using for quite a long time and gotten by with a Dell E4300. However I am looking very actively at a HP Spectre X2 Pro, the F1N06EA model ( 256 GB SSD, Core i5, 3/4G WWAN, 1080p screen, and 4 GB ram).
    I would like to ask mainly about two things?

1. Is it possible to upgrade the 4 GB to say 6-8 GB of ram at all? And is it really a bottleneck? Does On-board mean it's soldered?

2. How is your experience of the 4GB and 8 GB model? Any dealbreaking issues?

My reason for buying this is 1. The screen, really good. 3. Battery life. 2. Size, 10-11 inches is too small to do work on in my case.

I will be working with Excel and tabulated datasets, and also reading alot of PDFs (big ones sometimes), as well as having the usual multitab browser and twitter/fb etc on it. Also using virtual machines on the computer would be nice in case I need that, and regularly doing vpn login for extended periods of time (using the 3G connection).

Otherwise I am thinking of buying a HP 2760p and upgrading it (have 16 GB DDR3 SO-DIMM lying around) or maybe even a Dell XT3, both of which have digitizers.

Kind Regards.
    Mark K
    Sweden.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Hello, Mark; welcome to our forum. A couple of comments:

<<...Does On-board mean it's soldered?..>>

...That's typically what it means, but it never hurts to get first-hand feedback from an actual owner. Hopefully, one of the other members will respond.

<<...How is your experience of the 4GB and 8 GB model?..>>

...Over time, I have used tabletPCs with both RAM sizes. In my use case, I do not use PhotoShop, so bear that in mind. My experience has been that I have seldom seen situations where 4GB of RAM were not adequate (in fact, most of the time, I have found 4GB of RAM to be very adequate!). I have an applet that shows RAM usage in real time, so my comment is based on these actual measurements. The exceptions might be VM and large PDF files; however I cannot say that I have had any real problems with those, either, because Windows does a pretty good job of paging. If you want to buy more than 4GB of RAM, you should certainly feel free to do so, but I don't see anything in your proposed use case that would absolutely demand more than 4GB (well, maybe VM, but you say that only an occasional need).

(Interestingly, I note that none of your reasons for buying the X2 Pro are related to RAM...!?!! Just an observation...)

10. Regert

Regert Pen Pal - Newbie

Thankyou!

OK. I hope someone can confirm this, since it's kind of important. I don't doing such things myself if I get better performance out of it.

That's reassuring to hear. And of course you are correct about that my questions are not RAM specific. It's that way since in my experience few things are only ram-dependent, but depend on usage pattern, OS and programs. I'll try to answer it.

For my part - A stationary PC: When it comes to work and such a typical scenarios would be browser with maybe 7-20 tabs, some office documents (excel, word, onenote) and/or PDFs, 1-3 different VPN sessions and/or a VM machine.
    On my old HP 2710 I couldn't have all that at once of course because the whole system was bottlenecked by the HDD. So I used maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of that lot. On my Dell E4300 most went fine, but the ram filled upp pretty quickly (also 4GB). Both use Win 7.
    I'm perhaps a bit old-school, a used to think that usually the more the better. Especially since the GPU-core needs RAM-access as well. Therefore the question. I really don't know how Win 8.1 + SSD play together.

As a bit of a example, I have modded a acquaintants laptop - a cheap AMD based Lenovo Edge with a SSD and 16 GB 1600 Mhz ram (was cheap). It runs a bit hot, but is OK with a cooling pad. And well.... the difference is a bit bizarre.