HP Spectre X2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by MikeOx, Oct 17, 2013.

1. HuckleBoo

HuckleBoo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure, if I'll return it to hp or not... I am fully aware, that this tablet hasn't any kind of active digitizer screen, but I tried a cheap touch screen pen and it confirmed my first impression with the touch screen. I absolutely like the form factor, because 10" screen size or below with FHD resolution is too small for me.

1st: MS Paint + Spectre x2 (13,3 FHD)

spectre.jpg

2nd: MS Paint + Acer Aspire R7 (15,6 FHD)

aspire_r7.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

So I finally updated my HP Envy x2 to Win 8.1 the other day after hearing that the update no longer caused issues & want to do the same for my HP Split x2 ultrabook that some people had recommended not updating to 8.1 due to Win 8.1 trackpad issues etc but the Spectre x2 which is the same pc in a different color & 2/3 battery thinner keyboard dock always shipped with 8.1 & some owners did complain of trackpad issues & I actually experienced this at times checking out the Spectre x2 in the Microsoft Store, have updates since corrected the trackpad issues & any other bugs?:thumbsup:

Can anyone confirm if the Split x2 ultrabook can safely be updated to Win 8.1 without issues or at least if Spectre x2 updates corrected initial Win 8.1 trackpad-touchscreen issues?:hi2:

-Thnx:cool:

BTW I noticed something odd at BestBuy, they seem to be charging $150 more for a version of the HP Split x2 ultrabook with Win 8.1..?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/split-x...8gb-solid-state-drive/1902357.p?skuId=1902357

$649.99 CLEARANCE Model: 13-g110dx SKU: 1902357

Vs: $799.99 Model: 13-g210dx SKU: 3699085 with Win 8.1 as the only real spec difference I could notice.. :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/split-x...olsp-app04-159?id=1219093055270&skuId=3699085

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. HuckleBoo

Can you please explain the trackpad-touchscreen issues? I haven't heard of that before nor did I have noticed any input problems.

My Spectre x2 is running Win8.1 (Retail, now Enterprise edition) + Spring Pre-Release + Spring Final-Release. Works like a charm.

4. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

When I was in the Microsoft Store playing with the HP Spectre x2 with Win 8.1 shortly after it first came out, the trackpad even keyboard at times became unresponsive as well as the touchscreen once & sadly the power button had been rendered broken possibly from overpressing so I had to just walk away.

My HP Envy x2 & Split x2 ultrabook have only ever become unresponsive to trackpad-keyboard-touchscreen when the memory maxed out but I have since updated my Envy x2 to Win8.1 without exacerbation of this & will try updating my Split x2 ultrabook soon to Win8.1. Some reviewers had called it a memory leak cause by the trackpad driver in 8.1 but I can not verify that. In any case I have found some reports of happy users running Win8.1 on the Split x2 ultrabook more recently so I will try it.

I still find it odd that at BestBuy, they seem to be charging $150 more for a version of the HP Split x2 ultrabook with Win 8.1 (with different model #'s & SKUs for same model except for WIn8 vs 8.1)..?

HP Split 2in1 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i5 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive 13-g110dx - Best Buy

$649.99 CLEARANCE Model: 13-g110dx SKU: 1902357

Vs: $799.99 Model: 13-g210dx SKU: 3699085 with Win 8.1 as the only real spec difference I could notice.. :

HP Split x2 Ultrabook 2in1 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive 13-g210dx - Best Buy[/I]

Glad to read that Spectre x2 owners are not having Win8.1 issues.:):thumbsup::cool:.

5. HuckleBoo

Interesting...I've only to touchpad related processes:
    * Synaptics Pointing Device Helper - 0,2MB - still sticks at 0% CPU usage
    * Synaptics TouchPad 64-bit Enhancements - 2,1MB - CPU utilization goes up to 3-4% if I use the touchpad

Device manager: Synaptics HID TouchPad - Date.06.09.2013 - Version:17.0.10.9

I agree with you, that it's very sensitive, but there are a lot of specific settings (Synaptics ClickPad properties) and I've adjusted some of them and now its working very well including the multifinger gestures.

6. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

I too have adjusted-customized them there & use all multi-finger gestures & find the touchpad experience the best of any Windows ultrabook I've owned which is why I'd like to keep it that way.:thumbsup::cool:

Below is is a link & review that includes a photo in Win 8.1. I'm hoping it has been fixed since Feb1 as I plan to update to Win8.1 when I have the time:

Reset every few hours due to faulty mouse pad Drvr
    1.0 out of 51.0
    Posted by: pessimist
    from San Diego on 02/01/2014

Win 8.1 User submitted photo in Reviews Tab at HP Split 2in1 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i5 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive 13-g110dx - Best Buy

What's great about it: No fan, no noise, not much heat
    What's not so great: mouse pad driver bug is a deal breaker
    This could be a good hybrid but HP refuses to fix the memory leak in the mouse pad driver. I'm not sure if Synaptics is part of HP or a contractor but the driver will slowly eat up all of the memory until the PC becomes unresponsive. If you don't mind resetting every few hours, then it's not bad, but unfortunately the PC becomes non-responsive at very bad times while I'm working. If you can't deal with this, don't buy it. HP refuses to address this issue so don't expect it to get fixed since they are putting their heads in the sand on this issue. For your mental health, I wouldn't recommend trying to get support from HP unless you like pain. This could be good punishment for a misbehaving child-make them try and get a problem resolved with HP customer support. This could be more effective than a time out. I exchanged the 1st one with the problem but realized it was a mouse pad driver issue after the second one failed. Another work around is disable the mouse pad driver and only use the touch screen. That is too inconvenient for me though. Most people that own this probably just reset it every few hours but it's annoying.
    No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
    5out of6found this review helpful"

7. HuckleBoo

As I mentioned some time ago, this convertible is my device for daily business. I use it most of the time connected to the A/C adapter and the keyboard dock. With all this beautiful stuff like Excel (with macros), IE11, Firefox, Powerpoint, Word, Visio, Photoshop, PDF and so on. I always have multiple instances running in parallel of all this applications. Every day from Monday to Friday without any memory-leak or touchpad related problem. I've also sometimes an external mouse connected to the dock.

They are many some other things to complain about, but the drivers available for download on their support homepage are no troublemakers for me.

Ok, I've reinstalled Windows 8.1 from scratch, but if you remove drivers for Graphic Chip and Touchpad, disable any kind of antivirus scanners, install all Windows 8.1 updates and reinstall the drivers again, will make it happen to everyone.

I love it, because it's one of the most powerful (thanks to it Core i5) and noiseless devices I have ever owned and my desktop replacement for business stuff.

8. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

On my Spectre x2 I got a popup notification: Intel Update Manager, new update available, Intel experience Center Driver Update Version 1.9.0.8 (12.53 MB).

Ok to install this update? I don't want to make a mistake.

9. davidwes

Small problem: bluetooth mouse stops moving the cursor after a while. Solution to get it working has been to go to tray -> bluetooth icon -> show bluetooth devices which brings up pc settings. Once on pc settings bluetooth page the mouse starts moving the cursor. I thought it might be the dell bt mouse so I tried my microsoft bt mouse with same results. It happens so frequently I keep pc settings open so when mouse gets stuck I can left swipe to get it moving then left swipe to resume what I was doing.

I think I read somewhere there is a sleep timeout override somewhere in device manager. Can anybody offer advice? Thank you!

10. davidwes

Latest windows update just wiped out bluetooth from my Spectre x2. Trying to download driver, but there are 4 different h200 models. Guess I'll have to wait till I get home and look for model/serial on the box.