HP Spectre X2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by MikeOx, Oct 17, 2013.

1. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm surprised this wasn't thread worthy here when announced after all it is the first fanless Haswell hybrid. Well it just went live for grabs today starting at $1099, and I was truly considering this as an option for what I might buy sadly though I went to explore the customization options and we're stuck with an i5 processor with no chance to downgrade to i3 or upgrade to i7 which doesn't really affect my decision because I wanted an i5, here comes the worst part for me there's only 4gb of RAM onboard an also no upgrade to 8gb of RAM, and it gets worse 128SSD and no downgrade nor upgrade either.

Seems odd to me that if it comes with a Intel® Core™ i5-4202Y Processor which supports up to 16gb of RAM they do not offer at least 8gb of RAM, could it be because of the tablet being fanless? I know an i7 processor would affect the heat so no questions there but would more RAM and SSD be the reason they can't upgrade on a fanless tablet?

HP Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC | HP® Official Store

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Sorry that you are still trying to apply logic to HP's marketing decisions. When you step back and realize that applying logic to the flight path of mosquitos is futile you will understand...

RaymondPJR likes this.
  3. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm just trying to understand since the HP Spectre x2 ultrabook model does support the features the hybrid does not, I'm merely curious if it's because of it being fanless.

4. kitenski

kitenski Pen Pal - Newbie

I suspect it may be a restriction on what can be fitted into the screen vs the non detachable version where they have more real estate for more cooling, hence more memory and bigger drives.........

Anyone happen to know the part number for the one with the higher res screen at all??

5. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

What's the point of buying this thing if it doesn't have an active digitizer??

RaymondPJR likes this.
  6. josetheman37

josetheman37 Pen Pal - Newbie

If this is for your business, or you need to use it for your job, I can understand your point, but in my case(just a college student learning cisco routing), I would never use a digitizer, even for taking notes(easier to just write on my notebook). Sorry if I sound ignorant to you and I don't mean any offense. I don't know what percentage of people I represent by not caring about a digitizer.
    I do agree with you that they should include an active digitizer to satisfy more potential buyers. in this case, more is always better. :)

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This community is very passionate about Active Digitizer and/or Pen Computing and this community pre-dates the current Generation of Consumption driven Tablets and most have built their entire work flow around Pen based computing. In this community you find Students, Teachers/Professors, Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers/IT Consultants and Artist/Graphic Professional who use the pen everyday.

dceggert likes this.
  8. josetheman37

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just a newbie here and I have learned some good info from your response.

9. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  10. josetheman37

I also think that the split 13t-g100 is better. I'm thinking about getting that too.