HP Spectre X2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by MikeOx, Oct 17, 2013.

1. MikeOx

MikeOx Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm surprised this wasn't thread worthy here when announced after all it is the first fanless Haswell hybrid. Well it just went live for grabs today starting at $1099, and I was truly considering this as an option for what I might buy sadly though I went to explore the customization options and we're stuck with an i5 processor with no chance to downgrade to i3 or upgrade to i7 which doesn't really affect my decision because I wanted an i5, here comes the worst part for me there's only 4gb of RAM onboard an also no upgrade to 8gb of RAM, and it gets worse 128SSD and no downgrade nor upgrade either.

Seems odd to me that if it comes with a Intel® Core™ i5-4202Y Processor which supports up to 16gb of RAM they do not offer at least 8gb of RAM, could it be because of the tablet being fanless? I know an i7 processor would affect the heat so no questions there but would more RAM and SSD be the reason they can't upgrade on a fanless tablet?

HP Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC | HP® Official Store

2. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Sorry that you are still trying to apply logic to HP's marketing decisions. When you step back and realize that applying logic to the flight path of mosquitos is futile you will understand...

RaymondPJR likes this.
  3. MikeOx

I'm just trying to understand since the HP Spectre x2 ultrabook model does support the features the hybrid does not, I'm merely curious if it's because of it being fanless.

4. kitenski

kitenski Pen Pal - Newbie

I suspect it may be a restriction on what can be fitted into the screen vs the non detachable version where they have more real estate for more cooling, hence more memory and bigger drives.........

Anyone happen to know the part number for the one with the higher res screen at all??

5. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

What's the point of buying this thing if it doesn't have an active digitizer??

RaymondPJR likes this.
  6. josetheman37

josetheman37 Pen Pal - Newbie

If this is for your business, or you need to use it for your job, I can understand your point, but in my case(just a college student learning cisco routing), I would never use a digitizer, even for taking notes(easier to just write on my notebook). Sorry if I sound ignorant to you and I don't mean any offense. I don't know what percentage of people I represent by not caring about a digitizer.
    I do agree with you that they should include an active digitizer to satisfy more potential buyers. in this case, more is always better. :)

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

This community is very passionate about Active Digitizer and/or Pen Computing and this community pre-dates the current Generation of Consumption driven Tablets and most have built their entire work flow around Pen based computing. In this community you find Students, Teachers/Professors, Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers/IT Consultants and Artist/Graphic Professional who use the pen everyday.

dceggert likes this.
  8. josetheman37

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just a newbie here and I have learned some good info from your response.

9. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  10. josetheman37

I also think that the split 13t-g100 is better. I'm thinking about getting that too.

11. josetheman37

I think the difference between these two is the build materials and the backlit keyboard on the specter. I also went to BB today to check out the split X2 and left thinking that the keyboard felt cheap. Also, to me, the material surrounding the keyboard feels like plastic.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  12. crushna

crushna Pen Pal - Newbie

I am still thinking the build materials must be the same for 13t-g100 and spectre x2 whereas the colors are different.. and I still dont see the 200 dollars price difference in just a backlit keyboard. Also why does spectre x2 have less battery time when compared to 13t-g100 while the internals are exactly the same

13. cpufox

cpufox Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree on the need for a stylus of any sort, and pen digitizer due to the detachable slate. Limitations on ram may be due to onboard cpu and ram being in the slate, so less customization. I absolutely require a backlit keyboard, with the Spectre 13t x2 has, but the Split 13t-g100 x2 does not.

I would not have hesitated in buying the new Spectre 13 x2 tonight if it had assurance of supporting a stylus. The handwriting, note taking an increasing important feature for a larger tablet, and with Windows 8.1 OneNote this would have worked beautifully. There was word the ElitePad Revolve 810 could support the new Executive Pen. We need that news for an x2, please.

14. kitenski

Ok, I've had my spectre x2 for a few weeks, I have the model with the 256SSD and 1920x1080 screen, Product number: F1N05EA#ABU

When I use it, it's been almost all the time, getting battery life a shade over 6 hours, that's with the screen on for the majority of that time and it connected to wifi.....

I do have the exec pen for the Elitepad will have to try it out on the Spectre...

Cheers,

Greg

15. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey Greg, how do you like its 1920x1080 screen, is it bright enough for you? Do you keep it at 100% brightness?

6 hours is not the greatest battery life, it has a smaller battery in the keyboard dock compared to the Split x2 hence slimmer there but also the shorter battery life..

I've considered upgrading my BestBuy Black Friday Split x2 to an HP configured model with 2x bright 1080p screen & dual band Wi-Fi options but when I went into the Microsoft store to check out the Spectre x2 I was not really impressed with its 1080p screen nor its brightness but will try to go back in now to compare to my current x2. I will contact HP first to see if they can confirm the screen I would be looking at in the Microsoft store on the Spectre x2 would be the same as the upgraded 1080p screen for the Split x2.

"Radiance Full HD Infinity display
    HP Radiance displays deliver richer color, 50% greater brightness, and wider viewing angles than traditional laptop displays."

The display on the Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 36984SU 11.6-Inch Convertible 2-in-1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (Black): Computers & Accessories they showed me was much more vivid.

Let us know -Thnx:cool:

16. kitenski

On battery I'm running it around 45% brightness and it's fine, on power I run it at 100%...by knocking the brightness down a little batterybar is telling me I'm up to 6hr 30m run time....

This thing ain't little though, the tablet is "big" compared to,say, an 10" Android or Apple tablet...

I think my perfect device would be the power and screen of the Spectre X2 in an Envy x2 form factor....

17. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Sounds like you like the Spectre x2 screen-more motivation for me to try to look at it again this time compared to the BestBuy Split x2.. at 45% brightness do whites look gray? (as I recall seeing at the Microsoft store Spectre x2 demo model & because they do on the BestBuy Split x2 with its base 200 nit non-HP upgraded screen but my Envy x2 whites still look white at 45% on its 400 nit screen)..:thumbsup:[/I]

The Split x2 tablet is the same size weight as the Spectre x2 so yeah it's not small but my hands have no problem using it in tablet mode. 11.6" is a great size for frequent travel with minimal compromise. You may want to look out for the Lenovo Helix haswell refresh maybe Q1 2014 or lets see what HP does with the next Envy x2..:hi2:

18. MikeOx

I had my eyes set on this laptop but when it came out it had no support for the specs I need but guess what, I received an email yesterday and now it does.

HP Spectre X2 starts at $999
    4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor + Intel® HD Graphics(For 4 GB Memory)
    Included in price
    4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor + Intel® HD Graphics(For 8 GB Memory)
    +$95.00
    4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4500U Processor + Intel® HD Graphics(For 8GB Memory)
    +$195.00

Onboard 8GB DDR3 System Memory
    +$0.00
    Onboard 4GB DDR3 System Memory
    Included in price

13.3-inch diagonal Radiance Full HD Infinity LED-backlit Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen
    Included in price
    13.3-inch diagonal Vivid QHD Infinity LED-backlit Display (2560x1440) Touchscreen
    +$70.00

128GB Flash Solid State Drive
    Included in price
    256GB Flash Solid State Drive
    +$150.00

The configuration I want would cost me $1315 so it's miles better than the Surface Pro 2 since it already includes the keyboard and I'm willing to give up the wacom stylus since I don't really need it, just thought to give you guys a heads up on the news in case you didn't know this.

19. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Update: You must mean the non detachable Spectre at HP Spectre | HP® Official Store not the detachable x2 at: HP Spectre 13t-h200 x2 PC | HP® Official Store

Original Post: Could you link us please I don't see such configurations available at: Detachable Laptops|HP Split x2 & HP Slatebook x2 | HP® Official Site

It would be :cool: for that to be available for the Split x2 ultrabook with bigger battery in keyboard..

Could you copy-paste your config@$1315?

Yes thanks for the heads up & I'll keep looking until you reply..Thnx:cool:

20. HuckleBoo

HuckleBoo Pen Pal - Newbie

The old HP Split x2 version is still the only choice to take an HP Win8 Tablet with you, that's loaded with 8Gb memory.

They removed the memory slot with the new version, which becomes also the base system for their Spectre series and replaced it with a 2nd miniPCIe slot for the 3G/4G add-on.

The memory is now soldered on the system board and therefore the system board isn't anymore accessible for end users. That's also the reason why you have to break-up the screw cover triem piece to access and remove the screws of the back cover. Otherwise you are not able to disassemble the back cover.

A new piece is included with ALL spare part components, because this is the only way how it works.

So you have to buy the old Split x2 model with FHD display and 2nd battery in keyboard dock to expand the memory to a total of 8Gb OR wait for HP to ship a 8Gb Spectre version, which still exist but isn't available yet.

Btw, the TDP of the i7-4500U, which is a dual-core version, is around 3 Watt higher compared to the i5-4202Y and that's they reason why you will never see this CPU in a fanless tablet.