HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you describe or perhaps make a video of the issue?

My spectre x2 is coming this friday, and the sole reason i pulled the trigger is because i'm having accuracy issues with the new surface pro. It is bad parallax? Jitter? Issues with the pen pressure.

Thanks

2. Downwind

Downwind Pen Pal - Newbie

The documentation that came with the pen references the HP Pen Control APP. Here's the support page that describes what it's supposed to do: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05478395

The problem is that there's no HP Pen Control App on the X2. At least I can't find it. HP's site doesn't have a driver I can download.

Anybody have any ideas what to do. I'm assuming that HP will update eventually. Their support usually lags their hardware. This is my 3rd HP machine. Love them, but hate their lack of support.

3. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

What kind of problems are you having with the nSP pen? I'm loving it, and all the reviews I've read have praised it. Just curious if you have a bad one, or I'm missing something.

4. gobmonster

gobmonster Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, i'm on my 4th replacement tablet (straight out of the box) and my second replacement pen. I don't want to go too far into details because i'm exhausted with it, but when i write on the surface pro 2017 with the new pen, the cursor doesn't always stay at the pen tip. Its not just regular parallax, my issue is that sometimes the ink stays at the pen tip, then other times, holding the pen exactly the same, the cursor will parallax and jitter. Makes it impossible for me to draw. Then there's a super jitter if i try to draw using my artist glove, so now my work flow is intermittent and compromised.

For whatever reason, a friend of mine able to grab my surface and draw without any issues, nothing that i was seeing. Soon as i picked it back up the problem came back. I'm starting to wonder if the machine just doesn't like me, but it could just be that it's not compatible with the way my palm makes contact with the screen. And this doesnt happen when i used the old pen, only the new "more accurate" pen.

5. TonyLaw17

TonyLaw17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, HP does have a pen-control app you can download. Just open up HP Support Assistant, go to support, then click on HP Product Support, then click on software and drivers, then find the "Software-Solutions" tab and you'll see the HP Pen Control App. In my experience using it, I'm not impressed. You can't program the buttons to open specific apps. Instead, you can only program the pen buttons to do utility tasks, such as clicking the pen button to raise the volume or lower it, etc. I recommend buying Wacom's Ink Stylus because it has a better feel when holding it and has the pen button like the Surface Pro 4 Pen.

6. shoqman

shoqman Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anybody know if the RAM is upgradeable this time around?

I bought the 8gb version at Best Buy because I wanted to try it out but have the option to take it back if it didn't work for my needs. But that version is the 8gb version, and because the tablet takes 3gb for VRAM, that leaves you with around 5 gigs to function, which is nowhere near enough for my test scenarios.

I like it enough that I'd totally keep it if I could upgrade the RAM (and SSD would be nice too.)

7. CJackson.LASD

CJackson.LASD Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe you have to order yours off HP.com. however the extra 8gb ram is $220 more.

I'm currently benchmarking all my computers will post results tonight when done.

Anyone k ow how to set up SP4 pen buttons on this laptop?

8. Kinstar

Kinstar Pen Pal - Newbie

My core i7 16 GB RAM 256 GB SSD came in today. I paid $1450 without tax. So far it's holding up pretty well. I did have an issue with fan noise and overheating and overclocking (doing basic productivity tasks) of the CPU earlier. It seems to have calmed down.

The RAM is non-upgradable, pretty sure. If anyone is wondering, I started off with about ~12 gb usable memory. Also the HP Active Pen is not that good. Anyone know if Microsoft's new Surface Pen is compatible with HP screens? I know they both use nTrig but I just wanna be sure before I spend $100 on the pen.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

9. Kinstar

Kinstar Pen Pal - Newbie

If you go to Pen Settings, you can set it up!

10. CJackson.LASD

CJackson.LASD Pen Pal - Newbie

HP Spectre X2 2017 Benchmarks:

Note: Tests done were done twice and averaged. I did not run all tests on all computers.

Computers: In order of cost

nSP - New Surface Pro 2017 (i7-7660u, Iris Plus Graphics 640, 16gb Ram) $2199
    X360 - HP Spectre X360 15 4k (i7-7500u, Geforce 940m, 16gb Ram) $1500
    X2 - HP Spectre X2 (i7-7560, Iris Plus Graphics 640, 8gb Ram) $1220
    SP4 - Surface Pro 4 (i5 6th Gen, Intel Graphics 520, 8gb Ram) $925
    HP15 - HP Elite 17" 2012 (i7-360, Geforce 650m 4gb, 8gb Ram) $600
    S3 - Surface 3 (Atom 7, Intel HD, 2gb Ram) $395

PCMark 8 - Work Conventional
    nSP - 3032 **1st Place**
    X360 - 2706 **3rd Place**
    X2 - 2990 **2nd Place**
    SP4 - 2613
    HP15 - 2556
    S3 - 1489

PCMark 8 - Creative Conventional
    nSP - 3209 **1st Place**
    X360 -
    X2 - 3163 **2nd Place**
    SP4 - 2559 **3rd Place**
    HP15 -
    S3 -

3DMark - Cloudgate
    nSP - 8221 **1st Place**
    X360 -
    X2 - 5802 / 7027 w/fan **3rd Place**
    SP4 - 5984 **2nd Place**
    HP15 - 5821
    S3 -

3DMark - Skydiver
    nSP - 6534 **1st Place**
    X360 - 3756
    X2 - 4296 / 4565 w/fan **3rd Place**
    SP4 - 3615
    HP15 - 4762 **2nd Place**
    S3 -

Conclusion: New Surface Pro got *1st Place* on 4/4 tests. Spectre X2 got *2nd Place* 2/4 and *3rd Place* 2/4. Interesting fact, I noticed the X2 runs very hot when performing 3D modeling. When I attached an external usb fan to the computer the 3DMark Cloudgate score jumped from 5802 to 7027, and SkyDiver jumped from 4296 to 4560. If you look online you will read many posts that Microsoft greatly improved their throtteling issue from the SP4 to the nSP, I am assuming the nSP (due to more years of building the laptop) has better hardware architecture/wetware that allows it to run more efficient to score the higher benchmarks. Yes I benchmarked the nSP 16gb version, but if you look at comparisons of the 8gb to 16gb, the benchmarks are only off by a few points, there are numerous youtube videos showing how little 8gb+ Ram affects 3d gaming.

In all the HPX2 is about $450 cheaper and has many pros over the nSP (better screen, better build, faster charging, USB-C). Now the question is how to improve the X2, obviously the heat is causing it to throttle, so I am curious if 'undervolting' would improve performance?

kvoram likes this.