HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

1. CJackson.LASD

CJackson.LASD Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have issues with the X2 wifi? Fan issue?

I am reading some reviews complaining of slow wifi download speeds and the fans running a lot and overheating issues.

2. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think these are too bad. They seem to be inline with at least one report on the new Surface Pro. Looks like the nSP is shipping with either a Samsung or Toshiba SSD. These are inline with the Toshiba SSD. As expected, the Samsung is much faster. Overall though, not too bad. I think the reads are respectable, but the writes could definitely be faster.

3. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

As mentioned above, definitely depends on what you want / what is your priority. Th X360 is a good machine as well (might also want to look at the Elitebook x360). If you plan on using the machine mostly as a laptop the majority of the time and a convertible / 2-in-1 the minority, then I would go for the X360 or the Elitebook X360. However, if you want more of a tablet, want something that is ultraportable and plan to use the pen frequently, then I would go more for the X2 or the Surface Pro. I personally have been looking at all the same machines as you but also with the Elitebook X360 in the mix. I am personally leaning toward the X2 as first preference with nSP second. I really like the nSP but it appears it's already going through issues, similar to SP4 when it first launched. Great machine, but their quality control definitely is not up to par with Apples. Not that Apple hasn't had it's share of problems but I would have thought Microsoft would have learned from the bad SP4 launch. If you decide nSP, I would definitely give it a few months before picking one up. I have yet to put my hands on an X2 but this is the front runner for me; particularly since it appears to provide similar performance at much lower price than the nSP.

4. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Not a factor here. In fact DDR3L is slightly faster than DDR4 in most cases. RAM never affects scores more than a % or 2 anyway

5. CJackson.LASD

Yes I like the pen for editing drone and family home videos with Adobe Premiere Elements 15. I have a SP3 but too sluggish on video editing with M3 processor. I want the nSP but I refuse to pay an extra $500 for it. I take my laptop in my backpack everywhere so gonna pick up the X2 next week when in stock at my local Best Buy. Don't do gaming on PC, prefer PS4, but I think I will pick up the final Starcraft expansion i am dying to play for the X2.

Question: does anyone know if the X2 is roughly the same size as SP4? Like having cases on computer and thinking if just getting a soft slide in case for SP4 off Amazon for the X2.

6. CJackson.LASD

Last question: how are the speakers?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
  7. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

X2 is slightly bigger all around:

X2: Size: 11.57" (L) x 0.52" (H) x 8.15" (D) (tablet)
    Surface: 11.5” x 0.33” x 7.9”

8. Downwind

Downwind Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't heard the fans ever. Sometimes I notice they're on because I can feel the air flow.

I have the core i7 model and it's scary fast. No overheating.

I had the new Surface Pro for a few days and it got really hot. I returned it because of light bleed. I returned 3 of them actually. I had i5's and they weren't nearly as fast.

9. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've spent time with the i7 models of the new surface pro, X2 and x360 4k. I've found the surface to have the most quiet and cool performance by far. The 360s fans were always running. The X2 was much better but when the fans come on it is very audible. The surface generally feels cool and the fan almost never comes on. When it does come on, it's shockingly quiet.

My very imprecise test is using remote play PlayStation 4 streaming. After 10 minutes, the 360 is very hot and the fans are blowing at full speed. The X2 isn't as hot but the fans are going and it's very noticeable in a quiet room. With the surface, the fan hasn't come on yet 10 minutes in. When it did finally come on after 30 minutes, I had to hold the tablet next to my ear to hear it.

What I can't tell from my imprecise test is whether there is any throttling accounting for the surface's quiet and cool performance. I haven't noticed any noticeable impacts on my use.

Having an internal debate as to whether the surface's better battery and quiet and cool performance are worth the extra money. Really like it and the X2.

kvoram likes this.
  10. CJackson.LASD

As you stated I am very curious how much throttling is involved in the nSP vs X2. Can't wait to see them both benchmarked together to compare.

I just ordered the X2 and it arrives next Tuesday from Best Buy (i7, 8gb, 356gb). Hopefully it has no hiccups running Premiere Elements. I loved the 360 15", but it's just too big to haul around everyday in your backpack. I also just ordered a SP4 case off Amazon, so I'll report back on how it feels.