HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

1. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

2. MacrosTheBlack007

test results were taken with the Spectre x2 straight out of the box.

3. MacrosTheBlack007

and the HP keyboard cover destroys the Microsoft type cover. It's not even close.

4. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

So I tried it. The form factor is beautiful. The machine is clearly well built. Felt no flex in the body. The screen is very nice. The keyboard is also terrific. It definitely surpasses the Surface type cover as far as I'm concerned. Performance wise, the one thing I'd note is that the fan didn't stop blowing the entire time I used it, including after the various windows updates were completed.

Perhaps it will settle in over time, but I won't find out. I'm not keeping it. For my needs, the new x360 is a better fit. The screen on the 4k model is flat out gorgeous and still presents sufficient battery length for my daily use. It's also not much larger than the X2, but the extra screen room with the 16:9 aspect ratio is perfect for me because I use this predominately for media consumption

For anyone who wants a detachable, I think the X2 could be a really nice device. I worry about the fan noise. If that's something that bothers you, this may not be the device for you -- at least not the i7 version.

5. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

In what ways? Is it just the solid surface vs. "70's shag carpet in the roof of your car" feel of the nSP? Or is there more to it. I haven't gotten my nSP yet, but the SP4 keyboard I found to be pretty solid. In comparison, the Galaxy Book keyboard I thought was terrible.

My biggest challenge with the x2 to get over is that gold kickstand... not loving that.

6. MacrosTheBlack007

There's almost no flex in the keyboard. Every time I use a type cover, my hands feel like they're in a bounce house. The keys themselves are very quiet and have a nice travel to them. The trackpad is huge and so far has worked without any issues. It has been fast and responsive.

The gold kickstand, while an odd color choice, blends in well with the overall dark gray color scheme.

7. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll have to swing by Best Buy and check it out after I get a chance to try my nSP. I think if I decided to go that route I'd have to spray paint that kick stand. I just don't like shiny gold.

MacrosTheBlack007 likes this.
  8. MacrosTheBlack007

The fan hasn't been too bad for me so far. I just downloaded multiple files at once including a 16gb game demo and the fans haven't come on yet.

I'll have to try downloading and watching a movie to see how distracting or not the fans get.

9. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well that's good news. Maybe mine had some background processes that were causing problems. I only had Edge running and I couldn't get the fan to shut off.

I will say that the device is beautiful. My first impressions when I opened the tablet and the keyboard were wow. First class craftsmanship. I'm curious as to how the battery will perform in the real world, and whether my fan issue was isolated. I've already reset and repackaged the device, but maybe I'll crack it back open and give it one more shot. I have 15 days to return it after all.

10. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have my eye on this and awaiting availability in my Best Buy. Can you guys test out / comment on battery life.