HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

1. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Omazic.iv!

I especially worry if 8 gigs will be enough for the years to come. Will I notice the difference from an i7 in my Mac now?

Also, it's a consumer product - will it last? Will the battery last?

2. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

You should probably post this in the "which tablet should I buy?" forum, because you will get a LOT of differing views; and this thread is about one of the devices you listed.. the x2.

The first thing you need to decide is if you want a detachable keyboard like the ones you listed, or a 360 degree hinge. The big difference is the detachable keyboard devices are 12" and much lighter when the keyboard is off and using as a tablet, and the 360 degrees are more like a laptop and are heavier when using as a tablet (and have the keyboard on the back).

I looked at the x2, nSP, Galaxy Book, and Acer Switch. I ended up with the nSP and am delighted with it.

My use case is that I'm in consulting, and so I spend time working docked in my home office; or in meetings at client sites; or traveling in a plane, coffee shop, etc.. I use office tools, browser, email, and MS Project. My "other" is I'm also a photographer and have about 75,000 images in Lightroom. I've been using Macs for many years, but switched back to Windows at work when I changed jobs a few years back. I wanted to converge everything into one device, and I didn't want to carry a separate tablet and laptop for long travel.

I will also say that part of my requirements was to have something that helped portray the consulting image I wanted in front of clients, so that kind of pushed me away from things like Acer and Samsung. The nSP I think portrays a great professional image.

I was at a client and a conference last week, and spent several days nearly all day doing interviews and taking notes in OneNote by pen. I was getting about 8-9 hours of work time on a charge. I put it through its paces quite a bit and got a lot of admiration from colleagues on the quality of the display, and the overall package. I guy that works for me who was traveling with his Dell company laptop, an iPad, and a personal Macbook, confessed to me upon return that he is drooling about the Surface Pro and had he not just bought the Macbook, he'd be buying one.

Things I like - the pen experience is wonderful and feels like using a fine gel marker, but better because of all you can do with colors, erasing, etc.. battery life is great.. no fan so totally silent... keyboard and trackpad are both very good. I also have the dock that I use in my home office to drive a 4K display and then have the nSP tilted in note taking mode as a dedicated OneNote notebook on my desk.

I played around with the HP x2 a bit in Best Buy and the Galaxy Book at Verizon. The x2 is a great value, but the battery life isn't great, has a fan that some have said can get loud, didn't care for keyboard, and finally cosmetically the shiny gold kickstand isn't the image I want as a consultant. The Samsung doesn't have a kickstand at all so has a strange keyboard cover, and it looks very similar to an iPad which I was not particularly interested in. Otherwise its pretty good and has a gerat display. I just liked the total experience of the nSP better.

artistebot and Omazic.iv like this.
  3. Downwind

Downwind Pen Pal - Newbie

4. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

5. Downwind

I can see I'm way behind on this issue. Thanks for the link. I probably won't post there because I have a Spectre X2, not a nSP. I would have happily kept the nSP if I could have found one with a decent screen. I wonder what Microsoft is going to do about this issue.

6. convergent

No, I don't have any light bleed that I've observed using the standard methods. I've had a few people argue with me about it, but I can only report what I observe. I've had a lot of systems over the years and this is the best mobile display I've had.

7. Downwind

Cool. You must be one of the lucky ones. Enjoy it!

8. Omazic.iv

Now you are thinking: oh boy, not this dude again! Right? So first off topic: if you are in Switzerland let me know I will take you for some lunch, and bring you some chocolate and cheese! Or if you are in Croatia over summer we can have some nice domestic BBQ... just let me know

On topic: cosmetically the shiny gold kickstand is catching eyes during my meetings, and especially from female side of population (I hope my wife does not read this), darker body of device is going very well with dark grey or black suites. And last thing as a independent consultant you BYOD, and HPSX2 it is not some gaming (razer, or others) Las Vegas lighting looking device, so to conclude I don't have any problem at all with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. convergent

Glad you are happy with it... that's what its all about.

On the kickstand, I'm not usually trying to catch eyes during meetings! It may be a cultural thing too... in the US, at least to me, shiny gold isn't something you associate with business meetings or technology professionals.

10. Omazic.iv

I am not trying to catch eyes as well, but as a independant consultant who bring its own unit to get work done I don't care, my tool, my money. On the other hand I don't have a problem if client is offended with this unit or something like that, to use their device during project/contract, anyway that did not happened, if it does will post it here.

For the shiny gold and its association part, so tell me for who do you think that HP built this device then? (I mean except me, and couple more people here who have it) you think company will not buy it for their teams at all because of gold kickstand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk