HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

1. Downwind

Downwind Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't get blinded by benchmarks. In normal use the Spectre X2 is a pleasure to use. In two weeks mine never overheats. I don't hear the fan. It's by far the fastest computer I've ever had. With my normal usage the Spectre X2 core i7 is faster than the core i5 Surface Pro (2017) that I tried for a few days.

The Surface Pro had a better battery but a screen with significant light bleed. The Spectre would be perfect if I could find a battery backup that wasn't an AC unit.

2. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

The i7 is faster than the i5? That would be expected, right, or am I missing something?

3. Downwind

I would assume so. I didn't use the i5 Spectre, just the Surface Pro. I was reacting to some of the previous posts that made the Spectre sound like some sort of lame POS. It's a great machine. I'm typing this on mine right now. I've been using it all morning in a coffee shop and it's still cool to the touch.

4. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I've not seen anyone suggest the x2 is a "lame POS". I have not used one other than in the store, but seems to me it's just less refined than the nSP, which is purely opinion. It's cheaper though so the buyer needs to decide their priorities. I didn't care for the keyboard on it, understand battery life is less, and thought the pen wasn't as good. But the crazy thing is I really didn't care for the he cosmetics... that gold and black look, especially the gold kickstand turned me off.

But if you like it, doesn't matter what other people think. Lots of people don't look me the nSP either.

5. sem189189

sem189189 Pen Pal - Newbie

MobileTechReview information in video NSP i7 and gains in 3D mark skydiver 5683 , NSP i5 4060 . and the Ghost and7 4589 . according to users, results in an average SP 4 and7 5339 .. I can't understand why such a difference and such a fall , because of the trolling ? that is, there is no reason to buy the i7 version with a Spectre? the difference between a Spectre i7 and i5 in the end, no ? is there a test version of the Spectreof the i5 ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. Downwind

I agree about the kickstand. I'm thinking about painting it black.

How's the screen on your nSP? Any light bleed?

7. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

According to the recent article / review from WindowCentral, HP does not use the same CPUs as in the surface. They seem to be one step down, which seems to account for the difference in performance. https://www.windowscentral.com/hp-spectre-x2-review

8. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Will also note, that the WC review seems to be a bit more favorable vs other sites. While they do highlight some of the same issues, they do say that the fans noise is on par with that of the nSP i7. This contradicts some other sites as well as what some folks posted here. Hmm.

On side note, curious if this is still might be a "soft launch" by HP and possibility of them still tweaking the unit. This seems to only be available direct and via Best Buy. Additionally of the BB near me, over 25 in a 30 mile radiius, only 2 actually have it. It's been a few weeks now since this launched so curious on the limited stock on this.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  9. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks goodness I found this thread. I'm looking to replace my 5 year old Macbook and just can't make up my mind.

I was really waiting for the new Surface Pro, but then I saw this one and thought... that looks like more bang for my buck. But then I called my account manager (at the business I tend to get my hardware) and said... consider the x360 or wait for the Elite x2 that's released later this year.

So here's my use case and I'd love to hear your recommendations.

I'm a marketing consultant, which means I spend both time at home working, in offices with clients and also tend to set up shop in a cafe or somesuch. I'm pretty mobile, but I do usually work longer stretches of time in the same place.

I also tend to take a lot of notes. I barely ever review them, but writing helps me process information. Hence I'm considering a 2-in-1 convertible.

When I bought my Macbook Pro back in 2012, I went with the 13" i7/8Gigs/128SSD variant. I'm not an Apple guy at all, but it was a huge step up from previous Windows machines at the time, in terms of reliability, stability and just working.

So now I'm 5 years ahead and it still runs really well, BUT... it's been worn down, it's actually pretty heavy, the screen res is really low (1280x800... that was low in 2012!)... actually that's it, great machine.

What do I do on it? Honestly, nothing special. I tend to work in several browsers at once (FF, Chrome, etc), with lots of tabs. I also tend to use a dedicated email client (Airmail on Mac, Mailbird on Windows). Then there's Spotify, WhatsApp web, Calendar, etc, etc.

Most of my work is spent in my browsers using cloud-based marketing tools and CRM systems, writing documents in Google or Word. I do occasionally game on it, but since it's older and never made for gaming to begin with, it's limited to my GOG version of Fallout 2 (but to be fair I could run something like Pillars of Eternity on it).

I would love to get something that's stylish, mobile, ensures I can replace my paper notepad, is DURABLE and comfortable to use for longer stretches of time.

Will any of these machines last me another 5 years, or is that just unrealistic? I mean not just in the durability of the chassis, but also the amount of RAM and the processor speed.

Btw, about battery life: I would love a good battery, but to be really honest that's a gut feeling. I'm usually close to a power socket and my Macbook doesn't last more than a morning anyway. But it feels weird buying a very mobile device without a powerful battery.

So, what would you recommend?

nSP?
    Spectre x2?
    Elite x2?

GO!

Omazic.iv likes this.
  10. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello there!

I was making same decision from April until 2 weeks ago.
    My list of devices was: nSP, Spectre x2, Acer Switch 5, Asus T304UA... HP Spectre x2 and Acer Switch 5 went to last round and I ordered HP as it was earlier available.

I am using it for Remote desktop / team-viewer / RDP, ms office (word, excel, onenote, outlook), from time to time 1-2 virtual machines and thats it... my 4 years old daughter use it for drawing when ever she can put her hands on device...

To be honest I was amazed by new nSP battery life, not only from what Microsoft claim, but from tests of other users, infos on forums etc... I think that with it you will get best battery life. What shocked me was price and fact that now you need to pay for pen as well... so when I put on paper nSP i5/8gb/256gb + pen + keyboard + dock

Asus T304UA was same battery like last year model so about 4-5 hours and they moved TB3 port... LOL

Acer is coming with keyboard, pen is not expensive less then half price comparing to Microsoft one, yeah it is not that sensitive snd so on, but that depends how much you will use it,right... one more plus is that it is cheapest device!

HP Spectre x2 was packed with: charger, usb-c to usb-a adapter, leather bag, keyboard and pen... I am really happy with device, it does meet my needs, ssd is 256gb super fast, cpu i5, 8gb of ram, I put inside as well 128gb micro sd, battery life is fine, will make soon small review with all infos and pictures. All in all I am more than happy! I bought from aliexpress usb-c 7to1 adapter all working perfectly as well.

Hope this helps, and please ask if you need some more detailed explanation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk