HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

1. Downwind

Downwind Pen Pal - Newbie

"While it is true that HP locked down USB-C charging on some, not all, of their models in the past, they have also released BIOS updates for some of these to fix that. I doubt that they would still put those restrictions on new devices."

I tried every USB-C charger I have. And I have a lot of them. At least half a dozen. Nothing worked. Not battery. Not AC. The only way I could charge in the wild is with an AC battery bank through the stock HP charger. I hope you're right about a future update to fix this nonsense.

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is interesting. There are so many variables with USB-C that a specific charger and a specific device may not work together even if they both are doing everything right.
    The updates I mentioned happened over the last months, so it seems odd that they would fix their mistake on older devices while doing it agai´n on newer devices. Also, @CJackson.LASD mentioned that he got his power bank to charge the Spectre x2.

Can you confirm that any of your chargers definitely support the USB-Power Delivery 2.0/3.0 protocol AND the same output voltage as the Spectre x2 charger? If so, I would be interested to know the charger model and also the Spectre's charger output voltage.

3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

AFAIK, every laptop/tablet with Thunderbolt 3 integrates the controller directly onto the mainboard or a regular separate i/o board but never specifically an extra board for TB3.

Intel's Alpine Ridge TB3 controller does double-duty as the USB host controller. So the TB3 chip replaces a regular USB host controller like the popular ASMedia ASM1142 on the mainboard instead of being an add-on. Intel's TB3 controller has a footprint of ~11x11 mm, which is a few mm more than the ASM1142.
    In additon to the slightly bigger but still small footprint, for a "fully featured" TB3 port the pcb layout also needs to be designed to support x4 PCIe lanes etc. But it is still not much of a "big" space requirement.

Overall, the physical space requirement is really not much of an issue if it is integrated from the start of the development and it does not take space away from the battery or other components. As an example, the Spectre x2's twin, the Elite x2 1012 G2 compared to the previous G1 switches to U-class CPUs, adds a fan and increases the battery from 40Wh to 47Wh all while keeping Thunberbolt 3 integrated in the same chassis.

IMHO, it is much more a decision by the manufacturer whether they "want" TB3 in a specific device as a feature. For HP it has probably more to do with product differentiation and marketing and of course saving a few bucks. With the Spectre x2, the Pro x2 and the Elite x2 they have three devices with the same form factor aimed at different markets. I guess TB3 being only on the pricier business-aimed Elite x2 helps HP to differentiate it from the cheaper consumer-aimed Spectre x2, even though integrating TB3 really doesn't cost much. Corporate greed always wins over customer satisfaction... :(

4. CJackson.LASD

CJackson.LASD Pen Pal - Newbie

Re Power Bank Charging . . . Yes my Anker Smart Sense Charger did work, but not sure about all brands. Baker detects the requested power level and matches so I am sure that helps.

Been using my new Surface Pro now for 2 days. I definitely notice that it's cooler to the touch and runs much faster. For example I played Star craft 2 Into the Void on both; HP averaged 25-35 fps, nSP averaged 35-45 fps. The only negative on the nSP is it's highly over priced and they still habe not fixed the backlight bleed issue, but I barely notice it during normal use.

5. Downwind

You are asking questions that are way over my skill level. I tried the couple of USB-C chargers I have for my Nexus 5X as well as my existing power banks. I tried every cable I have. I've found that cables make a huge difference with USB-C charging. Nada.

Then I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nada. Sent it back and got a RavPowwer AC bank that works with the stock HP charger.

6. Downwind

Which model charger did you find worked? I can still send back the overpriced RavPower AC unit I got.

The light bleed is what soured me on the Surface Pro. I went through 3 of them and gave up.

For what it's worth I find the Spectre runs much cooler than any of the Surface Pros I tried. They were i5s so maybe that's the difference.

7. TonyLaw17

TonyLaw17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Was the light bleed evident on the new Surface Pro or are you referring to the previous models?

8. CJackson.LASD

CJackson.LASD Pen Pal - Newbie

Power Bank I have is the Anker Powercore+ 26800. Every reviewer says it's the only brand you should buy.

The light bleed is evident in edges only if I look for it. But I only notice it if I look for it. Once again I am a always been a sort of power user and since the nSP is so much faster is the reason I took it. The nSP Turbo is set to 25W with total package temps at 72f averave, while the X2 is only set to 15W and the X2 gets total package temps averaged at 80f. That showed me how bad the X2 was at heat management. That's why the X2 scores so low on all 3d benchmarks, because when the GPU is utilized it gets too hot and has to massively throttle down.

Also I had playing games for 10 mins the X2 CPU cores slowed all the way down to .80 the, while the nSP stayed at 2.5ghz+.

9. Downwind

The new Surface Pro. I already have a Surface 3, which I adore. It has none of the light bleed issues that I found on all the new Surface Pros I tried.

10. sem189189

sem189189 Pen Pal - Newbie

then it turns out that the surface 4 Pro with i7 and the GPU 540 is even more powerful than the new Spectre x2 with GPU 640 ? in terms of games