HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJackson.LASD

CJackson.LASD Pen Pal - Newbie

No can't be done. They are completely different styles of cpu and in a notebook you can not overclock because of BIOS restrictions and thermal/power throttling will kick in before you get anywhere near the i7 levels.

2. CJackson.LASD

Sorry guys even though I hate Microsoft for overcharging further products Tama I returned to my X2 today for the surface pro. I absolutely love the look and the feel in the keyboard in the screen is better in my opinion on the X2. However the heat management is so horrible that if you're gonna do some highly graphics intensive work your laptop will become incredibly hot and it is too hot in my opinion compare to the X2. I stated earlier because of the high heat the throttling becomes very severe and slows down the computer drastically. HP is on the right path to destroying the surface however they still need some work on their hardware design.

kvoram likes this.
  3. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Played around with this at my Local Best Buy, really like the design and weight of this. Had a few questions if anyone could help:

1. Is the battery life between i5 and i7 noticeably different?
    2. I have a Miix 700 and typically get around 5-6 hours, would this be any better? This would be a secondary labtop and mainly for travel, I have an HP Spectre X350 15 2017 as my main computer
    3. Do powerbanks work on the HP Spectre X2? Heard HP didnt place nice with these before

4. CJackson.LASD

For #3, my Anton power bank did work with x2, gave me about an extra hour of charge. I only drained the battery one day, and killed the battery in about 6.5 hours doing heavy web usage.

5. Downwind

Downwind Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been getting about 6 hours on my i7. HP locks their chargers so you must use one of their units. I got myself a RavPower AC powerbank for emergencies. It kinda kills the notion of a light tablet if you have to lug around a big battery and the HP power brick.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could you post a link to your power bank or mention the specs? I am always curious about USB-C charging and would like to know if that is a regular non-USB-PD power bank tnhat worked with the Spectre x2.

While it is true that HP locked down USB-C charging on some, not all, of their models in the past, they have also released BIOS updates for some of these to fix that. I doubt that they would still put those restrictions on new devices.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  7. sem189189

sem189189 Pen Pal - Newbie

and someone asked the creators why they have abandoned thunderbolt 3 ? I still can't understand

8. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

After a couple of cycles and fixing some settings I get 6 hours on the i5 but that's just office work, wifi etc.

Were all speaking broad terms here but if by heavy we mean high constant CPU usage, I genuinely question those results.

9. TonyLaw17

TonyLaw17 Pen Pal - Newbie

How do you like the Surface Pro 2017 compared to the x2 so far?

10. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Thunderbolt 3 typically requires more space (a daughter card), and there's simply no room in devices as small as the x2 and Surface Pro. The only thing they could do is drastically cut into battery capacity and I don't think most folks would prefer that.