HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJackson.LASD

CJackson.LASD Pen Pal - Newbie

The differences are because of BIOS throttling. Microsoft has perfected their hear management system and as a result they allow up to 25w turbo utilization from the stock 15w. The X2 only allows up to 18.75w from 15w. Even better the nSP BIOS doesn't block ocervolting of its turbo allowing a nice increase in gpu speeds. However I see a BIOS update soon to prevent that.

For my X2 I now undervolt by 110mvt and it runs about 6 degrees C cooler. I'm sure there will be BIOS mods soon to allow the overthrotteling but then again this is not a gaming PC so I personally don't care, I use this for its portability, ease of use in bed and where ever you go, and editing home videos on Premiere Elements 15.

2. CJackson.LASD

I'll look into it. Curious what changes to BIOS they did? Hopefully it helps with voltage and heat management.

3. TonyLaw17

TonyLaw17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info. What impact does undervolting have on your x2? I mean, does the fan not come on as much? If you don't mind, can you please explain how to undervolt the x2?

4. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, if you have the device on hand, could you find the make and model number of the display? I cant find it anywhere.

Thanks, greatly appreciated

5. CJackson.LASD

To undervolt is easy, you utilize the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility that is free off Intel. You lower your core voltage by 10mvt at a time then stress test, then keep loweringthe voltage and stop before failure. Many people do it to ultrabook to lower temps. There are many YouTube videos on it. By lowering the temp you delay the time the cpu has to trottle that actually increases the performance by your cpu running at full speed for longer time periods.

TonyLaw17 likes this.
  6. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you see any changes / improvements in battery life as well? What's your experience with that? Seems the general consensus is about 5-6 hrs. You doing better or worse?

7. CJackson.LASD

To be honest I usually leave it plugged in when doing extensive work. But am sure it would easily last 6+ hours doing straight YouTube watching for example. I personally am fine with the battery and not at all concerned. Once again, for me saving $450 to $500, over the nSP is worth a 5% drop in performance and 10% battery loss.

Good side note, PCWorld.com just did a review on the x360 and they stated that Microsoft completely embellish their battery life, with brightness at minimum and no wifi, while HP is more accurate with their tests at 40% brightness and wifi turned on. Many of the nSP reviews show a battery average of only 8 hours as well.

8. TonyLaw17

TonyLaw17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you again for the information! I'm going to check out that the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. By undervolting, does it also reduce the fan starting?

9. sem189189

sem189189 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello I was interested in the question of selection of the CPU . the difference between them is not very large as I understand it in terms of performance ? the version with the i7 is worth 60 dollars more . it is not much more frequency . the difference is that it's not to much overclocked the CPU frequency ? it is also possible to use different programs to do the overclocking version of the i5 to the i7 level ?

10. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally got to see this in person today. Definitely nice and quality build. However it did feel a bit larger than the Surface, particularly when holding the display in portrait mode. I know that it's only slightly larger but just larger than it actually is. Keyboard was great and sturdy. Does not flex like the surface keyboard. Did not like the pen though. The feel was weird. I did like the new Bamboo pen but unfortunately was not able to try it on the X2. There was a Bamboo pen tied to just about every 2:1 except the HP machines. The X2 was surrounded by other HP machines so I could not stretch the Bamboo pen over far enough to reach the X2. THe Bamboo pen felt MUCH better than the HP pen. Beyond this, it definitely is a nice machine. However I think I need to spend some more time with it before deciding. Did not get to spend too much time as the store was crowded today. I also ended up driving 20+ miles to see this as my local BB don't have them in stock as of yet. Going to wait for some more reviews and ability to play with it for a longer period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.