HP Spectre x2 (2017): 12.3" 3000x2000, Kaby-Lake-U+Iris Plus

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kvoram, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Both the new Surface Pen and the Wacom Bamboo Ink Pen work with it, and have lower initial activation force thresholds.

TonyLaw17 and Kinstar like this.
  2. Kinstar

Kinstar Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Lisa! :)

I think overall I am just dissatisfied by how hot this device runs. The fan is usually always on. If you can't hear it then you can almost always feel it. The CPU problem did not really fix itself and it is always somewhat overclocked and overheating doing normal productivity tasks.

3. Cbb777

Cbb777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Lisa, any chance you're going to do a review of this unit? Love your reviews. Like to see your thoughts on this unit as well as head to head with the nSP.

4. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

How's everyone going with battery life?

When WIFI is on @ 40% screen brightness barely get more than 5 hours with this for basic office work. Streaming video from youtube, 40% brightness, 4.5 hours.

Power saving plan, wifi and graphics configured to maximise battery.

5. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, it will be live tomorrow on our YouTube channel. We filmed it today, but the video editor collapsed in exhaustion at 7pm LOL. Slave driver, me ;)

kvoram and Kinstar like this.
  6. Kinstar

Kinstar Pen Pal - Newbie

Just noticed a corner of the tablet is missing oleophobic coating. Great quality control HP. :):):)

7. Kinstar

Kinstar Pen Pal - Newbie

I am getting about 5 hours without battery saver. There might be something wrong with your battery? :/

8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Folks, thanks a lot for your initial impressions.

I have to say, I am slightly disappointed about the varying reports about fan noise. In general, given the unusual dual-fan setup and Iris graphics, I had hoped for it to be either a performance champ or that they used the fans in an intelligent way to keep the device both cool and silent.
    Ths concerns me in regards to the Spectre's upcoming sibling, the Elite x2 1012 G2. That one doesn't have Iris graphics but only a
    single fan. I hope it doesn't run as hot/noisy.

Spec-wise I prefer the Elite because of the bigger battery (47 vs. 41.6 Wh), the USB-A port, Thunderbolt 3, LTE option and easier serviceability/ SSD upgradeability. Though being the business-aimed version it is going to be much pricier. Let's see how that one turns out.

9. Kinstar

Kinstar Pen Pal - Newbie

I went ahead and returned my device. Although I really liked the way it looked, there were just too many issues with it (I think I had a defective device and I hope no one else is or will face these issues).

The issues I faced were:
    1. Overheating/ fan almost always on even when I am doing nothing.
    2. Fan noise too loud
    3. Touch screen would stop working sometimes.
    4. Corner of my screen missing oleophobic coating.

I really liked the device otherwise and I wish I could have kept it. :(

10. CJackson.LASD

CJackson.LASD Pen Pal - Newbie

Personally I enjoy the X2. I find performance wise it is right between the nSP and SP4. After messing with the Intel Extreme Utility and Throttlestop I find what limits the power is the power limiting throttle. I was able to limit the throttling and got scores very close to the nap. Personally I find no reason to overclock or undervolt the X2, because it's not a gaming pc. I do notice the fan noise at times, nuts not easily noticible and it only last for a few seconds at a time. Ifind the pros greatly outweigh the cons, and at a $450 cut in price, it's definitely superior the the 2017 Surface Pro.

TonyLaw17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.