HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I'm often multi-tasking on my laptop, etc. So a bigger screen has value for comfortably putting windows side by side and quickly switching between windows. Anything longer than perhaps a 1/2 hour on a tiny device is longer than I prefer. When I do design work with clients, a bigger screen is also very valuable-- I can share ideas and draw on the screen, and we share the real estate. I also vastly prefer a dedicated keyboard when typing on my lap or in my truck- again, because of the mobile nature of my work. There are a host of reasons to have a bigger screen and attached keyboard, for my mobile, keyboard heavy use case.

Of course, what's also fascinating is how much I use my iPhone SE to do work on the fly, in my truck, etc. But I type very little and do little real multi-tasking on my phone, and instead use voice dictation for small emails, Dropbox for assessing documents and bids typed on my laptop, making an appointment on my calendar app, dropping a todo into OneNote, etc. Those sorts of things are perfect on a hand held tiny device. I actually think a laptop is a bit of overkill sometimes for those things.

But for drawing or typing or multi-tasking, a 10" device hasn't really been big enough for me. Also, I use my laptop as my primary personal multi-media device, so a big screen is nice for that too.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Just to be clear what the LTSB is intended for from an Enterprise Usage - it designed for devices that typically used for control systems such as SCADA Machines used in public service scenarios (waste water management, water flow systems), manufacturing or healthcare devices. It is not intended to be used by end-users.

Eltos likes this.
  3. Billy Cantor

Billy Cantor Pen Pal - Newbie

dstrauss and others with the 4K model:

What kind of actual battery life are you getting from the Spectre Folio with the 4K UHD display?

At least 8-9 hours on average, or more like 5-6?

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry - never got it - "stolen" at the Memphis FedEx hub and did not reorder from HP.

5. Billy Cantor

P.S.

For those looking for a battery runtime comparison fo the 1 watt and 2 watt panels, Digital Trends did a side-by-side comparison.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-low-power-display-technology/

TL;DR:
    - The machines were identical except that the 1 watt device had 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB of RAM.
    - The 1W display looked just as good as the 2W display
    - Even at full brightness, the 1W display consumes <= 1.6W (so it's always lower-power than the 2W display)
    - The 1W display got about 13% better battery life in a video loop test (about 2 hours more runtime)

I wish they'd have tested the 4K UHD panel as well. Has anyone measured runtime yet with one of those?

6. Billy Cantor

I also noticed, in videos I watched online of unboxings of the Folio, that all of the 1.5 GHz machines are reporting "1.5 GHz process. 1.6 GHz."
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8500y-processor-4m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

I assume that means that HP has raised the TDP on the 1.5 GHz machines to 7W (allowed by the Intel processor), to put its base speed on par with the MacBook Air's 1.6 GHz i7-####Y chip.

That also means that the 1.5 (1.6?) GHz machine may be getting less battery runtime than the 1.3 GHz option. Usually I go for faster chips within the same TDP because sometimes they can basically get their work done quicker and use less power overall. But in this case if the processor is using up to 40% more power to run at that speed then I would need to see more data to find out if we're saving energy or using more. My first instinct is that we're using more.

The Core-i5 Y option with the 1W display and Wi-Fi (no LTE) may be the ultimate battery-saver option on this machine.

7. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

HP when they list the battery run times of the EB 1030 and 1040 x360 models of this generation show a decent drop in battery run time for the 4K option over the FHD. I believe they are around 7 to 8 hours less for the 4K panel than the FHD models.

8. Billy Cantor

Are the Best Buy units still coming with the 2W 1080p panels (instead of the 1W panels the customized hp.com units seem to be coming with)?

HP just increased the price of the customized Spectre Folio 13 by $50+, so the same unit is basically $100 less at Best Buy (with no restocking fee that I can see, vs. 15% at HP). If it's the same machine I'd rather go with Best Buy, get it faster, and save the $100. But if the Best Buy units have the lower-nit 2W display I'll wait the extra week, pay the extra $100 and risk the 15% restocking fee.