HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Don’t hold back Dale :D

dstrauss likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

In fairness to all Windows/MS ranters, I feel that those like @dstrauss, who depend upon these tools for professional livelihood and even reputation - a system fail can delay time-critical work product - have earned the greatest rights to rant, er, vent on these screens and needn’t feel relegated to the crumudgens’ dungeon to get it out of his system ! Besides, reading his rants is half the fun - who wants to go hunting in sub-forums to find the juicy stuff? Rant on, esteemed colleague. :newpalm::hi:

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Don't ask me to really speak my mind, it's not a pretty picture up there...

[​IMG]

5. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I had been following your travels through tablet-land fairly closely. I got busy with other stuff and am curious where you have ended up when I wasn't looking.

This post says that you were going back to "GB 12 Heavy", but your signature says "GB 12 Lite"? And you seem to be posting quite a bit in the SGo thread. So what have you decided on (for now ;) ?

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Sorry for my mistake - I retreated to the GB12 Lite (then), which is where I am back again tonight. Have been trying the Surface Go LTE, and I can see where people could make it their one and only, but I can't get over my "MORE POWER" darkside. Chrome bogs down for me with too many (10-12) tabs open; iTunes us completely unusable; but worst of all was my limitation - 10" is just too small for full time use, and I use it a lot on the road. That has proven to me that I am headed for a two device future, because a real tablet size device can't give me the

So I'm still waiting on the HP Elite X2 1013. The form factor looks to be about the same as the Surface Book 13.5" clipboard, but with the bail kickstand that it really needs. That will be adequate screen real estate for lengthy heavy duty portable sessions. So the search begins anew for a small format note taker - iPad Mini 5?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Two devices. Yes. 100%.

For me, as I don’t work at a desk where I can plug into a larger monitor and keyboard the way Bronsky describes, there is no ergonomic answer that is a single pen device. Sometimes I need to take notes mobilely, standing up, and sometimes I need to write or draw on a big screen with a client or while designing, and then use a keyboard. It’s just the basics of my use case.

Nothing beats writing on a light thin small tablet while walking around. And you can’t get real work done for very long on a tiny display. Or atleast I can’t.

I am more and more pushing to actually separate the two devices more and more. I would love a 15” yoga laptop and an 8” tablet. That would be perfect. Each is more specialized.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. dstrauss

Thanks Steve, good observations and even better advice. I've learned in the last three weeks that I can't do "real" work (at least not for long) on a 10" screen. I think the 13" size will work away from the desk and dock, but it is still a bit of a pain to haul to meetings. etc. I've even been reading up on the LG Gram 17.2" - if it were a touch screen I'd give it a try. I don't need pen support at that size, but I am so used to selecting items and scrolling on the touch screen of my laptop I'm not sure I could do without (if I could, I might be more interested in a MacBook Pro).

"The fly in the buttermilk, however, there is no 8" note taking device..." (apologies to General Houston in The Alamo).

PS - I'd go up to $699 for an iPad Mini Pro with 128gb and Pencil 2 support!

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

How do you guys define "long time"?

I've been doing three hour sessions, more or less writing non stop, on my Surface Go without problems. I seldom go longer on my desk setup (three external screens to a Surface Pro 3). It isn't the screen size so much as a pause and reset for my molasses brain.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

10. dstrauss

It's as much a function of "old eyes" as physical space - maybe 50/50 - but I want to be able to look at that screen comfortably for those 2-3 hour sessions myself.

Right now I am hanging my hopes on the iPad Mini 5 having Pencil 1 support. It will give me the 8" moleskin I need plus access to my Apple ecosystem - while the HP hauls the big stuff.