HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't have a problem with tinkering around with stuff like this for your own fun,but I have large concerns and or objections.

1. It is simply not accurate to say that under-volting a CPU is always safe. It's true that modern CPUS have much more headroom positively and negatively than earlier generations, BUT, Intel and the manufacturers spend a great deal of time trying to figure out the ideal voltage/clock speed etc. Variations from those rated speeds most certainly will cause stability issues e.g. the CPU may be fine but other support chips such as cache, , wiFi etc. may not.

2. I'm in complete agreement with @dstrauss, that nearly 40 years in to the PC era that this is even considered an option that needs/should be done by a mainstream user is absurd.

3. Even if all of the above was ok, you also then will get in forever "Mr. Fixit" mode as each windows or driver update, or for that matter even as the machine ages will tend to break what you are doing

Again, if you like to muck around with this stuff and experiment, have at it, but please don't prescribe it as a fix.

And now to put my corporate "harda**" hat on. You certainly shouldn't expect most mainstream manufacturers to support you. I know with us, that if a rep hear that, they will politely tell them to call us back when you are operating the system as designed.

Note; A couple of the gaming companies do allow for this sort of tinkering, but even they have limits and like for example with Alienware, provide tools which themselves have limits to keep you from going to far afield.

Ok end of rant; I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just bring a dose of reality from the business side of things. And I 100% support holding the companies accountable when their system don't work as they should.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

Note: I was not recommending undervolting, just relaying what I learned from my research. As always, do such things at your own risk. I will also note, however, that Intel itself provides a free undervolting utility for enthusiasts to use.

desertlap likes this.
  3. desertlap

They do and if you read the documentation they provide more caveats about using it than there are clauses in the tax code.

Again I hope I didn't sound like I was yelling as much as I just want to make sure that people know what they are signing up for when they do it.

I play with the tools myself occasionally. I did recently as I was learning the in's and outs of intel's newer u series processors. It informs me as to some of the limits to what we can do when we deploy them with our customers.

dellaster likes this.
  4. desertlap

And since I've jumped in to this with both feet and to bring it back to the specifics of the folio.
    I had one of the folios and returned it as did @dstrauss.

And I was able to somewhat mitigate some of the issues with it by using these same types of tools but then I took a step back and thought, do I really want to sign up to having do that, potentially for the entirety of owning the device. The answer was no, and returning it to HP and telling them why I did I felt was the right course of action.

I feel like in many ways the companies (hardware and software) have gotten to where they are taking advantage of what I think, for lack of a better term, are lowered expectations from their customers, instead of truly properly testing and QA-ing their products before they put them on the market.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Dear Microsoft:

I have a Modest Proposal (aka Jonathan Swift). Please fork Windows 10 and Office 2016 immediately into a new secure SKU. NO NEW FEATURES EVER - just malware, security, and hardware compatibility updates. I'll pay you $1000 per year for a combined license to both. No more UPGRADES; no more FEATURE-ITIS; no more FILE FORMAT CHANGES; no more WATERED DOWN MOBILE VERSIONS. A license in perpetuity for a business productivity platform that will continue to run on whatever hardware life brings to us.

I'll even agree to buy your latest and greatest gaming/consumer crap rig for the fun adventurous stuff - JUST LEAVE MY BUSINESS DEVICE ALONE!

Sincerely.

dstrauss

Kumabjorn, DRTigerlilly and desertlap like this.
  6. dellaster

@dstrauss — I believe there is an enterprise/education version of Windows 10 like that, but I don't think they allow individuals to buy it. @desertlap probably can confirm or deny its existence. I think I heard Thurrott and Foley mention it on their podcast. ;)

7. desertlap

You know, there was an effort a long while back (possibly windows 3x) to do almost exactly what you describe and if memory serves it was a HP-MS collaboration where basically the OS and apps were in ROM and the storage on the system was strictly for files

dstrauss likes this.
  8. desertlap

I think there is for education specifically though my memory is hazy at the moment. I'll check and post back here what if anything I find

9. dellaster

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Dear Microsoft:

PS - get Adobe to likewise freeze the current version of CC into a SKU'd bundle with with your Win10 (REALLY) Pro SKU, and I'll hand over $500 a year to them as well.

Somehow lock this all down through the TPM module, perhaps even with secure ROM for the OS and Software, and you will do more for mankind than all the years of Jobsonian disruption at Apple.

Your grateful licensee slave,

dstrauss