HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It still is in a way. Basically, HP needs to unleash the Y processor in the Folio to help with the stuttering and sluggishness (and fix that TB3 performance while they are at it).

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

You mean, that overpriced, anemic leather computer? :p

3. dstrauss

He means that beautiful, incredibly designed, comfortable, and forward thinking computer - in need of some tender loving engineering. :cool::D

WillAdams and Evan Berry like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It very much is still. The folio is pushing the envelope in several ways including its choice of processor as well as the hinge (which is IMHO simply the best solution yet to a convertible type system) and the leather enclosure which is great feeling especially if you carry it around a lot.

@Marty, nice graphics and I very much agree with you on two points. Consumer and most medium business use for that matter is quite bursty and has only gotten more so with the core OS having more and more " stuff built in" for lack of a better description.

I also think that the y series is going to be Intel's mainstream processor by the next generation of chips.

I kind of picked on Intel earlier, but they are out of necessity continuing to innovate with their chip sets even if the days of big gains in raw performance are gone. I think one place you are seeing that is the y and u series where a lot more attention is being given to how they are used/deployed.

5. johnnobts

johnnobts Pen Pal - Newbie

Running throttlestop, undervolted .75, also disabled turbo, and 3dmark went from 641 to 882 on fire strike....

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Would you be so kind as to translate that information? Thanks.

7. johnnobts

I used a cpu program to lower the voltage running through the I7 to keep it a little cooler, and also disabled turbo boost on the processor (so it won’t run as fast in some instances), but again kept the cpu cooler so the folio overall runs faster (does not slow down as much due to heat)​

8. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

@lovelaptops — As to "undervolting", I recently learned what it was about (I haven't done it myself). It seems there are variations in how much voltage an individual CPU requires to operate properly, so the manufacturer sets the voltage high enough to guarantee that all of them work. Unfortunately, that means most CPUs are given more voltage than they need, therefore running hotter and throttling sooner than they would at their lesser, ideal voltage.

So people "undervolt" their CPUs until they find the point at which the CPU won't operate properly, then up it a bit for stability (lots of testing, I gather). It then runs cooler and faster (less throttling) than stock. Sometimes it makes a huge difference if you get an exceptional CPU—that's called winning the silicon lottery. ;)

Unlike overclocking, undervolting cannot harm your computer. At worst it won't boot and you revert to a working voltage. Edit to add: if done incorrectly the system can be unstable, causing no end of woe to the user. Do at your own risk!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. johnnobts

What you said:). Honestly I recommend trying out just disabling turbo boost

10. dstrauss

Are we really listening to what we are saying here and over at the Surface Go thread helping @Kumabjorn through nightmare BT connection problems with arcane registry hacks? Does it REALLY have to be this bad in 2019? Why are we still struggling with registry hacks, processor voltage tweaks, and near hackerdom gymnastics 25 YEARS AFTER WINDOWS 95 WAS RELEASED?

We haven't evolved at all since DOS XMS and HIMEM.SYS on the 80x86 platforms...:eek::mad::eek::(:eek::confused::eek::rolleyes:

Kumabjorn, dellaster and desertlap like this.