HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Surprisingly, when I chatted with sales yesterday about an Elite X2 1013 (their "commercial" product) I asked specifically which TB3 dock it supports, and I was referred to their universal USB-C only hub with multiple ports - neither the G2 or even the lowly (and now looks like discontinued) Elite 90W TB3 doc. I have yet to hear back from my new friend in escalations about a guaranteed TB3 dock for the Elite X2, or when it will get i7U again.

UPDATE - HP is trying hard to be helpful in configuring a comparable Elite X2 1013, but are having problems with components (Intel) and making that "guarantee" as to which TB3 dock will work with it...

UPDATE 2 - HP issued a refund immediately upon delivery to Federal Express for return - ordinarily it is 3-5 business days after they receive it before they process a return.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

So, what's next for you?

3. dstrauss

I sure wish I knew. For right now, I'm going back to the GB12 Heavy (8gb/256gb/Ltd LTE). HP is working on a proposal for an HP Elite X2 1013 i5/16gb/1tb/4gLTE that I am considering. Looks like a high end Surface Pro 6 but with LTE and all the trimmings - just a bit on the large side (like a Surface Book 2 13.5 Clipboard with a kickstand bail and a Type Cover.

It has been a joy using the GB 12 Lite today - first day in two weeks without a slowdown, shutdown, or freeze of one form or another.

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Both the Elite 90W TB3 dock and G2 TB3 dock should work with the Elite X2 1013 G3. If you look at the release notes for the most recent firmware for each the Elite X2 1013 G3 is listed:

https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/882/col73940-ob-216133-1-ob-216133-1_sp91361_releasedoc.html
    https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/308/col88715-ob-221497-1-ob-221497-1_sp92933_releasedoc.html

If you want an i7 you might try getting a smart-buy pre-configured model, like the 4SA58UT, from a reseller. They usually end up being significantly cheaper than a CTO model anyways, as long as you do not mind the smaller SSD or opening it up to install a larger one.

5. dstrauss

@win32asmguy - Thanks! That is very encouraging. I'm leaning back into that i5 model again - thanks also to @kurt corbin for the heads up on the limited performance delta between the i5U and i7U. In case you missed his post: HP Spectre Folio.

Think I'll go talk to the HP rep again...

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So the verge has a review up of the folio. No surprise he likes it a lot.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/25/...onvertible-2-in-1-review-specs-price-features

But a few things; one he didn't actually test it with a dock; two he claims to have the 1 watt 1080p display. three he goes on and on about the synaptics touch pad versus Microsoft precision drivers.

I would like to know how he's certain that he got the 1 watt display given HPs almost total radio silence on the issue

And while some love the precision trackpads , they aren't the panacea he makes them out to be and in fact they create issues if you use other pointing devices with a system.

Evan Berry likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Nice review, but my personal experience was obviously a little different than his, and there is no mention of TB3 performance - so in effect this is a near perfect device if you don't need to use it as a desktop replacement. I am equally smitten by the design and build, and it was hard boxing it up to send back to HP.

I too fail to understand the love for Precision Drivers (he shares this with Rubino) - other than Chrome, which even scrolls poorly on Precision Drivers, I saw little difference between the Folio and Surface Book 2 (other than a larger trackpad to work with).

8. dstrauss

Thanks to the folks here, and a very generous discount from HP for my problems with the Folio, I have a fully decked out Elite X2 1013 coming at end of February:

i5-8350U (1.7 GHz, 6MB cache)
    13" diagonal IPS LED 3k2k (3000 x 2000)
    1 TB M.2 PCIe NVMe TLC SSD
    Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X12 LTE-Advanced Broadband Wireless

They even threw in a 3 year parts and labor warranty...too much for even Mr. Skeptical to pass up

PS - the i7 seems extraordinarily constrained because they would even offer a back order on an i7 Elite X2. The salesman said the battery life and less throttling would make the i5 version a good choice, but then you know that famous salesman's line...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I admit, I am double-posting this, but I'm frustrated by the lack of response to 3 previous similar reach outs. (Plus, seeing @dstrauss quote my premise in this earlier post on another thread as equivalent to questionable used car salesman talk :D.)

<<I would like to ask a question again, because no one has answered me yet after several tries:

What_is_the_big_deal_about_i7(8th gen-U)-cpus? I'm frankly too lazy - and disgusted - to find and post the countless quotes in professional measured reviews, constantly in notebookcheck.net, virtually everywhere that performance is measured and compared, showing categorically that the difference in performance between these i5s and i7s is *immaterial* and of benefit for maybe 3% of use cases and a waste of $200-$300, material battery life and not infrequent high heat/fan/throttling (thereby eliminating the *theoretical* performance gains) for 97%+ of use cases.

What gives?>>

Or does it come down to: "my computer has bigger balls than your computer!"

10. dstrauss

No, no, no, - the reference to Used Cars was to the HP salesman giving me the rush on buying the i5 rather than bailing on HP altogether and looking elsewhere for an i7. Remember - that is "yellow primer" under that washed off red top coat...

And yes, 7 is bigger than 5 on the number scale...