HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

3. Evan Berry

Evan Berry Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a Google user for media, but I still have an iTunes account and downloaded the native Windows 10 application for iTunes. I have the same issue, though I would say it's more like 20 - 30 fps for movies on iTunes on my Folio 1080p. I checked the task manager while playing and iTunes seems to throttle the CPU, so I wonder if this is an issue with the file format or the app - Apple always has their own way of doing things. I can say that my Netflix application on Windows 10 plays beautifully. So does any web-based video application like google play store or Xfinity TV. Near as I can tell this appears to be unique to iTunes content.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Part of the issue with iTunes is their reliance on older codecs. They won't for instance out of pure stubbornness in my opinion license the VP9 codec which was co-developed by google even though it is an "open" standard.
    One work around is if you download a mobile app called movies anywhere , you can link your video libraries across multiple providers including Amazon, Google and Microsoft. When I did, about 90% of my iTunes movies were then available through the Microsoft video app/store and playback via the MS player is quite a bit smoother than iTunes

5. dstrauss

Well, my RMA has been processed, but instead of going back to HP Returns it is headed to Houston for an autopsy. The HP rep who called me said they know the Folio won't work with any Thunderbolt 3 docks, and in fact none of their consumer grade (non-Elite ?) computers support a Thunderbolt docking solution (they better fix the advertising for the Elite 90W and G2 TB3 docks then).

@desertlap - I looked into movies anywhere (think @lovelaptops also suggested it) but I don't like all the information they require to make this work across platforms and devices. Besides, when my two year old GB12 with only 4b RAM can hoss Lawrence of Arabia, I expect a modern device to do the same.

6. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

Given this issue seems to be an iTunes only issue, reasonable to assume this won’t be the last “modern device” you run into that has this issue. I definitely wouldn’t let iTunes comparability be a deciding factor for a computer purchase, unless I guess you already have a large amount of purchases tied up in iTunes already, or it’s the only cross platform media solution that works for you.

7. dstrauss

It is not a deciding factor; it is just the dried cherry on top. If it is a "modern device" issue, given all the TB3 issues as well, then it is Not Ready for Prime Time. The fact that my two year old GB12 can do more than the "modern device" can at this point (even without TB3, the GB12 is even better performing as a USB-C hub only device), means it goes back, which it has.

HP acknowledged to me today there is no TB3 dock that works with the Spectre Folio; arranged for an RMA; but instead of sending back to HP Returns, they sent it to their Houston TX office for study. That doesn't sound like a minor issue to me.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I feel for you. You've been urging makers to come up with a Thunderbolt solution and when HP finally comes through, it is just with problems attached to it. The world is a cruel place and a sane man could become an atheist for less.

9. dstrauss

@Kumabjorn - or I may be insane and just tilting at windmills. It seems, from my conversations with those tech and sales reps, that they see TB3 as just a fat video pipe connecting directly to your 4k or 5k monitor, not as a universal docking solution. Maybe Microsoft is the one who hasn't been insane avoiding USB-C and TB3 all this time. As I jumped around looking for solutions, I found Dell and Lenovo customers up in arms about Thunderbolt problems and incompatibilities.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As a folio owner myself with issues similar to @dstrauss, I find HP's response so far a bit infuriating. I have two TB devices I use regularly. It's as if HP is saying "yeah we gave you two TB3 ports, but don't really use them, ok...":mad:

thierryb and dstrauss like this.