HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

:(

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No need for sad faces anymore - I'm no longer in denial - I am h*** on computers and maybe a bad omen if I ever get one that works correctly for this picky/indecisive old fart.

3. dstrauss

HP has finally called and they are sending a RMA label. They say my experiences are "unique" and a "one off" and wanted me to take a replacement, but when I asked if the proposed replacement would work with any of their Thunderbolt docks, all I got was silence, then a recommendation for a USB-C docking solution...my intell suggests they know that TB3 is a hot mess on the Y series processors, and like Surface hot bagging 4 years ago, they have no solution to the problem.

No benchmarks (I prefer to focus on what it feels like) - but my two year old GB 12 4gb is snappier and more responsive.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  4. lovelaptops

Well, at least they called you! Will they send you the new one before you send back the existing? Would be interesting to run comparisons. Is there a reason a USB-C dock won't work for you? I know it's not as cool, but do you need TB bandwidth for any peripherals? PS: I think Gen 7 U is as fast as Gen 8 Y. What actions feel snappier on the GB 12?

5. dstrauss

We are using some TB HDD for a large document production. Could just connect to port directly, but when you are spending this much money you expect it to work properly - not have to work around one of the major features (like getting a 16gb RM configuration but told you can only use 11gb). I also want a single cable solution - hard to get there without TB3.

I've turned down the offer about a replacement, but do need to return that call. On the GB12 almost everything feels snappier: applications loading; files opening; web page loads in Chrome; tab switching in Chrome; moving windows form screen to screen; almost everything screen related. Not 4 cylinder vs turbo charged different, but always noticeable.

6. lovelaptops

Why no replacement? For the BT issues alone?

7. dstrauss

TB3 failure; BT lockups; random slowdowns even in pure laptop mode; unable to run iTunes movies in any configuration.

The only replacement I would consider at this point is the Elite X2 1013, but it is not available in the i7 configuration - Intel constrained. A replacement SPectre Folio would have to come with a TB3 dock and guaranty of performance.

8. lovelaptops

is 8th gen i7 materially faster for real people than i5?

9. Evan Berry

Evan Berry Pen Pal - Newbie

So are you going to exchange your 4K folio for a new one to see if it performs better? I'm sorry to hear you're having so many issues. My 1080p version is working quite well. No lagginess, error messages, random reboots, freezes, etc. Battery life is easily two days with intermittent use. My only complaints (if you can even call them that) is the weight of the laptop and the chintzy pen loop. Perhaps the touchpad scrolling isn't as smooth as other devices I've used.

10. dstrauss

My plan is to return it and sit this one out until I can see some real improvement. I asked yesterday if they would guarantee the replacement woud work with at least one of their TB3 docks - she said she couldn't do that but could get me a USB-C hub...o_O:rolleyes: If you have an iTunes account, try watching any movie and see if ti will even go faster than 10 fps. Mys Spectre Folio won't, but my lowly 4gb GB12 can run Lawrence of Arabia full speed and smooth as butter. I don't NEED iTunes, but it is another symptom of a botched video experience.

We'll see what the callback from HP brings...