HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Have a look at the Book2 'reviews' thread before you do. It's a pretty good device, but with enough limitations that you should also consider something like the latest Surface Pro. The main limitation: Windows on ARM. I'm not saying don't buy it (I have one myself), but definitely educate yourself on the ARM vs Intel issue.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

You have my blessings - as if you care!!!!

dstrauss likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The secret to happiness there my friend.:vbwink:

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I do...:thumbsup:

I did...44 years ago...:vbbiggrin:

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Hey, some of us work hard to fulfill both requirements.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Bronsky, desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  6. dstrauss

I believe I reported earlier I was going to try a Startech 60W USB-C dock while waiting for HP to sort out its TB3 problems. That is not the answer if you have two 2k monitors - whether daisy chained or using both the DP and HDMI outputs on the Startech, the second monitor cannot run more than 1080p, so two cables it is for now (one for video and USB out to my two SH850 monitors and the second for power to the Folio - the SH850 PD is not enough to power the Folio).

The more I get mad about limitations, the more I fall in love with this device. It just grows on you, and I've never experienced that with another computer. It's far from a fire breathing powerhouse; TB3 is a dumpster fire; it's really too big as a note taking device; but I can't turn my back on it (says the guy who trades in computers more often than some folks change clothes).

7. johnnobts

johnnobts Pen Pal - Newbie

Got the 4K folio and the Galaxy Book2 same time yesterday. Already had the Folio (BB version 1080p) but the 4K display is much better (brightness matters, can have it at half brightness and see clearly in office setting). Nice to see I can do 4K her Netflix as well! Even though this one has more memory it definitely feels slower than the BB model, probably bc it’s driving the higher res screen.

As for the Galaxy Book2, super light, and the build of the tablet is great, but the included keyboard cover feels so incredibly cheap it’s a huge letdown. The two best features of the Book2 are LTE (want a 4K folio with LTE) and that drop dead gorgeous OLED display. I saw at CES hp has an oled 360 in the works, gosh could you imagine an oled Spectre Folio? I would buy that.

8. dstrauss

Some more observations from the anecdotal handbag:
    • WiFi performance is really pretty good. I'm at our grandson's swim meet - a huge metal 50 meter structure with notoriously poor cell reception; AT&T showed 51ms ping, 22mbs down and 3.2mbs up - excellent considering neither my Surface Go, Surface Pro LTE, nor tethering ever worked before
    • Yesterday, in Austin, I brought the 4k Folio with me to the Apple store so I could do some real side by side comparison
      • Of course it is larger and heavier than the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro 13.
      • Screen is as good as the MBP13 and better than the MBA
      • I was only on LTE, but website opening and scrolling was as fast as either of them
      • Keyboard VASTLY superior to both of them
      • Really believe HP needs to at least go 16:10, if not 3:2, with the Folio
      • Got some strange, but interesting looks from the staff, and a few "is that the leather notebook" questions and comments from customers
      • Then switched over to iPad Pro (11 and 12.9)
        • Keyboard is unbelievably better than iPad
        • Conversion to pure note taking far better than iPad - have to leave part of keyboard exposed upwards to start writing
        • Pencil inking is smoother and more fluid
        • Surface Pen has more traction on the Folio screen
        • End results only insignificantly better than Folio
      • FINAL TAKE - Folio is the best ever compromise for a REAL laptop and a Note Taking tablet
    Random Observation of Apple Customers: They are a fiercely loyal group across ALL age groups - as many folks my age as teens. Very few were "gee what should I get" instead seemed very conversant with tech. I say that because all the folks strolling the low end ($400-$800) isles at Best Buy are like "what is a computer." It was a Saturday morning at 10:00 and the place was already packed with folks wandering from Starbucks, where I had camped out, over to the Apple store. For all the fun I make of Apple acolytes, they do have a great business model. In fact, two different buyers walked up to the salesman in front of me and placed an order for a 512gb MBA and 256gb iPP 11 without asking a single question. They have swallowed the mantra hook, line, sinker AND FISHING ROD.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    WillAdams and Evan Berry like this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'd give my interest in Hell for Apple to license their OS --- I'd dearly love to use Mac OS X on a nice tablet w/ EMR.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. dstrauss

Why not try Hackintoshing a GB12 with 8gb RAM and 256gb SSD?