HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Evan Berry

Evan Berry Pen Pal - Newbie

Quiggy, you are probably right. The lack of any literature from HP citing the 1 watt technology does support your conclusion. I will say the AUO572D display appears about 25% brighter at max brightness than the AUO552D display. I had both the HP Quick Ship (i7, 8G ram, 256GB SSD with LTE modem) and my current HP custom build (i7, 16G ram, 512GB SSD wifi only) for about a day to compare before returning the quick ship model. I didn't notice much difference in battery life either, but I did notice the custom build has a brighter display (just not sure how many nits).

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that based on anecdotal, not hard evidence that the 572 and 552 are of the same line from AU and that the 572 is just capable of higher light levels (400 nit) than the 552. AU could easily accomplish that by simply putting in a more powerful backlight.

I also suspect that the 572 is a HP exclusive right now (probably simply because they bought AU's entire production run) and that's partially why there is a dearth of technical information available.

Last but not least, our other supplier insists that they are not aware of any commercially shipping system with the 1 watt tech. Of course that's just their realm.

I really like the concept behind the 1 watt tech and look forward to actually seeing devices with it. But based on our engineering sample, it still needs to bake some more.

Evan Berry likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, Spectre Folio performance went from poor to worse. Tried streaming the remastered version of Lawrence of Arabia on iTunes last night and it choked worse than when connected to the thunderbolt dock(s); then overall performance ground to a halt. Tried same thing on Surface Go and it huffed and puffed only slightly better. Made the mistake of pulling out GB12 Lite, and of course streamed Lawrence in full OLED gory without dropping a frame. (Yes, BTW, all were using the Store version of iTunes, which is a performance hog compare to the old desktop version, but thought only fair to compare Apples to Apples across the three devices).

HP Tech (another round) confirmed there are "issues" and are working with sales to arrange a non-restocking fee return. They, and our outside IT consultant, strongly recommended I move to the business class Elite line, so I'm spec-ing an Elite X2 1013 with 4g LTE (just can't live without it for travel purposes). Seems that a fully loaded X2 1013 may not be any more expensive than my leather clad Folio...

For those not familiar with the X2 1013, think SB2 clipboard with a kickstand and Surface Pro Type Cover (just no 1050 GTX, but with Thunderbolt 3 and 4G LTE). Hmmmmm

4. johnnobts

johnnobts Pen Pal - Newbie

only interested in the galaxy book2 bc of the AMOLED display. I may order it to play with it while waiting on the 4k folio book. But for right now, running Shadow.tech cloud on my folio and having a great battery life so pretty happy with this little guy.

5. dstrauss

DAY 30 and Folio is here to stay.
    • This design is just too awesome and so perfect for transitioning between note taking and laptop use (if only it were 12" though - 13.3 at 16:9 is a bit too large)
    • iTunes - learned that if you turn off syncing video across your devices in iTunes it runs nearly as good as the others - YouTube, Amazon Prime, Netflix
    • Rumor has it that it goes on and off the customized list because of unexpectedly good sales which leads to...
    • I have to believe they'll sort out the TB3 issue, even if it means a dock redesign
    • The 4k screen is gorgeous
    • Interim recommendations for users out there
      • Use a USB-C monitor, preferably one with the highest power delivery you can find (just don't ask me how you find that out - it's not an advertised spec in the usual reviews)
      • Connect one TB3 port to the monitor by USB-C and daisy chain the second form the first
      • Connect a USB-C dock to either of the other two ports; it should have power delivery if your monitor (like my SH850) doesn't output enough W to run the system without battery drain
    PS - I've been reading up on the Elite X2 1013 and some folks have had both TB3 and general issues as well (not as bad as the Folio and TB3). Worse yet, they have pulled the i7 version for "performance issues" and the unit is only available with the i5. Granted, that is still far more powerful than the Folio i7Y, but it is just not the Folio in design and function.

Call me a sap, call me shallow, but I fell for a pretty face over pure function...

Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think overall comfort and happiness with a product is of primary importance. You have to spend hours with it every day, after all. Congratulations on finding what floats your boat. :thumbsup:

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Here's to hoping it floats (for at least a while)...:)

8. johnnobts

Returned my BB version last night, my custom order 4K arrives Monday or maybe sooner. Wanted a brighter display even though the full had colors were good. Only other tablet I’m looking at is the Galaxy Book2 bc of the OLED and LTE. I don’t need a super powerful laptop as I can run my NvIdia GeForce Now or shadow tech cloud pc on my folio. Dstrauss, don’t you also have the Book2? Can you tel me if the shadow.tech app will run on it? It’s a 64bit program so hoping it will.

9. dstrauss

Sorry, no, I only have the early 2017 Galaxy Book 12 Lite (as I call it; 4gb RAM and 128gb SSD).

10. johnnobts

It’s fine, gonna order the book2 and try it out as well