HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a TB16 and found it to be junk so that went back and I got a D6000. If I recall the TB16 relies heavily on software installed on the device to get it to behave right.

2. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Dell 3415W and a 24" ultrasharp both hooked up via display port. The video works fine and the folio charges over the usb-c cable. Should I care if the dock is thunderbolt or not?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    desertlap and thierryb like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would say definitely not, If it is working well for you. The reasons for TB3 specifically would be higher end video such as an external card or high end storage. The latter is my specific need. That coupled with an ingrained "it's supposed to work, therefore it must " ethic in me :)

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

For me, it's more "I paid for it so damn it make it work" imprinted into my DNA. That said, I am keeping the Folio. There is no better design for a full time laptop that also serves as a fool proof tablet (even if a bit too big), with a solid battery life (I believe I'm getting between 7-9 hours even with the 4k display - but that is anecdotal, not measured in any specific way). If your wife will give you some quality time with it you'll see what I mean.

To elaborate: If I retreat to the GB12 Heavy or a Surface Go LTE, I'll still be relying on the SH850 monitors for daisychain goodness and a basic USB-C docking solution. So I will keep the Folio and use the same setup until they sort out a working TB3 dock or the "next great release" catches my wandering eyes. My thought is with the popularity of the Folio HP will be forced to make one of their TB3 docks work with it sooner than later. If not, for now, USB-C and daisychaining is fine (well, I still have two plugs because the power delivery of the monitor is not high enough to charge the Folio by itself). For now, it is the closest to an all-in-one solution I have found.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So just as follow up to this.
    My engineer says this is a very good but not great tool "4 out of 5 stars...." :)
    Seriously though both it's strength and it's weakness is that it relies heavily on the power management infrastructure that's in Intel motherboards. So that nets out to three things.
    1. It relies on what the PM stuff is reporting as far as power consumption is concerned which means that it's not super reliable for testing individual components such as a display or disk drive
    2. It would be even less reliable for non Intel devices e.g WOA or AMD systems
    3. It is an independently developed piece of software and therefore might be out of sync with the latest chip sets. It apparently gives wildly inaccurate results with the latest y-series processors for instance.

That all being said, I thinks it's a solid consumer level tool and one I intend to use with my home devices.

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. Evan Berry

Evan Berry Pen Pal - Newbie

Happy New Year, all! I'm sorry to read that some of you are struggling with finding a compatible doc to use the HPSF as a workstation. While I don't use that, I do have a ASUS USB-C plug and play monitor that I use when I need two screens and it works well with the thunderbolt port on our folios, providing enough energy to power the second display. I use this when working on my dissertation and need the extra screen real estate.

On another note, I have been scanning the internet looking for any updates regarding the 1 watt display power usage scenario. I appreciate desertlap's (as well as others) time commenting on this and I suspect that those of us with the AUO572D 1080p FHD displays might be equipped with the technology to run the display at 1 watt (with reduced screen brightness I'm sure).

I haven't found anything more informative on the 1 watt display topic than this thread and have routed others from elsewhere with questions on the matter to it. Given how much reviewers/articles have commented on our Folios having this technology (I'm guessing HP told them when they provided the units) that somebody must know if any of the folios have this and/or if the software/firmware for this is active or disabled.

Hoping to keep this conversation alive as people get more info and/or get brave and tear down their units to reveal what secrets are inside :)

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Completely off topic

@Evan Berry when i first saw your name pop up on the forum, I had to do a double take, You ALMOST share the same name as one of my consultants who is Dr. Evon Berry.:p

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks so much for your always highly proficient technical evaluations and explanations. I hear you on all the things it might or will not report accurately. Could you flip it to the converse: what kinds of power usage measurements would it be accurate enough to be useful, as a consumer utility? When you say it would not convey accurate information about how much power a display is drawing, are you saying that if you held everything else constant, but changed the brightness on a display, that the change in power consumption reported by the utility would not be accurate? Again, where would it be useful enough for you to keep it in your consumer bag of tricks?

9. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my mits on 4 folios, one from best buy and three custom orders with AUO572D 1080P FHD displays. The most recent was received this morning so it is as up to date as they come. None of them measure above 300 nits and none of them perform any measurable amount different with respect to battery life than the Best Buy model with AU0552 display in it. This is with testing at 50, 100, 150 and 300 nits brightness. Testing wise I have run video playback tests and battery benchmarks and gotten the same results between all models. I have not seen any evidence that reviewers who are referencing 1 watt displays are doing anything more than reading from some literature HP provided. I have not seen any test by any reviewer that quantified power savings due to the specific screen. It is also telling that you will not find mention of 1 watt technology anywhere on HPs folio site, on the order screen, or when you speak with a sales representative. You did not purchase a 1 watt display. HP sold you a "FHD 1080P IPS WLED" display and we hoped it was a 1 watt display that would both save power and perform well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. Evan Berry

Evan Berry Pen Pal - Newbie

Tigerlilly, not the first time that's happened to me. But, no, I'm not a consultant! :)