HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

My pleasure. It really is an invaluable tool, I've used it so many times for trouble shooting. What amazes me is I don't think I've ever encountered someone who uses it, nor have I ever discovered a battery/power utility that does what it does. From an engineering standpoint, does it require a lot of cleverness to perform that function, or is just a matter of thinking of outcome and combining a wattage meter and a clock?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Did they give any reason for the refusal?

When I had the FHD custom build the HP Elite 90W TB# dock worked with it fine, so I was hopeful when the 4k arrived it would too. The HP Elite didn't (see my prior posts); HP specifically told me the G2 would work with it, but just like the HP Elite it slows to a crawl, video staggers, app windows crawl when you try to move them from monitor to monitor programs open visibly slower than the FHD model.

Whether the FHD 1W or 4k panel, I'm not sure the HD615 is up to it, either driver or processor-wise. Everyone says TB3 is "finicky" and maybe this proves it, because the custom Surface dock and lowly Pentium Gold can hoss my configuration far better than the HP docks...

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Boo-hoo.:vbmad:. What about trying to speak to a high level (2 or 3) tech support person at HP? It just doesn't make sense. Disappointing that our resident high-level tech, @desertlap doesn't appear to have a solution, but he ordered the same config, I think, and is trying the Belkin generic dock. It seems so close, yet so far...

4. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

Hp's site currently isnt allowing custiom folio builds

5. dstrauss

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, same on me; fool me 117 times and maybe I should be committed. I have never failed to be cut on bleeding edge technology, but I always used to relish the challenge to "make it work" - now I just throw up my hands and run away. PS - I was "escalated" to higher tech support when I was told the G2 dock was compatible with the Folio.

Maybe they just ran out of 4k panels...

alaskajoel likes this.
  6. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

You can't configure an FHD model either

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting that they have pulled the 4k option. Without actual hands on I'm only guessing myself. My folio should be here 9th-11th and the Belkin dock will be here Tuesday.

Areas of investigation would be related to the fact that you have a 4k display, advanced LTE Modem, high end WiFi ,PCI NVME storage, and the dock with various devices all competing for PCIE lanes/processor resources.

One of or more of those devices could be less than optimized or causing a bus wide slow down. I also wonder about thermal management.

Even though I haven't seen any user reports of the folio getting hot, I also wonder given both the new design and the exceptionally small motherboard (at least I've seen it described in some articles that way)if possibly HP is being overly aggressive in throttling the machine to prevent it.

As has been stated, the y series processors also have the very newest implementation of TB3. There are some software tools we use to examine the thunderbolt interface. I intend to put mine through a comprehensive test when it arrives.

We also are getting a couple of the new MacBook Airs in Tuesday for certification and I plan to take a closer look at them since they have the same y series processors and TB3.

I'll share what I find.

PS: I did have an HP engineer tell me yesterday, contrary to what HP support told @dstrauss that the G2 dock hadn't been certified for the folio yet

8. dstrauss

I have about 20 days left on the return window for the Folio and 29 days on the G2 dock. Since the G2 dock performs no better than the Elite Dock, I am leaning towards returning the G2 dock now and seeing how things develop (maybe even getting the Elite dock to work eventually). Apart from the docking, the Folio works with my current monitors and peripherals as long as I use a couple of cables and DP daisychaining. Besides the great design, the one practical attraction of the Folio was future proofing - dual USB-C TB3 ports for no limitations; yet that seems to be all they've brought in this model IS limitations. Perhaps time will resolve that, if HP stays interested enough to make it work. It was almost two years before they got the Spectre x360 13 working reliably with the HP Elite Dock. This could also be a symptom, as my HP-loving outside IT consultant says, that HP technical really focuses on the commercial (Elite) line over the consumer (Spectre) line.

Thinking back across all of the reviews I've read, not a SINGLE reviewer tried the Folio with any TB3 peripheral, much less a TB3 dock. As a stand alone system with my current equipment, save for Chrome's slower performance, there' not much difference in real world experience between the Folio and the Surface Go LTE (8gb/256gb WinPro model), except for the bigger screen and $1800.

Yes, that was intentionally sarcastic. It was also a wake up call to evaluate this system more honestly than I have been. Pen performance is not as good (I'm even using my Surface Pen with the Folio - go figure). Battery life is amazingly better, even with the 4k dsiplay, so that's a big plus. The form factor, on the other hand, goes way to the SG LTE - size and 3x the weight are immediately noticeable even around the office.

9. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

Custom buy is back up complete with 4k display. They just added burgundy option for $10.

10. johnnobts

johnnobts Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I ordered a 4K folio, but got the brown color bc it’s shipping faster.