HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah well, except that under full load, the SB2 pulls more power than the dock can deliver.o_O

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Followed up with HP tech support - they claim the Dock G2 connector from the dock to laptop comes out of the bottom and is in two parts - one barrel shaped the other USB-C; you use whichever your computer supports - so basically you are paying $22 more for 230W vs 120W and the ZBook double connector. :confused:

3. dstrauss

Based upon last night and today's observations:
    1. I am convinced the lag, video streaming drops, and most (if not all) of the pen inking lag, occurred while connected to the HP Elite 90W TB3 dock. There were delays sometimes even moving windows from one monitor to another. Thermals hovered near 60C.
    2. Last night, running on battery, no delays, no lags, temps between 35-42C.
    3. Today, I packed away the dock, connected the the Folio directly to the monitors via USB-C and DP daisy chain, and even in tablet mode no lags, video streamed smoothly, and temps hovered around 40-45C.
    So HP is sending me (well, for $320 plus tax) the G2 Thunderbolt Dock - it is their designated "compatible dock" for the Folio - and we'll see if that gums up the works as well.

4. dstrauss

HP Thunderbolt Dock G2

G2 TB3 Dock arrived this morning; setup went quickly but no difference:
    • Good news is the combo plug is magnetically connected so it can be separated into USB-C only for the Folio.
    • Bad news is it doesn't work any better than the Elite 90W model.
      • Video stutters even worse
      • Application windows can barely be move from screen to screen
      • General system slowdowns opening apps/files
      • There are no drivers or firmware updates for the G2
      • The thermals were better - 48-52C constant
      • Everything worked tons better just connected by serial port to video and USB hub - but NOT enough power coming from the SH850 monitor to power the Folio, so you have to plug in the power supply as well
      • in general, the Surface Go LTE performs better from the Surface Dock; the Spectre Folio performs better as a stand alone
    I am about to declare the Folio 4k version also not ready for prime time as a desktop replacement - still awaiting callback from HP Tech Support. If USB-C from my monitor could deliver enough power to not drain the Folio battery, I might consider this until they can match up Y-series TB3 support to existing docks, but it does not. You have to use a separate power adapter as well as the daisychain/USB A hub

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well that's not good news at all. I think I might cancel my order for the G2 dock. I ordered a more generic Belkin dock too since it has the connectors I need and we can use it with our lab MacBook Air

I really wonder though what the core issue is. We know that the y series chips are also the newest thunderbolt, but it almost feels like you have a misbehaving device somewhere in your chain. If it were me and I was in a troubleshooting mood I'd probably start with connecting just a single additional display and nothing else and then add devices one by one, Lather, rinse, repeat.

And I'm sure you have tried this, but you are connected on the right side TB connector and not the left which is only USB-C?

6. dstrauss

Your last question first - yes, and I tried both ports after resets.

As for your first question , I may try the single monitor first, then daisychain from that if it helps. I seem to remember having docking problems using both displayport adapters on the Surface Dock with the Surface Pro 4 one time.

7. johnnobts

johnnobts Pen Pal - Newbie

sigh, trying to order a 4k version but they won't let me

8. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

My folio (custom order FHD) works fine with a Dell D6000 USB-C thunderbolt dock. Dock is hooked to two monitors via display port, several usb devices, a headset and an external hard disk. Folio charges and doesn't get hot.

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow - wake up, @dstrauss , get this immediately! If it doesn't work for you, you have a lemon (my bet from the start!)

10. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

OTOH, the Folio (at least the FHD version that I have) does work with some existing docks - I have no issues with HP's Omen Accelerator - however, that takes its video from the graphics card you put in the dock, not from the Folio's own processor, and it isn't silent.