HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I sense love is in the air :D

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Glad you're enjoying your new tool (I bristle when people call my tablet a toy ... my Honda S2000, now that's a toy ... But, the Surface Go is one of my primary tools for making a living).

Welcome to the world of fanless designs. It has been a primary requirement for my tablets for quite some time. Glad to see the OEMs catching up.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If I could like this multiple times I would. Fanless is the way all pcs should be If possible. Makes them lighter, thinner, and most important to me, quieter. Even the best ones create a whine which grates on me when I'm using them in a quiet space.

dstrauss likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Between everyone having Christmas colds and a full house, not much time for setup and play, but I LOVE the keyboard and very solid laptop mode, and can then switch to note taking in a second. Installed OneNote 2016 (happy dance - still can't get used to Store version). First pen results are "interesting," The included pen is a little slippery on the screen - somewhere between Surface Pen and Apple Pencil. Diagonal limes show less jitter, but Surface Pen has better feel on the screen and the eraser works perfectly. The optional rechargeable HP Pen is not working - not sure what's up with that, but not likely a keeper anyway because it's too big to fit in the pen loop.

5. dstrauss

Can't agree enough with this - it is so amazing not to have a whining or wailing fan going all the time.

6. desertlap

Question related to the keyboard, if you know, but specifically how is the key travel? On the x360 spectre that I played with, I would term it "firm" e.g. not as much key travel as say a thinkpad, but not quite as shallow as the new macbooks

7. dstrauss

Key travel is great - actually better than Surface Pro type cover, not quite as good as Surface Book; better than any MacBook (Pro or otherwise). In fact, I HATE the MacBook keyboard so much I prefer the iPad Smartkeyboard to the MacBook.

Another in my serious of stream of consciencce about the HP Spectre Folio (HPSF from now on) - they need to get rid of the camera login and expand the display top and bottom; and put a fingerprint sensor in the power button - a triple whammy win. There is NOTHING inherently better about Windows Hello facial recognition over fingerprint, and that gives you a lot more screen real estate to work with.

Telstar1948 and desertlap like this.
  8. desertlap

Agree on multiple counts. For me the gold standard in mobile keyboards were the mid 2000's thinkpads, but those days are gone. The MacBook keyboards are only tolerable because of the rest of the machine is pretty top notch.

As to Windows Hello, I'm an edge case (in many ways :) ) but it rarely works for me especially where I spend most of my time which is out in the field. Corporately we actually use fingerprints where possible in coordination with a tiny USB dongle (another variation of two factor authentication). The only issue with the dongle is that it's easy to lose/misplace.

9. dstrauss

A couple of more observations - one a little bit of a concern:

It definitely dwarfs the GB12:

IMG_6069.jpg

More of concern is a bit of overheating (very hot to touch in center of speaker grill):

CoreTempHPSF.PNG

Also, a note about charging - it got down to 42%, and it has been on the charger for more than three hours while doing file transfers from my USB-C backup drive and some light browsing, and it has only come back to 73%. The last two of these will bear watching.

10. johnnobts

johnnobts Pen Pal - Newbie

I got the BB i7/256GB 1080P 2w display version. its been great. Also I've been using the shadow tech cloud gaming service with it. It works so well, am thinking about getting the 4k display instead. Also put an android emulator on it so I can use my active voice listening teleprompter app in tablet mode for public speaking. really a stellar product. wish the 2w display was a little brighter though, as I've gotten spoiled by my 450nit matebook x pro.