HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...None on hand to demo or in stock...>>

...For what it's worth, my local BB didn't put a Folio on display until a couple of weeks ago. So perhaps there is still hope?

2. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

So how's the cpu working with games?

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

DRTigerlilly and WillAdams like this.
  4. desertlap

So what I'm about to say has some speculation to it, but I was in Best Buy last night and they had just put the newest late 2018 HP Spectre X360 units on display (the ones with the notched edges) including the 13 inch with the 4K display.

Just playing with it and obviously not being able to test it, but it's an absolutely gorgeous display. Since HP looks to be using the same 1080 p 300 nit display in both the X360 and folio, I'm thinking/hoping they might use the 4k display in both lines too.

If they do, I know what I want for Christmas.

5. desertlap

Well this is interesting. We have one of the newest Spectre X360 whiskey lake (not the folio) in the offices today. Our IT was setting it up for the employee and they contacted me because "the screen looked off".

Taking a look at the supplied build sheet, it matches what @dstrauss had on his folio in terms of description I.E UWVA 400 uslim...

Actually looking at the system it has similar issues to what he and we saw, blurry scrolling and a somewhat washed out look by default.
    The good news is that changing from the default profile and doing a calibration with a Spyder improved it greatly.

It also has version 25.20.100.6444 dated 11-28 of the intel HD graphics which is a newer driver than anything we have had.
    With all of that said, the display looks pretty good now though I couldn't put it through the full tests as the employee needs his computer.

So TLDR, the 1 watt 400 nit display that HP is using apparently on both the X360 and folio may have gotten past it's teething issues

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    dstrauss likes this.
  6. kurt corbin

For what it's worth, on both the folio and the 13.3" Spectre x360 , the default FHD display is glossy. For decades, HP marketing has been calling glossy displays "Brightview" when they can't think of anything else to say.

On the 13.3" Spectre x360, for $40 more, you get the FHD with "Sureview" (an "integrated privacy screen"). It's glossy.

For $200 more on the 13.3" Spectre x360, you get a 4k glossy.

What you really want is "anti-glare," and you don't get that in any of the 13.3" Spectre x360 displays, or the folio, either.

As for calibrating the folio, I don't think a consumer should have to get a professional calibration for the display to look right.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    dstrauss likes this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Wait didn't HP have 13in business models with the dreamcolor and dreamcolor 2 displays that were anti-glare?

8. kurt corbin

I don't know, but that phrase is not in any current description of the folio or the 13.3" Spectre x360.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  9. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know if it was the brightview or sureview option? Did it have the privacy screen option on the top left of the keyboard?

10. desertlap

It didn't call them either and it did not have a privacy screen option. Looking on our approved device list for HP, there aren't any privacy screen options for the whiskey lake version of the spectre. Either they aren't making it this time or more likely it just hasn't been released yet.
    @bloodycape we were told that dream color was going to be ProBook and their professional displays only. They consider the spectre a consumer line even though she acknowledged that they sell a lot of spectres to businesses