HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Info Update:
    1. 4G LTE (according to chat) will be available on the customizable version of the Folio 13 on October 17
    2. Currently you can get the Folio 13 with i7, 16gb RAM, and 1tb SSD for $2039, BUT that is still just FHD (until year end - I imagine 4k will really boost the price)
    WHERE THE H is that Galaxy Book 2 with LTE!

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My Surface Pro 2 was my two 16:9 devices. My first, and my last.

dstrauss likes this.
  3. dstrauss

I wish it were a 12" 3:2 device myself, but I have to say it is really getting to me, and I have taken the Elite X2 1013 out of the shopping cart at HP. I've always struggled to find a good leather folio for my tablets, and even then you have to pull them out and set them up - not just open and go! Maybe it has snob appeal for my Apple carrying friends...

The HP sales folks told me the 4G LTE option for the customized Folio 13 will be available 10/17. If that's the case, I think this one may warrant a trial run despite the larger format than what I wanted. Decisions decisions.

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I may have to take up eating popcorn again....I cannot wait to see how this develops. My X2 1012 G1 is now 2 years old (I think...it may be 3) and still going strong but...looking at successors is always fun as long as it is just looking!

5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Needs to come in black.

Sent from mTalk

6. dstrauss

Just lookin', just lookin', just lookin'...

7. dstrauss

THE ORDER HAS BEEN SUBMITTED!

HP Folio 13 with i7Y (fanless), 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel® XMM™ 7560 LTE-Advanced Pro, rechargeable Wacom AES2 pen (sad face goes here - why not Wacom EMR).

I am certain my order will be the impetus to Samsung and Apple to show their hands in the next 7-10 days to up the buyer's remorse pressure on yours truly before my folio 13 even ships on November 2...you can all thank me later for that...:rolleyes:

First off, I am amazed at HP's sales team honesty - they told me the LTE version would become an option on 10/17 and by golly, they got my order this morning. This device is larger than I would like (you know I love 3:2, not 16:9), and only uses an FHD screen, but it ticks a lot of boxes:
    • 4G LTE (1G no less)
    • Fanless i7Y design
    • 16GB RAM
    • 1TB SSD
    • The FHD screen is the new 1W model touted by Intel
    • Claimed 18 hour battery life (hopefully we can get 10 hours on productivity software)
    • Price: $2159 (got a small discount for direct order)
    The real leather folio design really intrigues me. I generally always carry my devices in a leather (generally faux) folio or notebook, and this kills two birds with one stone.

The folding method is a potential winner. It is a true laptop when opened; no origami folding or kickstand and magnetic keyboard to balance on your lap. The screen folds forward and down to go into tablet mode, so you can quickly move from note taking to typing and back to note taking. Many times in conferences I want to look something up on the server or internet and it is awkward to swing back to laptop mode on the fly.

DID I MENTION 4G LTE - they actually have it for sale. What a unique concept (almost Apple-esque) to have the LTE model available for sale only two weeks after announcement. Actually, not even that is fair to HP, because a pre-configured i5/8gb/256gb model was available for order from release - I just had to wait a couple of weeks for the beast mode customization option. Take that Microsoft (looking at you Surface Go and Surface Pro 6)!

No promises this is THE ONE, but a lot of interesting possibilities. In truth, I'm not excited about a 13.3" 16:9 size laptop, much less FHD instead of 4k, but I am trying to put on my best sour grapes face and ask "what so special about 4k" (can't pull that one off on 16:9 vs 3:2 though - no doubt 3: and even 4:3 are superior to 16:9). Also, Wacom AES2, at least it's rechargeable, but EMR would have been killer.

Alas, as @Telstar1948 told me, the search for portable perfection continues (and we can swap notes on the Lenovo C930 vs HP Folio 13 - PS, got my 4G LTE old buddy).:D

PS - @dceggert - break out the popcorn...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    dceggert, Telstar1948 and Azzart like this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

:eek:

9. dstrauss

Always pulling something out of somewhere, aren't I...:confused::rolleyes:

Surprisingly it is a good bit taller in landscape, but only 1" wider as well (rationalizations to continue, along with setting the 30 day return clock when it arrives the week of November 5).;)

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...And the rush back to 16:9 continues: I ordered a ZBook X2 yesterday to replace my 3-year old Z Canvas...

dstrauss likes this.