HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

That's actually helpful to us, thanks!

PS: Little side note, the panel you had is UWVA which is different screen tech at a hardware level than IPS (and UWVA is what our engineering sample is too). The 4k display that is forthcoming is described as E-IPS. Guess the e stands for enhanced?

And I don't want to muddy the waters by implying that IPS is better than UWVA. It's just different and both have pros and cons. But speaking generally; I.E. Color accuracy for IPS and peak brightness and fast pixel response for UWVA.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry I didn't remember to post that sooner. It was my understanding (from reviewers and HP tech support) that the 1W panel was the only 400 nit variety; the other is 300 nits.

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I installed an on-screen hardware monitor program and checked Skyrim LE (with ~120 mods) at High settings on my i5 Surface Book (1st Gen) w/dGPU. It's definitely GPU limited. The CPU cruises along at around 50% while the GPU stays pegged at 99% while in the open world.

With this knowledge I can target my next device to better suit my usage.

4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What kind of leather are we talking about here?

I'm vegan and against animal cruelty, but if this isn't authentically ripped right off a happy cow, I'm out guys.

5. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, it's the real deal...

6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

I remember our HP rep claiming that that it was the same leather source that Cole Han uses for their high end goods.

7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank god.

8. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

I have just realized that thunderbolt 3's eGPU connectivity has to be enabled by the pc maker, and I've never seen this info on any spec sheet. Anybody know:

1. whether the folio has eGPU connectivity enabled, and
    2. if so, what eGFX / eGPU would be a good fit?

According to thunderbolttechnology.net, the eGPU vendor is supposed know this:

"As part of the certification requirement, Thunderbolt 3 certified eGFX vendors are required to maintain a list of compatible PC systems along with a list of graphics cards they qualify as compatible for the given enclosure’s thermal and power design."

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/b...s-generic-pcie-expansion-enclosures-explained

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  9. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Folio running with an HP Omen Accelerator with an MSI RX580 (which I happened to already have).

The problem with the required certification is that it is done by the eGPU manufacturer at the time their eGPU is released, so systems like the Folio may not be listed just because they are too new.

kurt corbin likes this.
  10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I stopped in to a suburban Detroit Metro Best Buy today to take a peek and hopefully a poke at the Spectre Folio and....no dice. None on hand to demo or in stock, and the plan to have this is TBD. A tad disappointing but probably for the best.

Bronsky likes this.