HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Kurt, my figure comes from testing around 50 laptops and tablet-laptop hybrids over the past year. It has nothing to do with that particular smackdown.

Fans have nothing to do with performance and benchmark results- as long as the passive cooling solution is adequate and the processor cores aren't reaching thermal throttle. Fanless is simply a consumer option (or a default for 5 watt CPUs) and is not a criteria for benchmark comparisons.

The HP, being a 5 watt package and apparently having a good heatsink, comes nowhere thermal throttling. The Surface Pro 6 has one hella massive heatsink and 4 copper pipe cooling solution, and it too does not come close to thermal max.

2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Generally, games with large open world maps are very CPU heavy. So Fallout 4, Far Cry 5, but not so much games like Destiny or Overwatch. RTS like Civ VI is all about the CPU and your GPU is pretty unimportant.

JoeS and dellaster like this.
  3. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

This one confuses me. I definitely have an AU0572D display that behaves like the AU0552D 2 watt device visually and from a battery life perspective. Any thoughts?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Well now I’m confused too. We were told that the 572 was the 1 watt panel (or was 1 watt capable). There are a few possible options. The first option is that we got bad information and the 572 is a two watt panel as well.

The second possibility is that HP possibly because of issues like what dstrauss saw and we are continuing to see with our engineering sample, made some changes to how they are driving the panel (hardware and software) to disable the lower power modes and are driving it more like a 2 watt display.

And by the way, the percentage brightness number you see what you hit the brightness key/slider is not nessecarily accurate or meaningful as a measure of power consumption. We have seen displays that hit peak brightness at what windows reports as 60% and increasing to 100% doesn’t actually make the display any brighter or if it does, it’s a case of over driving the backlight which has other adverse effects such as lowering the black level.

Additionally we have seen where 25% according to windows might actually be 17% power (or similar. It’s even weirder with OLED.

That all being said, we haven’t had either the 552 or 572 in house for testing so I’m speculating here. The behavior that dstaruss had with his panel was very similar to what we saw with our engineering sample

It’s too bad there aren’t any software tools you can load on a computer itself to accurately measure power consumption of individual components. We have a very expensive hardware tool that does it for us, but it sits between the computer and the display.

Last but not least and the most hopeful , its possible with HP’s engineering resources etc, that it is a 1 watt display and that they (HP) have solved the issues specifically for their device

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  5. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

I did go buy another folio from best buy with a AU0552D display, configured them to the same levels of output brightness and ran the same battery benchmarks on them. Power consumption was the same at max brightness and 150 nits over several 5 hours tests. Even looping 1080P video 6 hours at a time produced a consistent 4% battery draw per 30 min on both displays. I did this at full brightness and 150 nits. Same result.

Sounds like option 2 is whats most likely happening. I'll decide in a week or so if I'm going to keep this one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  6. desertlap

Thanks for the info. These new 1 watt panels are a combination of display , an intel made (or intel spec) controller and software all of which are required to hit the lower power mark.

I don't know what you are using to measure nits output, but the other key to these displays is that they can also hit 400 plus nits at maximum output. Our engineering sample tests at just over 430 nits at full brightness. It would be great to know what both the 552 and 572 panels hit as maximum brightness

7. QuiggyB

QuiggyB Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using a Spyder5 and running DisplayCal. The 572 was 342 out of the box and the 552 was 311. This is with the green channel raped way up. With the colors balanced the 572 was 311 and the 552 was 284. I made a post on page 27 that details all of that.

8. desertlap

That's interesting and helpful and yes now that I went back and looked more closely I see that :)

Interesting too about the green push. I posted about seeing that with our engineering sample further back in the thread. And experientially green push can represent itself as fuzziness, blurry, or low contrast look especially with a black text/white page. That what dstrauss reported with his unit.

As you might know, the new intel 1 watt displays (at the risk of greatly over simplifying) apply "turbo boost" like technology in order to provide a brighter yet more efficient display. I.E they can't put out 400 nits of brightness for an extended period of time but can in burst. HDR video would be the best use case for this

As I have posted, we have had lots of issues with our engineering sample. We found out that there is now another panel available with the 1 watt tech. We ordered it and it should get here this week. I'm half tempted to go twist my bosses arm and see if I can get one of the folios in house to test too. Plus I really like the form factor and design of the folio and have been wanting to try one out more thoroughly :)

9. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

For what it's worth, I'm finding that I regularly reach for my Spectre Folio instead of my Yoga C930. Don't misunderstand, the C930 is a beautiful, fast, powerful, capable device!! It's one of the best laptops I've ever used, but...I just grab the Folio because of how easy it is to carry, travel with, stable on the lap or anywhere else for that matter. No fan noise or any sort of heat issue, yet it's snappy so no issues there either. In fact, even though the C930 is more powerful and a beauty of a 2-in-1, I think I'm going to sell it and keep the Folio. Both have USB-C/Thunderbolt etc, and the C930 has Wacom with a siloed pen! Yet, I still grab the Folio whenever I leave my office - N-Trig is fine for note-taking, which is all I do. Hate letting the C930 go, but I just don't need all these devices! Folio, baby, you're it!!

dceggert, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I finally remembered where I saw the 400 nit number for my system - it was on the invoice confirmation from my sales person:

Hi Dale! Sorry I was out of the office yesterday. Looking at your order confirmation, it seems that that is not accurate info, please see below. It appears it is the 400 nit panel.

HPSepectreFolio.PNG
    Don't know why I thought I saw it in the info program, but there it is for what it's worth.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018