HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, no longer a guinea pig - after three straight days of run-arounds at telephone support, I finally tried chat and they have issued an RMA and I am awaiting my FedEx Shipping label for the return. The young lady at chat didn't even "disappear" while checking on the return - just automatically processed it and asked me to detail what I knew to pass along to engineering. Best of luck to those of you sticking with it, but they have still not confirmed in any way whether this is the 1W panel or not, but they also don't flinch when I give them panel manufacturer, model, and symptoms...

Now, back to my quest in search of a method for stiffening the GB12 origami keyboard.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  2. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm thinking the BB version isn't the 1-watt panel since I'm not experiencing the issues when scrolling or the washed out colors that you were with yours. As I recall, Lisa said her Folio came from BB too and was not the 1-watt panel but a 2-watt panel and that she was not experiencing the same issues you were. So far, my Folio is great. I'm amazed at how the i7Y pushes whatever I'm doing at snappy speeds and with no actual heat in the process. As I mentioned before, I'm not an IT pro by any means, but the BB version of the Spectre Folio is truly a terrific stick-it-under-your-arm and travel device, or even as a workstation hooked up to multiple monitors and other equipment.

By the way, what's your overall impression of the HP Thunderbolt 3 dock? Is it finicky? Does it charge the Folio so you only need one cable from your device? Interested to hear your impressions and experience.

As far as your quest to improve the origami keyboard for your GB12, I wish you the best. From my experience with it, clamping the GB12 more securely to the cover is the real trick since I had it take a header onto the carpet while the cover stayed on my lap. Maybe duct tape?:D

ORTOX, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  3. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a chance to check out the device in person at my local BB last night. Overall, fairly impressed.

The videos and pictures I had seen made me think it was a fair bit bigger and bulkier than it turned out to be in person. It’s actually quite sleek and light.

The screen (presumably the 2w) seemed quite nice and clear. Ran an HD Thor Ragnorak trailer on YouTube to check it out and found the colours to pop and be accurate.

The pen seemed decent, though only tested it for a moment and on the stock drawing app.

The mechanics of turning it into tablet mode and media mode were cool, but surprisingly not quite as great as I was hoping. The media mode still had a large footprint (obviously the same size as when it’s in laptop mode, but that didn’t quite hit me until I saw it in person...much larger footprint than a surface pro with the keyboard off). I also found the tablet mode to feel bulkier than I would have liked and probably would find myself only using it in that mode for note taking or marking up a document. Doesn’t seem like it would be an overly comfortable sketching device for very long periods.

All in all, I liked it a fair amount, and would consider getting one on the right deal, but it didn’t blow me away the way I was expecting. From my short time with the device would probably give it a solid 7/10. Though in fairness it’s hard to fully appreciate a device while it’s sitting on a BB counter and an employee is looking over your shoulder.

EDIT: I wasn't able to discern any PWM being utilized to dim the screen.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    dellaster and Telstar1948 like this.
  4. dstrauss

Dock - it was the real bright spot of the experience. HP says the 90W Elite TB3 dock is "not compatible" but think it is more of a case of not tested and certified. When I plugged it in, it was already hooked up to two QHD displayport monitors, a HP Laserjet 4250, Surface keyboard, and 1G Ethernet - it found everything, loaded all the correct drivers, and everything was up and running in a few minutes. They got that part right.

Origami Project - I think that is going to be an experience in spitting into a gail force wind, but what the heck, until we see @desertlap 's rumored Galaxy Book Pro, nothing else but time on my hands...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Telstar1948 likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

One last development on the display front (though we should possibly break it off to its own thread). The engineers working on the 1 watt display we have , had a conference call with some of their counterparts at AU. The short response was that "we were powering it wrong... :) )

Turns out that there are a bunch of very specific power requirements for this display and that just hooking it to a typical power connection in a laptop won't produce good results. Without going too deep in to arcane tech, filtering and peak and low voltage requirements are EXTREMELY strict.
    We actually don't have a power supply that meets the requirements in house and have had to order one.

Given the complex power envelope of a modern laptop, I wonder if HP didn't do their homework driver wise and/or cheaped out on the power delivery subsystem.

ORTOX and dellaster like this.
  6. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

HP folks generally do their homework for halo devices, and from talking with them, they're very invested in this machine and its development that involved a close partnership with Intel. My guess is the drivers need some fixing (that's on Intel- not the first time they've botched graphics drivers) or Dale had a bum unit.

I really doubt HP decided to use substandard power delivery on a halo laptop at this price with so much heavy engineering invested- esp. when working directly with Intel to spec this machine. I do wonder if this display option was released too soon- before Intel got the drivers and firmware right.

dellaster and Telstar1948 like this.
  7. desertlap

I would agree with you Lisa and appreciate your knowledge and connections with the manufacturers. Unfortunately my previous experience with the probook line left a bad taste in my mouth with HP and has turned me in to a bit of a skeptic.

That being said, my gut feeling based on our very limited exposure to this panel tech is that it's mostly if not all a driver issue. If I had a folio to take apart I could possibly offer a more informed opinion.

8. dstrauss

@MobileTechReview and @desertlap

I would tend to agree with Lisa. No doubt this is a halo device, and I've been seeing rave reviews (even on Forbes) for the 2W FHD units. Knowing how Intel really is lackadaisical at driver development (remember the first Iris integrated graphics that performed so poorly), my bet is HP has been caught bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Lisa, I'm just curious - does your panel "blur out" when scrolling through text, almost to the point of the text being unreadable even in a moderate scroll? The refresh rate on this 1W panel is painfully slow in that regard.

9. desertlap

I hope that's the case. Everything else about this seems to be top notch and I'm glad to see a significant risk being taken by anyone other than Apple.

Unfortunately for me, asking HP isn't an option since the above mentioned probook issues, I doubt they are fans of mine either.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

tell HP we need a halo EMR device!!! (for the consumer (prosumer?) market