HP Spectre Folio

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Steve S, Oct 1, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Samsung Ativ something or other - big difference here is that the screen on the HP locks into a real laptop hinge in the top so this looks to be a real laptop - no origami, kickstand, or bails - just an honest to goodness hinge like the Surface Book.

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oh you're right, I misremembered. I thought you could push the screen back to a laptop mode, but no, on the Ativ Q, the magic hinge attached to the center of the base, so no true laptop mode. Good eye!

YVerloc likes this.
  3. dstrauss

A very interesting assessment by PeterBright:
    Hands-on: HP’s leather-clad laptop might just be the best convertible around.

"Another minor increment to the Surface Pro isn't going to make it a better laptop; an iteration of the Surface Laptop is unlikely to make it as flexible as a convertible or two-in-one. For a lot of people, I think the Spectre Folio will be better than either Microsoft system. I don't think it's quite the reinvention that HP claims, but it's definitely a smart refinement and improvement of the convertible concept."

PS - the blogosphere is really smitten with the Folio 13 design, and I dare say it is all they will be talking about after the Microsoft "Moment" event ends (well, that and lack of USB-C Thunderbolt when HP manages to include 3 USB-C ports, two being TB3).

PPS - the pre-configured LTE model (i7-8550Y, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, Gigabit 4G LTE, keyboard, and stylus) goes for $1499...making that "refreshed" Surface Pro LTE look pretty skimpy at this point...even the Surface Go LTE, with keyboard and stylus, will likely cost $908...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Ouch, don't remind me. This is an innovative design by HP. I wonder if Rick is still with the company. He was the reason my Slate 500 experience was as good as it was.

dceggert likes this.
  5. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to say the way this Folio flips between use scenarios looks to be ideal.

I have a Z20t. To switch from laptop to tablet, I have to eject the tablet portion from the base. If I want the full advantage of dual battery life, I have to flip the tablet around and re-dock it. Or I have to set the dock aside somewhere if I'm not going to use it. It can be cumbersome at times. This looks like a really convenient method of having all of the different use types with a very easy to transform layout.

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please let HP use this to get some leverage w/ Microsoft to resolve the whole pen selection / scrolling thing --- we really need a resolution to it which includes an option to go back to the original behavior.

Anyone know how the 4K Dreamcolor displays work outdoors in bright/direct sunlight?

7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really like how HP put this one together except for the 16/9 aspect ratio. I suspect they did that so that it wouldn't have a tendency to tip over in laptop mode. Otherwise that screen is amazing for drawing just 1W. The reported battery life, if at all true to life, rivals the WOA devices while offering full win32 desktop applications, even 64-bit ones.

I have a Kaby Lake i5 Y (formerly known as m5) Yoga and I can attest that it's plenty powerful enough for Office apps and other typical uses. It even almost played Skyrim acceptably at lowest settings (20-25 FPS max @ 720p), but sometimes bogged down on scripts from too many mods.

And that's why it wouldn't fit my usage. Even with a TB3 external GPU games would tend to bottleneck on the processor. Too bad; it does spark my gadget lust otherwise. ;)

Bronsky, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

The 16:9 screen ration is a non-starter. Love the aspect ratio on my SP2017.

Windows Central likes the device:

9. dstrauss

It does look big in Daniel's video, and he is flat wrong - the current selling versions, and prices he quotes, are only for a full HD (1920x1080) display.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Could not go back to 16:9. Particularly in a 10" device.

Marty likes this.