HP slice battery from ebay, anyone has bad experience?

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by whazzup, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

as above.

Has anyone experienced problems with their slice batteries (battery bloated after usage, premature charge loss, etc) that were bought from ebay?

Links to trusted sellers appreciated as well!! :D

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I hope I won't get dinged for this, but I have a 27XX slice battery that I bought for $85 from a Hong Kong based seller. I cannot locate the seller to recommend it, but as I have returned my last 2740 and will not be reordering, I would like to sell mine. It shows 100% capacity and I have used it exactly 4 times over about 40 days. I would like to get $50 for it. There are batteries on eBay over time that have sold for anywhere from $50 to $149. The best way to determine if the battery is likely to be good is to look at the feedback on the seller. Most of the Hong Kong based sellers, offering HP 27XX (works on 2710, 2730, 2740) for at least $75 have 98% - 100% ratings and hundreds of sales reported, and you can buy from them with complete confidence.

If you want to buy mine, I am located in the Washington, DC area, will ship however you prefer and charge my exact cost for shipping. I will take only PayPay payments, unless you happen to live in the DC area and want to pick it up and pay cash.

If you want to buy a new one from one of the Hong Kong sellers on eBay, you have several to choose from with near perfect records and products offered for $50-$85 right now, though I do not think the $50 seller has a rating. It takes about 10 days to receive the battery from Hong Kong, and shipping adds about $10.

PM me if you are interested in buying mine, or if you have any further questions.

3. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Why are you giving up on the 2740p?

4. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

Lovelaptops,
    I sent you a pm about the battery.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry I didn't notice this or I would've responded earlier. I know I have been all over the map on this decision and could easily be labeled "flaky" on the whole subject. I have tried hard to "love" the 2740 and still do, but it is prone to build quality problems, easy to see on these threads, and design constraints - eg, 1.8" FDD, none of the most useful ports, worst battery life without additional battery and no expandability without using the expansion base. Then I have touted the x201t as "my tablet," but never ended up taking delivery because at the time it was not being discounted and I would've had to pay an extra $700 to equip it like the 2740, which was discounted a bit more each time I had to RMA it! But here's the real answer as to why I switched loyalties yet again:

While I was awaiting shipment of my FOURTH 2740 I was perusing eBay and noticed a Fujitsu T730 refurb., with the high bid at $750. I had read many favorable reviews of the Fujitsus, other than their retail prices, which are the highest by some margin, and I loved the modular bay concept, as well as the standard DVD drive and HDMI port. Well, there was some 'divine intervention,' as I won the auction at my starting bid, $761 - and I honestly had forgotten I had a bid in until I got the email notifying me I won! That, in the end, is why I decided finally to give up on the 2740 ;) :D :D

At that price, provided the refurb was not a heavily abused or otherwise damaged (it arrived looking and performing as brand new, but see below for subsequent event) machine, it was a true no-brainer. It has a Core i5-520M, dual digitizer, FJ's ultra-bright (300 nit) "outdoor screen with wide viewing angles," and, well, terrible "standard" components: 2GB RAM, 160 GB 5400 rpm HDD and WinPro7 32 bit. But for $150 (bringing total investment to $911), I have it up to 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200 rpm HDD and, in the works, upgrade to 64 bit OS.

I really do like my T730 a great deal, but it is not without its faults compared to the 2740. First, the form factor and keyboard of the 2740 is far superior. The 2740 just looks and feels far more modern, upscale, thin and light. Also the 2740's keyboard is far more comfortable (as is almost any notebook computer made today; the 730's keyboard feels small, looks and feels cheap and plastic-y and makes noises accordingly. And I really miss the 2740's keyboard light.

The above notwithstanding, all the other comparisons fall in favor of the Fujitsu. It comes standard with many very useful features with just a bit of weight/size penalty: 1) DVD drive and HDMI port standard 2) the best multitouch screen available; it's better than the newest BOE Hydis "outdoor" screen on the HP and at least as good as all but the "outdoor" screen on the X201t which is not multitouch; 3) the modular bay, an unbeatable feature that none of the others can match, even with their expansion bases, which add cost, weight and bulk. You can use this bay for the included DVD drive, a second battery (base battery gets a realistic 3.5 hrs in use that the 2740 only gets about 2.5 hrs with) or, most useful of all, a second, 2.5" FDD - either SSD or HDD. The result is, you can have up to 1TB of 7.2 rpm HDD storage or a small internal SSD for the OS and key/slow programs and up to 640GB HDD in the modular bay. This truly turns the T-730 into a full fledged DTR machine in a compact package that is also a tablet you can take notes on, draw...(oh, you knew all of that!)

Bottom line: unless you have a reason NOT to get a Fujitsu, among the "big 3," it's hard to justify the HP or Lenovo for the same money, even if the HP looks so much better and they both have better keyboards. That modular bay gives the Fujitsu so much flexibility and power that it is very hard to argue around in an otherwise quite nice computer with, arguably, the best multitouch display out there but, honestly, I am less sure of the right one to go with at full retail - it would truly depend on what coupons/discounts available at the time and whether you can foresee any need for the flexibility of the modular bay (especially, the second HDD), or the standard HDMI port. (Bizarrely, the T900, the 13.3" "bigger brother" to the 730, does not have an HDMI or other digital video port.) As one who types a great deal, the Fujistu keyboard could be a deal-breaker for me, but I am getting used to it and I have 2 other laptops with far better keyboards. I have noticed that I am relatively lonely in my evaluation of the Fujitsu keyboard; most reviewers either like it or at least don't cite it as a weakness. Keyboards are very personal, I have found.

Finally, we get to the bad news: the MoBo on my 730 seems to have blown after 2 weeks in service - or re-service as the case may be. I have lobbied Fujitsu to send me a new (refurbed) machine and, if they can fix mine, just put it into refurb inventory and sell. The tech support "escalations" manager expressed some doubt about the repair of my unit, though he didn't elaborate. He, and two other FJ techs, stated vehemently that they had never encountered such a problem with a 730 (they've been out since June) - specifically, moderate overheating followed by an inability to boot.

Stay tuned. I have purchased numerous refurbed notebooks before and never had a problem. It's all modular, solid state (and one spinning drive) and if you replace enough components, you have a like-new computer. If Fujitsu pulled a fast one by shipping me a computer that had been returned more than once for overheating problems and never repaired it, shame on them. On the other hand, if they [truly] fix mine, or, better, replace it, and all goes well from there, I am firmly in the camp of "buy the FJ T730 at the Fujitsu refurb store and get a $2,000 list computer for $800-$1,000 (I got an unusually great price (big football Sunday for the last 5 hrs of the auction!), I would have - and offered to - pay as much as $1,000 for it.

This info should probably not be buried in a 2740 slice battery thread, but that's where the question was asked. Spread the word if you can. Feel free to PM me or perhaps respond to one of my posts in the Fujitsu forum if you have more questions.

Jeff