HP SlateBook x2 and HP Split x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kitenski, May 15, 2013.

1. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

The HP Split x2 is the experience I was hoping for when I got the HP Envy x2:thumbsup::cool: (that almost seems like a slick toy netbook now).

At first I was worried about the size (width of the 13.3"16:9 widescreen is almost as wide as my old 15.4" 16:10 notebook which look huge next to the HP Envy x2) but my hands have no problems with the comfortable weight distribution. I actually enjoy the size more & using it more frequently as a tablet than with my HP Envy x2 though I may still be in a honeymoon phase having received it a few days ago. I did notice depending on the chair I'm sitting on does effect how much the full clamshell weight bothers my legs so there is the ergonomic issue. At home I actually prefer to sit on a 75cm Exercise Ball like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U2Q60 that is supposedly-arguably healthier than more stationary chairs.

Pros: Super snappy silent Performance ( 2x RAM + Haswell) is such a relief compared to the Envy x2 if you actually like to multitask on computers. Speakers are great for this form factor & a significant upgrade over HP Envy x2. I was surprised to like the 13.3" screen as much as I do (HP Envy x2 screen seems rather short now) & my trackpad is actually great.

Cons: BestBuy-base screen & Wi-Fi compromises vs upgrades:

The HP Envy x2 screen does indeed look ~ 2x as bright rated at 400 nit vs 200 nit for BestBuy Split x2. I'm actually considering ordering the upgraded screen option at HP that is rated at 400 nit & 1080p but I was not impressed by the screen on the HP Spectre x2 1080p at the Microsoft store (unclear if this would be the same screen as the upgrade option for the Split x2) & photos-reports of the upgraded screen from owners do not look significantly brighter so I'm not sure if it's worth all the hassle of returns-expense etc but I may want to experience it first hand. I may go back to the Microsoft store with my HP Split x2 to compare to the HP Spectre x2 1080p screen. I would also upgrade the Wireless for $20 so my 5GHz network could also be seen (without a USB adapter like this Amazon.com: Edimax EW-7811UTC AC600 Dual-Band USB Adapter, Mini Size Easy to Carry, Supports Both 11AC ( 5GHz Band ) and 11n ( 2.4GHz Band ) Wi-Fi Connectivity, Upgrades your PC / Laptop for Exceeding Streaming and Faster Download: Computers & Access that would only work docked), currently only sees my 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

My original plan was to order from HP but the $200 off $650 BestBuy deal was a tempting opportunity to give it a chance.

I should mention that my sister in law was so impressed when I showed her my HP Envy x2 & HP Split x2 in BestBuy on Black Friday that she ordered one but hers does seem a bit more floppy than mine so there may be build quality variations accounting for some of the complaints. I seem to have gotten a good one with solid keyboard & trackpad but I did not install any updates yet & given some of the complaints not sure I'm in a hurry ..

I'm so satisfied with the HP Split x2 ultrabook that I personally feel it is worth considering paying for the upgrades with coupon at HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC | HP® Official Store as I'd prefer brighter screen option with Dual-band Wi-Fi. I've said that 12.1-12.5" may actually be the best mobile compromise. The more you travel the more you want a light compact model like 11.6" & why some may even consider 10.1". For mostly home use so far I'm loving 13.3" & walking around in tablet mode. I should say I'm a Samsung Note 2 owner so I'm a fan of larger screens whether or not they eventually become more mainstream as the Note line has. I've read that Samsung is developing 13.3" tablets with high pixel density & even rumors of a 12.9" Apple iPads so this size may not seem as large in a few years..

Any further thoughts-comments millertime108 - others (e.g. on upgrade satisfaction & whether I should further consider it)?:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Lobo_wolf14

Lobo_wolf14 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ugh.. Now you really have me wondering if I should return my BestBuy deal and try to hold-off until July for some kind of sale on a customized Split X2. I just can't justify paying almost double just for a screen and wireless-AC with $650 already being over the price-point I was originally targeting.
    Honestly, at the $900+ price point I would go for an ASUS T300LA instead.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

The $650 BestBuy sale was incredible bang for the buck so feel good about it especially if that's closer to your budget.

It's all relative & today for the first time I used it in many varying lighting conditions including bright sun next to my ~2x bright Envy x2 & what I noticed in comparison was a desire for an ability to be able to make it brighter. The whites looked whiter on the Envy x2 rather than grayish from the lower brightness & pixel density of the Bestbuy HP Split x2 ultrabook.

I did not expect to love the Split x2 ultrabook performance-size & tablet mode this much (so think it may be personally worth the +$70 screen + $20 Wireless-AC +$230 base price over BestBuy BlackFriday sale price especially if I can find a decent working coupon) & curious how much the upgraded screen would look closer to my Envy x2 as they are supposedly both rated at 400 nits with a higher pixel density (Envy x2 has same res but being smaller yields higher pixel density) but again I was not particularly blown away by the Spectre x2 1080p screen at the Microsoft store the first time I saw it so will check out my smartphone pics again & try to go back.

I'm still playing around with the all the settings & one thing that I just found helpful was to increase font size & page zoom in Chrome settings as the larger darker letters improve contrast with the grayer whites of the BestBuy Split x2. I'm not trying to give something for owners to obsess on as most forum readers are already more fastidious than the mainstream market but I'm really amazed by the versatility of this Split x2 (+ in combination with Chromecast-it's the best computing experience I've ever had & I've spent $4000+ on notebooks back in the day) & curious about maximizing its potential & enjoyment.:cool:

We have until Jan 15 to further evaluate & return to BestBuy with extended Holiday returns but would appreciate more feedback from owners of the upgraded screen if they are still out there..:hi2:

P.S. - noticed your edit-mention of the Asus T300 but I prefer the up to 33%+ longer battery life of HP Split x2 even given its weight..

4. Lobo_wolf14

Thanks for the input. I'll probably keep it then. Have you had any chance to check into what all sensors it supports? The Surface Pro 2 markets its Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, and Magnetometer. I believe Intel's definition of Ultrabook requires a certain number of these, but leaves it up to the manufacturer to decide. For some reason HP doesn't seem to care to mention these as sales points or even in the spec sheets.

5. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

Well how do you like it? You have over 5 weeks to evaluate it..I have not seen mention of the sensors including text searching the User Guide (besides a light sensor) but if I come across I'll let you know. Can you use the apps-play the games that you want?

I did manage to increase the brightness closer to the HP Envy x2 beyond the obvious (Charm menu Settings->Screen {slide to top} & Settings & Change PC settings->General->Screen->turn off adjust auto brightness) is to go into Intel HD Graphics Control Panel->Display Settings->Color & slide Brightness from 0 to 10 & Apply (can always restore defaults easily). If you go beyond this it will wash colors out much more noticeably. This makes the whites of web pages for example look whiter. I'll likely only use that during the daylight & turn back to 5 or 0 at night.

I also "Adjust ClearType text" in Control Panel->Display to what looked best to increase contrast & readability.

These changes in addition to last post's Chrome font-zoom changes made a significant difference today. I notice the lower resolution now more than the brightness but still playing around with the settings. I tested it hard today & everything's working remarkably well but full brightness obviously negatively impacts battery life so I can only imagine the full HD double bright 400 nit screen would tax battery life.

I'll keep playing around with the settings but I'll mention as I type that this keyboard also feels great (I was underwhelmed by the camera in the camera app but haven't tested Skype out yet though usually use my Samsung Note2 there). I do remember when I first got my Samsung Note 2 I always kept it at full brightness eventually fine tuning that much more depending on lighting & use.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  6. Lobo_wolf14

Ah, I was told there was a restocking fee once opened, but I just noticed that part of BestBuy's extended return policy there is currently No Restocking fee. Hopefully there's no fine front somewhere that I'm missing. Maybe I will finally break open this box.

7. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

I was told there would be no fees if gift purchase with verifiable online link so you could check it out if you are still in the market:

Return & Exchange Policy - BestBuy

"Extended Holiday Returns
    Gift purchases made between November 3, 2013, and December 31, 2013, qualify for our Holiday Return and Exchange policy. Products (goods) purchased as gifts may be returned through January 15, 2014".

EXTENDED HOLIDAY RETURNS: Gift purchases made between November 3, 2013 and December 31, 2013 qualify for our Holiday Return and Exchange policy. Products (goods) purchased as gifts may be returned through January 15, 2014. Terms of our standard policy (including, but not limited to "non-returnable items" and "photo identification required") apply. Carrier contracts for mobile phones and other third party service providers (e.g., DirecTV contracts) do not qualify for the holiday gift policy. Geek Squad® Protection/Trade-In Plus plans returned after 30 days from date of purchase will be refunded at a pro-rated amount. No restocking fees":

twospirits likes this.
  8. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

I did notice today that the screen gets pleasingly-noticeably brighter when plugged in & conversely dimmer, duller-grayer when unplugged; not night & day difference obviously but noticeable & occurs over a few seconds off AC power even though my power settings are for 100% with auto-dimming off on either battery or AC. I have not accepted any updates yet so if someone is running the latest updates let me know if this remains the same.. :hi2:

The only way to make the HP Split x2 brighter closer to the HP Envy x2 beyond the obvious (Charm menu Settings->Screen {slide to top} & Settings & Change PC settings->General->Screen->turn off adjust auto brightness) is to go into Intel HD Graphics Control Panel->Display Settings->Color & slide Brightness from 0 to 10 & Apply (can always restore defaults easily). If you go beyond this it will wash colors out much more noticeably. This makes the whites of web pages for example look whiter. I've been keeping it at 5 when plugged in or 10 when unplugged.

My Envy x2 is so bright at max brightness there isn't a noticeable difference whether plugged in or not with same settings..:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

I noticed some good coupons at HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC | HP® Official Store

Also posted http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/59053-hp-spectre-x2-2.html#post359523

BTW, I'm beginning to think that the interior keyboard on the split x2 is "Plastic and glass-fiber finish" as listed at BestBuy while the exterior of the clamshell may be aluminum but I still seem to have gotten a good quality so far solid unit..

HP Split x2 Ultrabook 2in1 13.3" TouchScreen Laptop 4GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive 13-g110dx - Best Buy

10. trekker44

trekker44 Pen Pal - Newbie

In case anyone is thinking about upgrading to a hard disk, It won't work. Seems like this is a special build for BB. I order the appropriate disk cab and disk and there is not any spot available on the HDMI board to plus in the disk cable. So make sure you all understand that. In another posting, this special BB model cannot have it's memory upgraded to 8 either (I have not confirmed).:confused: