HP SlateBook x2 and HP Split x2

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kitenski, May 15, 2013.

1. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered mine ~6AM Thursday for home delivery (scheduled to arrive Wednesday 12/4), sold out nearly everywhere locally to the point that they quickly only had it available in a small number of less convenient stores with no delivery options..when I told my sister in law about it after showing her my Envy x2 she bought one & BestBuy originally gave her the older model I pointed out to her (I knew as soon as I saw the vent for the fan) so she had to drive 30 min each way to get it from a store that also soon after sold out but she seems content now..

Curious where is "High performance mode" found? Does it make it brighter than 100% with auto-dimming off? I don't see that in my Envy x2 & want to know where to quickly look for it when the Split x2 ultrabook arrives -Thnx MOFO (hey gotta use that amusing name whenever appropriate;))

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Analytical Guy

Analytical Guy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been playing with my Split x2 for a few days now. Some observations and a question.

Brightness:
    I can't quite understand what people are worried about here. I think I've heard that it only has 200 Nits, and people would prefer 400...? I don't know about that, but I have used it in a pretty bright family room, with windows and French doors open on a sunny day, and I have never wanted to raise the brightness above 50%.

Vent / grill / fan:
    I have a vent or grill that runs horizontally across most of the width of the top of the back side. It looks like the picture shown at Review HP Split x2 Convertible - NotebookCheck.net Reviews -- just above the words "Rear grilles are for ventilation and not sound."

However, I'm pretty sure I bought the 4th gen model. The box says "13-M110DX," and when I look at the System control panel, I see "Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010Y CPU @ 1.30 GHz." So I'm curious about TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS's comment that he could tell his sister had the older model when he saw "the vent for the fan."

TBP, is your "vent" different than my "grill?" I'm sure my model has a fan, but I'm also pretty sure that it's a 4th gen processor.

Weight:
    The tablet portion is a little over 2 pounds, but it feels more comfortable in my hands than a Surface Pro -- maybe because the edges are smooth / curved rather than squared sharply off. Or maybe because at 13" diagonal, the weight is more spread out, or seems to "make sense" for what I'm holding. When I'm on the couch, I find that I want to let it rest on my legs, or the side of the couch. When I used it in bed, I was on my side and it was sitting upright, rotation turned off, like the monolith from 2001. (Hey, wasn't that monolith 16x9 too? :)

As a large tablet, it seems comfortable enough. With its base attached, I'm pretty sure I won't be carrying the whole 5-pound thing with me anywhere. As far as I'm concerned, when it's on that base, it is *docked*.

Question:
    About the Disconnect Warning message that shows up when I remove the tablet from the base...

The message says that I shouldn't just disconnect without doing the "Remove Hardware" action from Windows. I've seen two different videos where the reviewer got the same warning and just kind of ignored it. I think we all assume that the warning only applies if you've added a hard drive to the base.

I turned the warning off, but I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion that I'm doing the right thing. Having to mess around in Windows each time I disconnect would undermine the delight of snapping off the tablet and taking it with me.

Can anyone conform that just disconnecting is safe?

Thanks, and I hope this is helpful.

twospirits likes this.
  3. millertime108

millertime108 Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys,

sorry this took so long but attached is a pic of the screen comparison with my split x2 g100 with the 1920 x 1080 at full brightness and the hp split m110 with a 1366 x 768 screen at full brightness(I know its not another g100 but close enough). Hope this helps
    pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS likes this.
  4. TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS

TABLETBOOKPC_HYBRIDS Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks millertime108, the difference does not look that dramatic in that photo & according to Mobiletechreview's last generation HP Split x2 review that m model is 150 nits of brightness vs 200 nits for this g model. I did compare it to my Envy x2 at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/56868-hp-slatebook-x2-hp-split-x2-7.html#post356146 that is 400 nit like your upgraded screen.

As mentioned there would appreciate you addressing questions at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/56868-hp-slatebook-x2-hp-split-x2-6.html#post354539 or posted again below as you are the only poster I know with the upgrades..-Thnx & also how are you liking it:

Good to read, do you find the full HD res on a 13.3" screen makes some non-scaling apps & fonts too small? 1080p trailers look good? Knowing now that my Envy x2 is also 400 nits had me leaning toward the full HD screen 2 x nits screen until I saw the HP Spectre 13 x2 1080p screen at a Microsoft store as linked-mentioned earlier in this thread that made the screen upgrade less must have compared to the $650 BestBuy deal.

Does the 500GB HD always spin or can you turn it off when not needed or does it power down on its own with not in use? If it always spins sucking power, making noise, vibrating etc I don't think I want it, if it was there was an SSD option I would get that but I'm leaning toward just getting a 128 SD card & when I need more space & I have a small USB 3.0 2TB WD My Passport external HD. If it does power down on its own I will consider it as long as it doesn't add noticeable weight?

Updated Wireless option..have you tried to bluetooth the tablet when detached? Do you find it useful-worth that upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Lobo_wolf14

Lobo_wolf14 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all, I'm looking into the Split X2. More specifically the BestBuy 13-g110dx. I can't find much detail on these Haswell Split X2s at all.

Among my core concerns are:
    a) HP and BestBuy state that it has Intel HD 4400 Graphics. Intel states HD 4200 Graphics as a spec for the i5-4202Y processor. Can someone verify what it actually has?

b) There is no mention of accelerometer, eCompass, magnetometer, etc. I managed to talked to an HP rep and couldn't confirm, but did mention that they have orientation sensing. Can someone check out a Windows 8 application/game and see if there is any accelerometer support on these?
    This is kind of important to me if I'm using a ...'tablet', otherwise I might as well get a cheaper ultrabook.

c) Some people mention the BestBuy model can't support RAM upgrades; some suspect they're soldered to the board. I honestly don't expect an answer to this one since nobody has an expired warranty yet. I'm wondering if maybe the documentation says the RAM can't be upgraded on the 13-g model only b/c it's a BB specific model and no 8GB option in this configuration is offered by BestBuy.

If anyone has knowledged answers, it is much appreciated. I'd very much like to know before I open it, so I can return it immediately if needed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. MOFO

MOFO Pen Pal - Newbie

It has Intel HD4200 graphics, but It's capable of some gaming if that's what your asking.
    Installed STEAM and some games I tried are fully playble and get 25FPS-30+FPS and hardly ever dips below unplayble framerates.

Dishonered
    DMC
    BorderLands 2
    Castlevania:LOS

7. Lobo_wolf14

Thanks for confirming my suspicion regarding the HD4200 graphics. Although gaming is not my intended purpose, it's nice to know decent games are playable... and that HP&BB need to correct their spec sheets.

As for sensors, I was looking for a list of sensors such as what's claimed to be available in the 'Sensor List' app. For example I see a free tilt-maze app that should work by tilting the tablet if the accelerometer is onboard. Ultimately, since I'm cheap and would rather not buy an Android tablet on top of this, I'd like to attempt an install of bluestacks and run Torque Pro. Torque can monitor sensors on the phone/tablet to monitor acceleration and G-forces of the car.

8. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

Besides a few reviews here and there on the older model, it's quite hard finding anything with this one. Regardless, I bought that very same model from Best Buy the day before Black Friday at the lower price which now is back to $899. and it still hasn't arrive. Seems to be stuck in UPS storage hell. Hopefully today it arrives.

Anyway, I can't seem to determine if there is a free upgrade to Windows 8.1, also you guys state its an Intel 4200 but the HP and Best Buy sites states 4400. Does it matter?

TS

9. Lobo_wolf14

I bought mine during Black Friday too and received it a few days ago. Honestly, it's sitting here in a box until I learn what sensors it has. I went into BestBuy today and found one at the other store to check out. The screen is a bit on the dim side (at least after staring at a Surface 2). However, they didn't have any logins to the Windows store, so I couldn't test out those apps that display sensor data. I did confirm that it does do orientation sensing.

Windows 8.1 is free for every device currently running Windows 8.

I can't speak regarding graphics. One review stated that the 4200 is better than the 4000; it also said the 4400 was Significantly improved upon the 4000. Take that as you may. Either way, neither are geared toward high-end graphics and I wasn't really planning on using any demanding games unless I get realllyyy bored on the flight.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  10. twospirits

twospirits Scribbler - Standard Member

Speaking of Best Buy, if one buys it online lets say 11/29 and its ships 12/1 but gets delayed by the shipping carrier until lets say Monday the 9th, does the return policy go into effect the day you buy the item or the day you receive the item? Seems that UPS for the third time this week failed to put the package on the truck to deliver it (even though they say in the logs that they did). :mad:
    Although this device is for my spouse and probably won't be returned (unless it's DOA) I'm curious of when the return policy starts or if one has to go through HP and their specific time frame?

TS